Prs Tremolo's, A Pain To Tune?
northeee
Oct 8 2007, 08:46 AM
GMC:er
hey guys
im in the middle of selling my ibanez rg1570 to fund a fixed bridge guitar, i really hate these floating bridges, my question is, do they standard PRS tremolos work in the same way? in a video i saw a guy retune from E to drop D and carry on playing.. that would throw a floating bridge out wouldnt it?
thanks in advance
smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 8 2007, 04:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (northeee @ Oct 8 2007, 09:46 AM) *
hey guys
im in the middle of selling my ibanez rg1570 to fund a fixed bridge guitar, i really hate these floating bridges, my question is, do they standard PRS tremolos work in the same way? in a video i saw a guy retune from E to drop D and carry on playing.. that would throw a floating bridge out wouldnt it?
thanks in advance
smile.gif

tuning like you suggested on a Floyd Rose will set it off, it's true what you said.

But I'm not too familiar with PRS tremolos. Can you give us a picture or a link to the guitar you're refering to?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
northeee
Oct 8 2007, 05:14 PM
sure smile.gif
http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_se_paul_allen...artner_id=59917

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 8 2007, 05:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (northeee @ Oct 8 2007, 06:14 PM) *

You should probably ask PRS but to me it looks like a Fender type tremolo. Which means you can tune as you like whenever you like.

A very nice looking guitar!

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Oct 8 2007, 07:04 PM
QUOTE (northeee @ Oct 8 2007, 09:46 AM) *
hey guys
thanks in advance
smile.gif

Most PRS guitars tremelos work the same way as fenders. They only really go one way so their not floating. As far as i know the expensive mark tremonti signature ( Not the SE ) has a tremelo that floats mildly You should have no problem retuning your guitar down to drop D etc.

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Oct 8 2007, 10:33 PM
QUOTE (northeee @ Oct 8 2007, 08:46 AM) *
hey guys
thanks in advance
smile.gif

Most PRS models have a Fender-like approach to tremolo. I have a PRS CE-24 and its tremolo seems to be of that style. Dropped tunings should be fine. To follow up from the previous reply, the Mark Tremonti signature model (not SE) has some extra routing under the bridge to allow greater pull-up of the tremolo.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 9 2007, 12:22 AM
Learning Roadie
I think the SE's are made in korea, is that right?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Oct 9 2007, 01:42 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 9 2007, 12:22 AM) *
I think the SE's are made in korea, is that right?

Yeah, the SEs are made by the World Musical Instrument Co. in Korea, under licence from PRS.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
northeee
Oct 9 2007, 04:38 AM
thanks alot guys!

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 9 2007, 05:25 AM
Learning Roadie
So how well do they compare to the real thing? I mean, a real PRS costs ~2000+, so there must be quite a difference I'd think.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Layzer
Oct 9 2007, 05:37 AM
ive played a few SE's and i can say that they are easy to play buy feel cheaply made

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Oct 9 2007, 04:00 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 9 2007, 06:25 AM) *
So how well do they compare to the real thing? I mean, a real PRS costs ~2000+, so there must be quite a difference I'd think.

The SE's are crap. They made ok but they dont look nor feel like the real thing. They have the crappiest pickups ever. When you play clean you get the idea that they sound 'ok' and then when you kick in overdrive and full on high gain distortion, you get an extremely muffled sound. It really sounds bad. You could probably get some nice PRS pickups put in afterwards but then why not just use a les paul which is cheapter than a SE and get nice pickups as well ?

I dont think getting an SE is a good option. The Paul Allender SE looks very cool tho.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Oct 9 2007, 05:41 PM
Instructor
Considering 80% of guitarplayers use Floyd/Edge bridges, it's not the bridge that sucks but users who can't use it. No offence but before selling that awesome guitar you should take some time and learn how to tune floyd/edge bridge.

I hate it when people say Floyd bridges suck - i take it as a personal insult. They don't suck!!! They work awesome!! I don't remember whne was the last time i tuned my guitar and i use whammy bar each day and it stays in perfect tune.

Nah, never mind. Do whatever you want....

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Oct 9 2007, 05:46 PM
80 % might be a bit of an exaggeration, but yeah, floyds doesn't suck, they're just a pain in the ass to tune, you just have to deal with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Oct 9 2007, 05:51 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Oct 9 2007, 06:41 PM) *
Considering 80% of guitarplayers use Floyd/Edge bridges, it's not the bridge that sucks but users who can't use it. No offence but before selling that awesome guitar you should take some time and learn how to tune floyd/edge bridge.

I hate it when people say Floyd bridges suck - i take it as a personal insult. They don't suck!!! They work awesome!! I don't remember whne was the last time i tuned my guitar and i use whammy bar each day and it stays in perfect tune.

Nah, never mind. Do whatever you want....

Dont be offended pavel. I know the feeling. I love fender strats and i get the same feeling when people say they suck. Even tho im not a great floyed / edge fan. I dont think their crap either, i think im just too newbie to use them smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:13 PM