Thinking Of Buying New Guitar, Ibanez RG-350DX
Raiz
Nov 4 2010, 05:26 AM
GMC:er
Hi! I've been looking around for a new guitar, and stumbled upon Ibanez RG-350DX (white), and also thinking of buying a new amp (Marshall MG30FX Combo) I play mainly rock and metal, but occasionally blues cool.gif

Attached Image

I've been watching reviews and demos on this guitar on youtube and I like what i hear.
The current guitar I have is Squier Fat Strat with a Roland Micro Cube, and I think it's about time to get some new gear!

The guitar has EDGE 3 tremolo system, does anyone here have experience with it?

Raiz smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 4 2010, 06:14 AM

That's a great looking guitar smile.gif The necks on those are quite fast. Just make sure to play it before you buy it.

Todd[

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 4 2010, 06:15 AM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 4 2010, 06:50 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Seems like you're gonna have two guitars with tremolos. If you only plan on playing in one or two tunings then that shouldn't be too much of an issue. But if you want to go back and forth between tunings its gonna be a real pain in the ass adjusting that floating trem.

If you really want a Floyd Rose type trem, I say either go with a Floyd Rose Original or one of the Ibanez ZR trems. Those are made from quality metals and will not wear out. The Edge III and many of the Licensed Floyd Roses are made from a type of steel that is softer than that used in the Original, and will wear out. I really recommend getting a solid bridge guitar as your main guitar, they're more rugged and are much easier to deal with.

As far as the amp, I really suggest looking at them used before you plan on plopping down hard earned cash at a retailer. You can probably get that amp for half or even a third of the original price. Solid state amps are tough (except for the Line6 ones), so you don't really have to worry about a used one crapping out on you, but it does happen from time to time. While you're looking on the used market, see if you can find a Peavey Bandit, or one of their TransTube series amps. For a solid state amp, they sound pretty good and are as tough as nails.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Raiz
Nov 4 2010, 10:05 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 4 2010, 06:14 AM) *
That's a great looking guitar smile.gif The necks on those are quite fast. Just make sure to play it before you buy it.

Todd[

Yeah, if only one of the two music shops here locally have it in stock..

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Nov 4 2010, 06:50 AM) *
Seems like you're gonna have two guitars with tremolos. If you only plan on playing in one or two tunings then that shouldn't be too much of an issue. But if you want to go back and forth between tunings its gonna be a real pain in the ass adjusting that floating trem.

If you really want a Floyd Rose type trem, I say either go with a Floyd Rose Original or one of the Ibanez ZR trems. Those are made from quality metals and will not wear out. The Edge III and many of the Licensed Floyd Roses are made from a type of steel that is softer than that used in the Original, and will wear out. I really recommend getting a solid bridge guitar as your main guitar, they're more rugged and are much easier to deal with.

As far as the amp, I really suggest looking at them used before you plan on plopping down hard earned cash at a retailer. You can probably get that amp for half or even a third of the original price. Solid state amps are tough (except for the Line6 ones), so you don't really have to worry about a used one crapping out on you, but it does happen from time to time. While you're looking on the used market, see if you can find a Peavey Bandit, or one of their TransTube series amps. For a solid state amp, they sound pretty good and are as tough as nails.

Thank you for your reply.
About the tremolo, the system i have on my Squier does not work properly which is why I want to buy a new guitar. I blocked off the tremolo system using a guide on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkj8p4Z3Rjg), because I had to take the whammy off since it was touching volume knobs etc (who knows what I did to cause this). I tried to fix it by tightening the springs, but then the intonation was just totally off so I had to set it back again, and I'd rather buy a new guitar than go to get it fixed.

And about the amp, thanks for the tips. I will see if I can find a used one as you recommend smile.gif I've heard the Peaveys are good. The reason i was thinking about the marshall is because it's fairly cheap even if it's brand new, but I'd get more value from buying a used one since they're from half or even a third of the original price.

