What Have U Sacrificed By Playing Guitar?, The list goes on and on....
JD_
Jul 22 2011, 06:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Well I'll start it off with this....

I have a 3 month old son, and I try and do my part....(most of his life is consumed by wanting Mum) so I will take any opportunity I can to shoot off to the other end of the house and start playng some guitar.... Headphones on, Guitar in hand, baby crying, Dad doesn't know....Mum's pulling her hair out....But while all this is going on, I am making fantastic progress!....Hmm If I am not Divorced in a few years and my Son actually knows who I am in years to come, "Not that strange guy in the other room", it will all be worth it....haha... rolleyes.gif

What about you guys? What have you put guitar in front of?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JaxN4: Jul 22 2011, 06:45 PM

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ben Higgins
Jul 22 2011, 07:24 PM
Instructor
When I was growing up I didn't have a social life, I had a guitar !! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 22 2011, 07:34 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 22 2011, 07:24 PM) *
When I was growing up I didn't have a social life, I had a guitar !! cool.gif

+10

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 22 2011, 08:01 PM
Instructor
Yes, similar thing goes for me as for Ben, although guitar helped me go through a troublesome period in my younger days, and I'm so glad I stayed home and practiced wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2011, 09:30 PM
I have to agree on the Social Life sacrifice. Spending hours upon hours practicing does come at a cost on some level. You cant' be out and about when you are getting your practice time in! It's important to try to have a balance of course, but I do find myself leaning towards more practice/playing/recording/writing and less towards chasing lasses about. Although some lass chasing is good for the soul and for one's writing!

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 22 2011, 10:59 PM
Instructor
When i was 14 and I picked up the guitar, I was a little fat kid who was mocked daily by the guys in the neighborhood for daring to dream about playing the guitar. Well, slowly but surely, I started spending more and more time with my guitar and less time with them...conclusion: I haven't sacrificed ANYTHING smile.gif it was a great choice!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 22 2011, 11:31 PM
Instructor
i started when i was 10-11 years old, i didn't have a social life, saying that might sound easy but it isn't when you are young and all your friends are out. Thanks to my dad i had that white strat lying around the house always, i literally wasn't interested in anything besides that guitar, for about 3 or 4 years.

So i gave away a normal, social teenager live, but i won much more than that, i won a reason to live and dream smile.gif.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 22 2011, 11:48 PM
Learning Roadie
I have basically sacrificed spending time with family.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 23 2011, 12:40 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well, I had a few girlfriends in high school who asked me to play less guitar every day.

My basic response was

HAHAHAHAHA

go away...

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jul 23 2011, 01:15 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
+1000 on all the great comments.

How many people spend more than 2 hours per day watching TV? For about that much time, and a little push of energy, you can build yourself a set of hopes and dreams, and give something to yourself that no-one can ever take away from you. Musicians have a whole lot going on for themselves in this way... drive, committment, ambition, persistence. All excellent qualities that will carry over into other parts of our lives (if we let it). That being said, and as you know for sure, having a family, a marriage, and all the responsibility that goes with it does require a balance. For me I had to find a time in the day for practice that can work for everyone, my wife and family. Hey, I'm over 40, and I've spent a lot of hours playing this guitar and I feel that I haven't missed a thing. Do talk it over with your wife and ask her to help you find that balance. (my 2c).

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 23 2011, 01:22 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Whatever I have sacrificed is worth loosing to be honest. My time behind the strings of my instrument have been some of the most essential, important, and empowering moments of my life.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2011, 02:40 AM
Well said to everyone smile.gif I have to say.I have NEVER regretted a single moment of playing/practice. It's one of the few activities in life that always seems worth it. On my death bed, I can't imagine saying "I wish I would have spent more time grocery shopping/paying bills/driving/etc." I might think something like "I'm sure glad I spent so much time playing guitar, I love guitar".

Here is what my grave stone might be. With my neglected girlfriend/wife laying around waiting for me to be done "Practicing" smile.gif
Attached Image

Todd

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 23 2011, 03:36 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 22 2011, 08:22 PM) *
Whatever I have sacrificed is worth loosing to be honest. My time behind the strings of my instrument have been some of the most essential, important, and empowering moments of my life.

