Rock Bands Don't Reinvent Themselves, ...Or do they?!
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 29 2010, 09:10 AM
GMC Founder
As Lian points out in his new lesson - Avenged Sevenfold has done a good job reinventing themselves and adding new elements to their music.

Which rock band do you think has re-invented themselves through out their career the most? Who has done it the least?

I know my answer... But I'd like to hear your opinion first!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
MickeM
Oct 29 2010, 10:25 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
From the point of view in reinventing themselves the least, while that's a good thing I think:

In my opinion, and it's not taken from the top of my head in the flash of the moment but I spent some time thinking of this before. Though many of my favorite bands from the NWOBHTM era still are kicking some serious behind there’s only one that stayed true to their original sound. Take Judas Priest for example, with the Painkiller album they lost their way imho compared to their fantastic albums from the 70-80’s. It’s like two or three different bands over the years.

Same thing with Iron Maiden, I think they are one of the best bands on this planet but they will never be the same as during the Di’Anno time with their first two records.
I also give them lots of credit for Number of the beast and Piece of Mind up to Somewhere in time which I guess is underrated. It has an epic feeling to it. Over the ears though, with the change of drummers and vocalists we’re still facing three different bands.

The one band that stayed true their original sound still managing to keep up with a develop a more modern heavy metal sound – they did change band members and did have a weak 90’s – are Saxon wink.gif

Still touring, playing for small audiences and deserving a lot more attention for their work than they get credited for imo.

EDIT: Soundwise competing with AC/DC but you can't compete with Bon Scott. Biff Byford (Saxon) always was there

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 29 2010, 12:00 PM
Instructor
Excellent topic again Kris ! Hmmmmmmmm, thinking cap on !

I think Led Zeppelin really allowed the rule book to be thrown away and didn't feel they had to keep doing the same thing again and again.. so for reinvention, maybe Led Zep (or maybe it's not a case of reinvention, but continual progression and evolution ??)

Definite reinventors: Jeff Beck , Bowie... maybe they don't count as bands unsure.gif

For bands who haven't reinvented themselves.. Micke has a great point with Saxon. Great band and very meat n potatoes ! Obviously Maiden too. Before the diehards get angry (I'm a massive Maiden fan too) they may have had different sounding albums production wise, but they haven't taken many bold steps or risks in my opinion. (Compared to Led Zep, Opeth, Metallica, Megadeth)

AC/DC - it goes without saying.

It's quite a difficult one really.. most of the rock/metal bands haven't really reinvented themselves. They've had periods of experimentation but then have returned to their 'roots'.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 29 2010, 12:10 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I agree with Ben, the topic is hard. Most of the bands I know more less are always near their "style", or have few albums that are made when they guys are young and still searching for their sound, and after those few albums comes the time when all their albums are "in their style".

A band that definitely reinvented itself is ULVER. They had few "eras" in their playing, and one has almost nothing in common with another. Not exactly my music taste, but I know them relatively well because of a friend of mine, who is a lifetime fan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr T
Oct 29 2010, 12:36 PM
GMC:er
Anathema really changed at some point. Going from doom metal to a prog/atmospheric rock group.

I guess there's also a difference in how bands change. Some changes are really obvious, while other changes come gradually.

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Oct 29 2010, 01:09 PM
That was ACDC ( biggrin.gif )

If you listen to Mahavishnu Orchestra . . . Every single record is reinvention they are ALIENS!
Really . . .

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 29 2010, 02:30 PM
GMC Founder
Interesting replies!

As far as rock/metal goes I just can't help but feel that reinvention is huuuge when looking at Metallica - how they went from thrash metal like "hit the lights" to ballads like "nothing else matters" is unbelievable.

As fas as guitarists goes I think maybe Vai qualifies - he somehow manages to create albums in completely different style time after time. Another one is Allan Holdsworth, he is a bit special though: If you record an album that sounds like it comes from Mars - then people won't notice that the second one actually came from Jupiter - what I am trying to say is that is stuff is so 'out' from scratch...!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2010, 03:21 PM
Instructor
yeah, Metallica is the most popular band that could fit in this category. I'd lie to post some examples here that come to mind.