-Raiz

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 4 2010, 10:27 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Cool dude, glad I could be of service smile.gif The great thing about buying used is you can always sell what ever you bought for the same price you bought it, considering its in the same condition. Guitar guitar usually depreciates to a certain point then just stays at a certain price.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Nov 7 2010, 07:47 PM
Instructor
i like those guitars, they are pretty versatilely and the neck is FAST, go for it!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Raiz
Nov 8 2010, 01:10 AM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Nov 7 2010, 07:47 PM) *
i like those guitars, they are pretty versatilely and the neck is FAST, go for it!

cheers, i like the idea of a fast neck and versability is all good smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 8 2010, 01:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
I would vote against the Ibanez
The Ibanez is a great guitar for the money but the edge 3 tremolo on it isn't really a good tremolo. The materials used to build it are to weak to withstand heavy tremolo abuse wihtout it breaking or the guitar getting out of tune. Also a tremolo is a pain to have if you don't really need one! It is difficult to set up and it prevents you from changing tunigs unless you do a whole new setup.

I would much rather look for an Ibanez guitar with a fixed bridge in the same price region or even look for a used one (you can get a far better guitar for the same price if you look into used gear).

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 8 2010, 03:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Yes! I have one just like it! smile.gif It's a great guitar! I don't like the Infinity pickups that come with it though. I'm gonna have to get some better ones. But I've had it for a while and it has served me well. wink.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Nov 8 2010, 09:06 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I agree with zakk here. I fell for this guitar back when I first bought an electric guitar. It just seemed perfect and I even asked the shop to get one since they never got it. Thats like the cheapest ibanez (kind of) then. By the looks of it, it really seems a great guitar but after I got it on my hands and played, it wasn't that great. Well, I wasn't a pro and knew nothing about guitars then but I felt it was kind of roughly built and something was missing. I ended up buying a JEM Jr which was much expensive and played better. I knew nothing about intonation or the tremolo back then. I just got it as it looked good. I was never a vai fan. biggrin.gif

Anyway, after like owning that guitar for 7 years, I finally found that intonation can be a big issue on these cheaper guitar (even though I paid like 600 $ sad.gif ) Right now I m feeling like the tremolo even on a better guitar like JEM Jr aren't that good like they come in prestige or more expensive guitars. Its korean made.

So, just alerting you my experience. Japanese made originals might be better and as Zakk said, you might want to look into used guitars if you want to go with quality and lesser price. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 8 2010, 12:53 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I agree, if you want a floating trem guitar get a good one or you might have intonation problems. As others already suggested see if you can find a second hand prestige model in good condition for that cash, or save a bit more.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Raiz
Nov 10 2010, 12:39 AM
Alright, thanks for the tips!
I'll see if I can find a better quality guitar used and in good condition or maybe even wait and save up more money. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Raiz
Nov 12 2010, 12:24 AM
I went to the local music shop yesterday with my mind set on just a new amp as I wasnt really happy with my Micro Cube after using it for 2 years.

I asked the guys there for an amp for home/practice usage, and they showed me the Roland CUBE 30x that they had on sale (30% off). I was hesitating a bit, since I already had the micro cube, but after trying it I found out it is exactly what I need! The price was good too so why would I turn this down? Only 1500 NOK, which is 250$ (or around 15 Whopper Cheese menus at Burger King in Norway)

AND

They also had the Ibanez RGR465M. on sale at around 33% off (4000 NOK ~ 670$) so I got really interested and tried the guitar with the amp for around 10 minutes and I absolutely fell in love with it!

The neck is very fast and confortable and the amplifier is so much better than my micro cube. I also tested my Squier after playing a few hours on my Ibanez and I absolutely hate my Squier now laugh.gif
I just hope my EDGE3 Trem system will stay in tune and I will try my best to treat it well smile.gif

EDIT: In case you were wondering, I bought the red version of the guitar

This post has been edited by Raiz: Nov 12 2010, 12:25 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 12 2010, 12:51 AM
Instructor
If you want a good tremolo system, try to find a used guitar. Original tremolo on a used guitar will probably sound better then edge 3 on a new one. The other solution is to get a fixed bridge guitar, if tremolo is not that important.

As far as the amp goes, I would spend some time checking out other amps as well. That little Marshall may not be the best purchase. Try Peavey or Laney, check the distortion on those, you might like it. With Marshall, you my end up getting additional pedals, and that wont help your sound. But, try out the Marshall as well - you might like the way it sounds and the ammount of distortion on that too.

let us know what you did! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th April 2024 - 10:08 PM