California !, Los Angeles (holiday)
Alexiaden93
Jun 25 2009, 03:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey there ! After one heck of a long flight, we're now in the US of A ! biggrin.gif This is especially directed to Marc_Maided, who I think lives here in California...

We're staying at a Holiday Inn hotel in Hollywood, and I'm planning to visit the Guitar Center in Sunset Boulevard. I've been comparing prices with Norway, and the amplifiers are almost twice as cheap... BUT HOW DO I GET THEM TO NORWAY ? biggrin.gif

Shipment is probably expensive, as well as the taxes we'll have to pay... So for amps, I'm not sure what to do...

I'm hesitating between the Line 6 Spider Valve 112 40W Guitar Combo Amp (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104616750-i1323853.gc) and the Marshall MG100 half-stack... Maybe I should just buy the amplifier in Norway, or in England (we're also going to London)...

I will just have to try the guitars... I really want a PRS Santanesque guitar, as they aren't very abundant in Norway, but I would be very grateful for any advice and suggestions...

As you can see, my mind is completely messed up, so please keep the comments flowing in ! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Marc_Maiden
Jun 25 2009, 03:21 PM
GMC:er
hey there! i am actually flying to LA from san francisco on friday (tomorrow)

if you were buying an amp, that would be hard to ship over, but the spider vavla is an awesome one, ive been trying to get my hands on it....its pretty much a tube modeling amp but i believe its a hybrid....sounds awesome, and if you get the floorboard with it, you will be set for a long time!

as for guitars, on a plane. you can take a guitar as a carry on, so find one you love dearly....im going to be making a list and make of pawnshops and guitar stores to visit while im down there because they have tons...when i finish ill post it here!

good luck!

oh and as for amps on a plane, as long as its under 50 lbs (i think) you can have them store it with all the other luggage...but could be dangerous for the amp

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jun 25 2009, 03:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Jun 25 2009, 04:21 PM) *
hey there! i am actually flying to LA from san francisco on friday (tomorrow)

if you were buying an amp, that would be hard to ship over, but the spider vavla is an awesome one, ive been trying to get my hands on it....its pretty much a tube modeling amp but i believe its a hybrid....sounds awesome, and if you get the floorboard with it, you will be set for a long time!

as for guitars, on a plane. you can take a guitar as a carry on, so find one you love dearly....im going to be making a list and make of pawnshops and guitar stores to visit while im down there because they have tons...when i finish ill post it here!

good luck!

oh and as for amps on a plane, as long as its under 50 lbs (i think) you can have them store it with all the other luggage...but could be dangerous for the amp

Thanks a lot ! I think I'll take a walk down to the Guitar Center in Sunset Boulevard and try some guitars... I think I'll get a nice PRS, but I'll try them first smile.gif Do you think they'll be annoyed with a boy trying guitars from opening to closing times ? biggrin.gif Thanks a lot for your help !

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
seagull
Jun 25 2009, 03:43 PM
I was there 2½ months ago as part of my road trip, and that store ROCKS! Just the whole entrance thingy with all the handprints and signatures of the greats of guitar was awesome... Very wide variety of axes, same I was on a tight budget on the trip. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 25 2009, 03:56 PM
they better not care! let me know when you go! maybe ill see you there wink.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 25 2009, 04:14 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Alex,
if you do want to buy anything electrical - amps, rack mounted effects etc that are plugged in to the mains check that the voltage is switchable. US is 110v whilst most of Europe etc are 220-230v. If you can only get a 110 then you may well need a transformer.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 25 2009, 05:04 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&...=1&resnum=4

that should be a good list for you to check out, most are around that guitar center

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jun 26 2009, 03:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey guys, and thanks for your help ! smile.gif I think I'll only buy a WebCam and Toneport when it comes to electronic accessories... The guitar probably won't need any transformer smile.gif I think I'm going tomorrow to check out Guitar Center in Sunset Boulevard, but I might go back there some other day... We're staying here in LA for a few more days, I believe.

Thanks, again smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:10 PM