I agree fully with this. People come and go, but music is always around. I've cherished my guitar. I love music and playing the guitar helps me not only hear but create music. No matter how good or bad my day has been it's always sitting there waiting for me to pick it up and play.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 23 2011, 04:21 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 22 2011, 10:59 PM) *
When i was 14 and I picked up the guitar, I was a little fat kid who was mocked daily by the guys in the neighborhood for daring to dream about playing the guitar. Well, slowly but surely, I started spending more and more time with my guitar and less time with them...conclusion: I haven't sacrificed ANYTHING smile.gif it was a great choice!

Interesting, Cosmin, i have hear the same story but the one who was saying it was Chris Broderick

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 23 2011, 04:46 AM
Long finger nails...

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 23 2011, 06:56 AM
Learning Roadie
biggrin.gif I totally agree mate...Right On!...If u want something bad enough, you will make it happen. Even when ur life gets alot busier, ie kids or more hours at work...u can still find time at the end of the day...

QUOTE (JamesT @ Jul 23 2011, 12:15 AM) *
+1000 on all the great comments.

How many people spend more than 2 hours per day watching TV? For about that much time, and a little push of energy, you can build yourself a set of hopes and dreams, and give something to yourself that no-one can ever take away from you. Musicians have a whole lot going on for themselves in this way... drive, committment, ambition, persistence. All excellent qualities that will carry over into other parts of our lives (if we let it). That being said, and as you know for sure, having a family, a marriage, and all the responsibility that goes with it does require a balance. For me I had to find a time in the day for practice that can work for everyone, my wife and family. Hey, I'm over 40, and I've spent a lot of hours playing this guitar and I feel that I haven't missed a thing. Do talk it over with your wife and ask her to help you find that balance. (my 2c).

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2011, 07:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 23 2011, 03:21 AM) *
Interesting, Cosmin, i have hear the same story but the one who was saying it was Chris Broderick

Hahaha smile.gif) well, I'm not such a big fan of Chris, but I'm glad we share the same thoughts smile.gif and also, see the way the man looks right now biggrin.gif no more fat kid anymore.

+Quote Post
Gary
Jul 23 2011, 07:34 AM
I have a family and I do put my kids first.. however once they are in bed I practice away and the wife is totally cool with it. She is aware that with all the couples we hang out with the guy is totally into watching sports on TV, to the point where they know all the stats for all the major players in football, baseball and basketball. I personally don't understand dedicating hours and hours every week to watching sports and memorizing what to me is a bunch of useless information. Instead I have dedicated my free time to playing guitar. To each his own but I feel all I am really sacrificing is sitting in front the tube watching a game or lame tv show... no biggie.

Gary

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 23 2011, 09:23 AM
Learning Roadie
wink.gif
QUOTE (Gary @ Jul 23 2011, 06:34 AM) *
I have a family and I do put my kids first.. however once they are in bed I practice away and the wife is totally cool with it. She is aware that with all the couples we hang out with the guy is totally into watching sports on TV, to the point where they know all the stats for all the major players in football, baseball and basketball. I personally don't understand dedicating hours and hours every week to watching sports and memorizing what to me is a bunch of useless information. Instead I have dedicated my free time to playing guitar. To each his own but I feel all I am really sacrificing is sitting in front the tube watching a game or lame tv show... no biggie.

Gary

I am the same mate...got a new son, once the day is done and he is in bed, i am off for as long as I can....all about priorities

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 23 2011, 06:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I gave up time to practice drums, which is something I always wanted to do. But hey, life is nothing but a series of compromises, and finding the right balance is key. Other than drums, theres many other things I could be doing, but playing guitar is what I WANT to do, so to me I don't feel like I'm sacrificing much.

Theres been a few times where I got so frustrated with the guitar that I felt like throwing in the towel and giving up. But then I thought about what I would be doing for the rest of my life without guitar, and not much came up. So I continue to play, any hardship I experience now is only a small obstacle in the great scheme of things.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:44 AM