Thrice:

Before:

After:

Radiohead:

Before:

After:

Pantera:

Before:

After:

There are also some bands that tried changing their style without success. In some cases like Skid Row & Poison they broke up. In other cases they finally started to record albums with their original sound again (Motley Crue, Kiss, Megadeth).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 29 2010, 04:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I have to agree with Ben's post, and also with Gabe about Radiohead!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 29 2010, 09:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Rush
They seemed to keep their style and sound pretty up to date.
edit: well, actually, I guess by reinvent means disappear from the scene and reappear as something new? if so, then not rush, but they seemed to reinvent their sound on a regular basis, which is what I mean to say.

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Oct 29 2010, 09:23 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2010, 10:52 PM
Great thread smile.gif I think band have to reinvent themselves to some degree in order to stay relevant. Not to say that slayer should start adding techno or Rap to their music, just the idea that musicians are people too and they grow and change as time passes.

For me, RUSH is a good example, They have a very interesting arc. Going from something as obscure and deep as Caress of Steel to an album like Signals which was still killer but much more "radio ready" and all the while, never letting go of what made them RUSH.

So I'd agree, bands can reinvent themselves. Really, it's hard to keep from it. We are always changing as people and as musicians and our music is going to reflect that.

What I think is sad is when some bands try to force a change just to keep up with "trends". It's always obvious that a given band is just reaching when they switch to what they claim to despise.

Todd

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 30 2010, 04:25 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Theres a few that are worth mentioning, but the honor has to go to Aerosmith. Its quite a feat to have teenage girls go gaga over music produced by geriatric musicians. To be relevant with the teenage crowd for over four decades is an amazing accomplishment.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 31 2010, 08:51 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 29 2010, 03:21 PM) *
There are also some bands that tried changing their style without success. In some cases like Skid Row & Poison they broke up. In other cases they finally started to record albums with their original sound again (Motley Crue, Kiss, Megadeth).

Yes you are right abut this - in some cases (I am particularly thinking about Megadeth - as they are a personal favorite) the band successfully strayed from their style for a while. "Countdown to Extinction" and "Euthanasia" arw example sof this - I have no idea what happened afterwards though- to me it's like the air went out of Dave (with a few exceptions, particularly with "The system has failed").

By the way awesome video examples Gabe - they were extremely colorful.

Today's lesson features playing in the style of a guitarist with an extreme ability of reinvention - Greg Howe!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 31 2010, 01:15 PM
Instructor
Pantera is one of them. I just cannot believe their first album in the style of KISS! XD

I'm not that sure about Metallica. I think they have not changed through the years but they explored all the sides of their own style. I mean, I know they have songs totally different from each others, but they always tried to put a cool ballad metal song in almost all their works, and also to keep the thrash vibe alive. (we know that they couldn't do it right all the times)
so, if by reinventing we are saying "changing style" Metallica is less than Pantera or Ulver (Marek's mention) but if by reinventing we are saying "evolution of their own style" Metallica did it indeed! per example with the black album.

got any sense what I said? XD

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2010, 04:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm If we can put them in the "rock" basket I would say "The Beatles" smile.gif

From the very start they were re-inventing standards. You can clearly hear them during time they knew only "few" chords to really advanced stuff down their carrier. I really like the fact they were able to play all the different styles and still keep their "sound" and vibe (and produce hit songs). On their albums style variations between each song is really big. One may be country, second pure pop, next one rock n roll etc...

From other bands I would say Iron Maiden kept the "formula" going as much as they could. Its just a great recipe you can't ever get bored with.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Nov 2 2010, 09:10 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
The band that changed/reinvented the most in my opinion is Anathema.
Just listen to their earlier records and their new, you'll be surprised smile.gif
And they didn't suddenly change either, they've managed to develop over time.
And all of their albums are great as well, awesome band.

The band that changed the least will have to be Ac/Dc, Saxon, Volbeat, Candlemass etc.
Lots of bands really smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 2 2010, 12:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
Old In Flames:

New In Flames:

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 2 2010, 01:56 PM
QUOTE (Mr T @ Oct 29 2010, 12:36 PM) *
Anathema really changed at some point. Going from doom metal to a prog/atmospheric rock group.

I guess there's also a difference in how bands change. Some changes are really obvious, while other changes come gradually.

Yeah definitely. I've recently heard their newest album which when compared to the earlier doom work it's like hearing a completely different band. I actually like the earlier doom stuff though

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 7 2010, 07:22 PM
Instructor
well yeah, Pantera has to be definitely a band that evolved completely from what they started as

How about this, maybe you know the singer Juanes, well he used to have this band called Ekhymosis:

And this is Juanes 2010

smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Nov 7 2010, 07:43 PM
Instructor
come on daniel!!!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:14 PM