2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Holding pick
Reaver
Jan 11 2008, 11:19 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (dreadlocks @ Jan 11 2008, 10:56 PM) *
blink.gif :S ohmy.gif use the side of the index finger?
im useing the flat
is that a bad habit 2 ?

I'm going to post a video explaining exactly what I'm talking about. I think you're holding the pick the same way I am, which is one of the many correct and acceptable ways, but my question is more about wrist involvement in picking. I won't say too much more, once this video get's accepted to youtube I'll post it and you can see exactly what I'm talking about. smile.gif

Ok EDIT: First off, there's probably a slightly better forum for this but I suppose I could say "practicing problems" Here's a link to a video I made a little bit ago showing exactly what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBO7wazi5HI

Thanks a bunch for the help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Reaver: Jan 11 2008, 11:38 PM

--------------------
Having problems with video's loading? Check your software. I have a program called zonealarm that was making video's either not load at all or load slowly. It took me a little while to figure this out, so if you've got any kind of software that monitors your incoming data from the internet, allow GMC to send data or disable the program :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dreadlocks
Jan 12 2008, 08:34 AM
I WATCHED YOUR VIDIO biggrin.gif
your holding the pick same as i do
and about question #1 you dont need to use all arm
there is a better explantion in alternate picking lesson (101)
gl

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Reaver
Jan 12 2008, 08:54 AM
Nice, I didn't see that video. It helped me with the wrist/hand question but I'm still wondering if people loosen their grip on the pick when picking faster, or just picking at all really.

--------------------
Having problems with video's loading? Check your software. I have a program called zonealarm that was making video's either not load at all or load slowly. It took me a little while to figure this out, so if you've got any kind of software that monitors your incoming data from the internet, allow GMC to send data or disable the program :)

+Quote Post
andrei.sz
Jan 12 2008, 08:59 AM
hei guys !
i found a Paul Gilbert video about pick holding , a few days ago. it really helped me. here is the link :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SvMcT_NiaWo

+Quote Post
dreadlocks
Jan 12 2008, 09:24 AM
ill start holding my pick like he do
seems alot is playing this way

+Quote Post
Constie
Jan 12 2008, 02:18 PM
THIS is a very good video, because it shows how to NOT hold the pick and how to hold it best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqPZjlpau4c

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause

+Quote Post
dreadlocks
Jan 12 2008, 03:08 PM
ty m8 i realy get it now
smile.gif

strange when i looked for pick holding vidio never found one :S

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 12 2008, 03:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (andrei.sz @ Jan 12 2008, 08:59 AM) *
hei guys !
i found a Paul Gilbert video about pick holding , a few days ago. it really helped me. here is the link :

Shwu shwu shwu sound laugh.gif laugh.gif

Paul is the man biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
dreadlocks
Jan 12 2008, 07:54 PM
one more question
im holding my pick same as in the vidio and im doing graet
but when im useing my JazzIII its realy hard to skip strings
cuz its a s mall pick
is it possibale to do it with pick like jazzIII or should i cahnge apick ?

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Jan 17 2008, 04:55 AM
How does having a closed fist decrease you accuracy? I've never had a problem with that.

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
seagull
Jan 19 2008, 06:19 PM
QUOTE (Soul_Decision @ Jan 17 2008, 04:55 AM) *
How does having a closed fist decrease you accuracy? I've never had a problem with that.

I would think that it is because if you close your fist, your hand wont be relaxed, and you'll also use some unnecessary strength, which can impede your accuracy due to muscle tension.

+Quote Post
Lorry
Jan 20 2008, 12:27 PM
QUOTE (andrei.sz @ Jan 12 2008, 04:59 PM) *
hei guys !

Thats a really good example, I changed to that style yesterday and have already noticed improvements. It takes some getting used to but after a couple of runs up and down a scale it was second nature smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 20 2008, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dreadlocks @ Jan 12 2008, 07:54 PM) *
but when im useing my JazzIII its realy hard to skip strings
cuz its a s mall pick

Man, sorry to tell this but, it has nothing to do with the pick size wink.gif I am using Jazz III and don't have any problems with anything - it's a great pick really! MAB is the guy who is using Jazz III his whole life and he got some insane string skipping chops smile.gif

Usually it's not gear that keeps us away from some skills - it's ourselves who don't work on it enough smile.gif
I would suggest you staying with Jazz as it is really great pick for both riffing and soloing smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 20 2008, 01:17 PM
Instructor
But MAB doesn't play Jazz,why Jazz picks anyhow?? blink.gif
Joking biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 20 2008, 06:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 20 2008, 01:17 PM) *
But MAB doesn't play Jazz,why Jazz picks anyhow?? blink.gif
Joking biggrin.gif

That's a pretty good question actually blink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
at lights end
Jan 21 2008, 05:43 PM
eddie van halen holds the pick between his middle finger and thumb...never stopped him though. biggrin.gif

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
311junkie
Jan 21 2008, 11:51 PM
After watching the Paul Gilbert video, I realize that I've been picking flat and not at an angle like he recommends. The method he showed also helped me get a better sound out of my pinch harmonics!

Thanks for the post!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:06 PM