New Amp To Go With Boss Me70
eaglesnh4
Feb 16 2011, 02:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys, another purchase im making with my 18th birthday money, im getting a boss me70 and would like to know what amp i should get to make it sound as good as possible, im not sure if i want a stack as getting them to gigs is a real pain so i think im going to stick with a combo unless you can convince me otherwise, i have around 650 for the amp.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Mexican Fender Stractocaster
Vox VT100
Line 6 Flextone iii
Vox VFS5 Footswitch
Boss Tu-3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Feb 16 2011, 02:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
If I remember correctly the ME-70 can't connect using a four cable method. So keep in mind you can not use the amp tones with the ME effects. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 16 2011, 03:33 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
If you plan on using the effects/modelling on the ME70 then I suggest you get an amp with a nice clean channel. Something with a 12'' speaker (or two).

I forgot to add: Why not get a tube amp plus some sepparate stomps?

It will not be much more expensive than your current budget and will sound 10X better.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
eaglesnh4
Feb 16 2011, 03:41 PM
Learning Roadie
i want the me70 as i will enjoy playing around with it and that way i can work out what pedals i need, i can pick up the me70 on ebay for around 100 so i dont mind, and i do want a tube amp, what amp would you recommend

--------------------
Vox VT100
Line 6 Flextone iii
Vox VFS5 Footswitch
Boss Tu-3

+Quote Post
eaglesnh4
Feb 17 2011, 01:23 AM
Learning Roadie
do you think i should go for a second hand fender twin amp on ebay for around 700 pounds? this is a tube amp right?

--------------------
Vox VT100
Line 6 Flextone iii
Vox VFS5 Footswitch
Boss Tu-3

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 17 2011, 11:16 AM
I don't think an ME-70 will do justice to a valve amp, specially since you plan on using it at high volumes. Valve amps sound great when they are loud, so you can get valve distortion out of them. Sepparate stomps work better in that context, since you can add some extra overdrive before the amp, and some modulation in the effects loop.

An ME-70 works better through a clean channel (be it solid state or valves), since it's supposed to provide everything together: distortion (modelling + stomps) and modulation effects.

I wouldn't know which amp would suit you better, since it depends on your music style, and above all, your ears. My advice: go to a music store and try a few amps within your budget, see if you like their cleans & distortions, see if they fit within your budget. You could even check if you are happy with their sound along with an ME70, and then check sepparate stomps.

Edit:

Some more food for thought: since you wish to learn about effects with the ME-70, and are not sure about the valves or the amp, why not try a decent solid state amp with built in effects? There are many from Roland & Vox, and other brands.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
eaglesnh4
Feb 17 2011, 01:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Fran @ Feb 17 2011, 10:16 AM) *
I don't think an ME-70 will do justice to a valve amp, specially since you plan on using it at high volumes. Valve amps sound great when they are loud, so you can get valve distortion out of them. Sepparate stomps work better in that context, since you can add some extra overdrive before the amp, and some modulation in the effects loop.

An ME-70 works better through a clean channel (be it solid state or valves), since it's supposed to provide everything together: distortion (modelling + stomps) and modulation effects.

I wouldn't know which amp would suit you better, since it depends on your music style, and above all, your ears. My advice: go to a music store and try a few amps within your budget, see if you like their cleans & distortions, see if they fit within your budget. You could even check if you are happy with their sound along with an ME70, and then check sepparate stomps.

Edit:

Some more food for thought: since you wish to learn about effects with the ME-70, and are not sure about the valves or the amp, why not try a decent solid state amp with built in effects? There are many from Roland & Vox, and other brands.

ive already got a vox vt100 and a line 6 flextone with built in effects, there not the best like, so should i just buy a tube amp? i have no idea which one to get/

--------------------
Vox VT100
Line 6 Flextone iii
Vox VFS5 Footswitch
Boss Tu-3

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 18 2011, 10:58 AM
If you already have built in effects you can use those to figure out which stomps you need.

Then again it's all a matter of personal preference. Tone is in the fingers after all cool.gif

Also: That Vox should take the ME70 pretty well.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 28 2011, 02:00 AM
Instructor
I would advise that you use ME70 for effects only, and leave the amp to create overdrive, this will get you the best tone.

Fender Twin is a monster amp with a great sound, but I wouldn't recommend it since it is heavy as hell, and buying it used creates potential problems regarding maintenance. It has massive headroom, and it may be too clean for you, since you won't get a chance to crank it.

I recommend some cheaper tube combo with one 12" speaker, depending what you want to play. If you go vintage, I recommend Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40W), or Peavey Classic 30 (30W). They are both very good and easy to carry. Both of these accept stomps well, and you can use both amp's overdrive, or use ME70 distortion.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:59 PM