My Right Hand Is F'd
orion6324
Feb 25 2008, 03:03 PM
GMC:er
ok so ive been playing off and on now for about 20 yrs and [this might sound funny to some of you] ive always held my pick with 3 yes i said 3 fingers thumb index and middle and about 2 yrs ago a friend of mine said...man i just noticed you hold your pick with 3 fingers... and he convinced me to try a more normal thumb and index between the first knuckles approach so i did and i must say that artificial harmonics and some fast pedal tone picking on the low E IS alot easier....BUT...my muting with my right hand is just almost to the point of terrible when i play that way...im getting better at it and i know its just gonna take time[its like starting all over again] ....so my question is... have any of you ever had to make this kind of a drastic change after playing so long and does anyone have any tips or good advice on how to speed the process along?...thx

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 25 2008, 03:12 PM
Get to da Chopper!
yes yes me too smile.gif but for me it was only about 6 months tongue.gif

It took alot of time for me- i remember my muting sounded awful before and after the switch (for a while).

It took me a lot of patience to stick with the new pick approach but it totally payed off.

One exercise i remember doing alot of was playing a minor shape barre chord and resting my palm so that it would mute all of the strings (didnt need so much flesh to sound good). Then id pick out the notes with alternate picking but skipping a string each time like : 1st string, 3rd string, 2nd string, 4th string, 3rd string, 5 string, 4th string, 6th string < in that order while holding the barre chord shape and muting the strings. That definitely helped me get the feel of it.

Good luck i hope it all works out for you soon wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 25 2008, 04:32 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (orion6324 @ Feb 25 2008, 03:03 PM) *
have any of you ever had to make this kind of a drastic change after playing so long and does anyone have any tips or good advice on how to speed the process along?...thx

Yes! I changed the pick grip after 15 years of holding it in a bad way. Though it was good but without anything to compare with how could I think different?
I used to hold it between more betweeen the thump and index finger tips sort of. Now a days I curl my hand and hold the pick over the side of my index finger first joint and the finger print fart of my thumb.
That felt aquward for the first two weeks and my playing really sucked. But after I got used to it both my speed and accuracy increased so much it was ridicilous really.

The reason I changed my grip in the first place was of accuracy problems. I played a lot of errors and I lacked speed.
Today I don't. I still play my share of errors but never out of inaccuracy but from too high speed or complicated riffs my brain can't keep up with.

And with that little change I've noticed that when I don't have to concentrate on the picking all the time so much more comes for free. Improvisation, knowing the fretboard inside out (i don't always know the name of a note but I know in my head how it will sounds when I pick that string in that position), scales come easier etc.
That bad picking I used to have was really a bottle neck for a lot of other stuff. Kept my mind busy with the picking and lever could let the constructive stuff loose.
So I'd concider that part MOST important. Know your picking grip! But people will say "it's not that important, what workd for you is enough". But knowing myself how important it is I have to imagine these people saying "pich grip is not so important" just havn't experience it. And like I started, how to know what works and what doesn't if you don't try a new technique.
My approach then was to improve my technique or put the guitar on the shelf. Only took a couple of week of struggeling in the mud before I noticed I had improved. Today I'm as happy as guitarist I could be.

+Quote Post
orion6324
Feb 25 2008, 04:43 PM
thx for the replys fellas...ya im not gonna give up ill just stick with it till its right..another thing.....when i held it with 3 fingers before i could put my hand on the trem and leave it in one posotion no matter what string i was playing on and all my muting was great...GREAT I TELL YOU...lol...now im finding that if im going for say a bend on the high E at the 17th fret[just for example] i need to move my hand down[or closer to the ground i guess you would say] and change positions with it instead of just haveing it anchored in 1 position on the trem.....is that how you guys think of it too or am i off base with that?...thx again

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 25 2008, 04:49 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (orion6324 @ Feb 25 2008, 04:43 PM) *
thx for the replys fellas...ya im not gonna give up ill just stick with it till its right..another thing.....when i held it with 3 fingers before i could put my hand on the trem and leave it in one posotion no matter what string i was playing on and all my muting was great...GREAT I TELL YOU...lol...now im finding that if im going for say a bend on the high E at the 17th fret[just for example] i need to move my hand down[or closer to the ground i guess you would say] and change positions with it instead of just haveing it anchored in 1 position on the trem.....is that how you guys think of it too or am i off base with that?...thx again

I think the first question you have to ask yourself is if you have a problem with the present way of picking. Or if it's only your friend that does.

Start by deciding if you've got anything to gain from switching technique. In my case it was clear - if I hadn't improved accuracy my guitars would have been sold on eBay. In the process I also fould speed. Ftwin in my case.
What's your problem besides the cosmetic three fingers instead of two?

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 25 2008, 04:54 PM
Instructor
When I started playing, I used to downpick everything, and I mean everything. I told all my friends that I could play any riff and solo with just downpicking. Of course, soon I realised that it's impossible, so I started to practice alternate picking. I just started to play the old stuff I was playing with alternate picking and soon got a hang of it smile.gif

That was a major change for me, but I got through it, and Im sure you can get through this with practise aswell smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
orion6324
Feb 25 2008, 04:58 PM
problem is artificial harmonics are SOOOO hard to achieve wit the 3 finger thing...and also [lets say a gallop typ sound on the low E] is also really hard because i have to turn the pick angled up instead of angled down[which is ALOT easier]..now if i play a song that doesnt have any harmonics in it and doesnt have and fast picking im cool with the 3 fingers if it does i have to play the other way[with 2] and the problem is im fairly advanced now and there arent to many new songs im learning that dont have those in it.....so the change has to happen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:32 PM