Practicing Sweep Picking
manuh
Aug 14 2011, 09:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey, im going to start practice sweep picking and im not sure if im practicing right.
i've uploaded a short video from the sweep picking exercise:

is it correctly?

thanks for your answer smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by manuh: Aug 14 2011, 09:17 PM

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Sickz666
Aug 14 2011, 10:05 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (manuh @ Aug 14 2011, 10:16 PM) *
Hey, im going to start practice sweep picking and im not sure if im practicing right.
i've uploaded a short video from the sweep picking exercise:

is it correctly?

thanks for your answer smile.gif

You´ll need to mute it, cause it´s abit sloppy.

What i always did was practice at tempo where i can play the thing perfectly, so slow down abit to the tempo where you can do it cleanly. Then work from there.

Cheers. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 14 2011, 11:13 PM
GMC:er
As Sickz said the muting is something that needs worked on. But I'm going to have to ask this question. How or what is the best way to mute the strings?

I am also in the same boat. I've noticed that whenever I do a hammer on pull off on the high e, it seems to feel more fluid. I can do smaller ones like 3 strings and it sounds good but once I hit 4-5 I'm kinda noisy.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2011, 12:50 AM
Instructor
yeah, it's ok. You have to mute a bit the strings with the palm of your right hand. Another thing that you could try is to move a bit less your right hand when you are playing the upstrokes (I mean when you are descending).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 15 2011, 10:05 PM
Instructor
This is correct, but you need to slow waaaay down in order to get it right. This is just sloppy, if you repeat this, you will learn to play these sweeps - sloppy. Simply slow it down a lot, and practice until it's perfect. Then you move a notch again, and seek - perfect, and so on..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
manuh
Aug 16 2011, 07:34 AM
Learning Roadie
hey, thanks for your good answers smile.gif

i tried to mute the string afters playing, but its really really hard.
maybe i can record a new try after work. i attempt to play i slower and with mutes .. cause i must be sure if i am practicing right wink.gif

i start practicing sweeping with the lesson from david wallimann (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/sweeping-basics/)
i think its a really good beginner lesson.. or is there any other lesson which is still easier for me? smile.gif

thanks a lot for your help!

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2011, 09:03 AM
Instructor
The right hand movement has to be fluid and not interrupted - my suggestion would be: mute the strings with your left hand (so that no note may be heard) and sweep the strings with your right hand following the pattern you are using (at a slow speed) until the sweeping movement becomes very fluid.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:18 AM