15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
How Have You Improved In The Last Week?
JVM
Jul 7 2007, 09:15 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 7 2007, 02:02 AM) *
I belive the key to success is to know your going to be a great player, leave no doubt in your mind! biggrin.gif

I just thought I would take the opportunity to tell you that I am listening to a song (stress by justice) that has a beat going perfectly in synchronization with your buckethead image. It's hilarious and awesome at the same time, cause it looks like he's making these sounds. I watched it for like a minute and it's PERFECTLY in time with it.

That is all.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Jul 7 2007, 09:16 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 7 2007, 09:23 AM
GMC:er
I have checked out Pavels lessons on sweep but no matter how many times i read about it i feel i need someone right infront of me to get it down.I have enough speed to do some of the sweeps but making it sound clean and not sloppy and timing the pick with fret hand is a big one.Also mutting the strings you do this all especially doing upstrokes is very hard.I do believe though that you can do anything you want on guitar it's just how many times will you play it wrong till you get it right.It's all about how bad you want it and the work you put into it.Im married with 2 kids and i have lost alot of playing time along with drive like i used to have.I used to play atleast 6 hours a day and thats how i got where i am today.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 7 2007, 10:30 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 7 2007, 09:15 AM) *
I just thought I would take the opportunity to tell you that I am listening to a song (stress by justice) that has a beat going perfectly in synchronization with your buckethead image. It's hilarious and awesome at the same time, cause it looks like he's making these sounds. I watched it for like a minute and it's PERFECTLY in time with it.

That is all.

LOL, im going to have to download hat, who is it bye? laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jul 7 2007, 12:21 PM
It's been a mixed week, some good some bad. I did think I saw an improvement in my AP until the last couple of practice sessions, where I sucked badly. mad.gif sad.gif I still feel there's some combination of guitar height, guitar angle, pick holding and pick angle that would help me be more consistent - but I haven't nailed it yet. I notice that I have more difficulties when I'm standing up and wearing the guitar on a strap than when I'm sitting with the guitar on my left leg in the "classical style". Any comments, advice or encouragement would be welcome

Now to the plus points! Legato is definitely better, as are the sweeps. I've also been brushing up on my (very rusty) theory and working through the lessons on the theory board. I'm pleased that I'm understanding these lessons and a lot of forgotten knowledge is coming back. smile.gif Really well-written lessons Andrew!

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 7 2007, 01:15 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Jul 7 2007, 04:03 AM) *
Well i got down Marcus's neoclasical beginer and intermidiate solo's but still blown away by the advanced.I feel like i will always be held back until i learn sweep correctly.

I have trouble with sweeps too - of all the techniques out there, they are the hardest for me - I thinkits because you need a huge amnount of practoce to make a small amount of progress, and you need hours a day to improve (I don't have that much time because I work). I'll keep trying though, and who knows, in a couple of years I might be sweeping smile.gif

QUOTE (Resurrection @ Jul 7 2007, 07:21 AM) *
smile.gif Really well-written lessons Andrew!

Good to know - the more theory students we have the better!

This is a great topic - I'm going to make it a sticky so we don't forget about it!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 7 2007, 02:12 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
GuitarDude
Jul 7 2007, 01:36 PM
I'm starting to get sweep! (currently practicing Under the influence by Rusty Cooley) and me and my band are recording our new songs in our studio laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Jul 7 2007, 01:58 PM
well, recently a friend asked me to help him buy guitar strings / set up his guitar. he's had it for about a year, but rarely plays and is at a very novice stage in learning. we get strings, i set up his guitar, and we play a bit. i was really suprised to see him amazed at some of the simple things i was doing, ie; Playing octave chords cleanly, going over scales, minor improv with scales. it made me realize that even if i think i'm a bad guitarist in my own right, i have really improved. it reaffirmed my guitar "studying".

(near the end of us jamming i showed him GMC and he was really impressed. maybe he'll join? haha smile.gif )

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 7 2007, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Sweeping is not something you cam learn like Pentatonic scale. Sweeping is a very complex technique and it takes years to make it comfortable enough to use in soloing and regular playing so don't get discouraged. Just practice it at least 1 hour each day and you'll get there!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
epiphony
Jul 7 2007, 02:14 PM
I've only been doing this for a few days and I've learned alot from all of you,from alternate picking to amp settings.

MUCH APPRECEATED

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 7 2007, 04:06 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 6 2007, 10:24 PM) *
Well, I worked on Kris AP technique lesson, have been seriously working on AP for 4 or 5 months, and kept hearing the advice to really relax and I thought I was. Then suddenly, I was just playing my Jem and I realized that my picking hand had TOTALLY relaxed and I was holding the pick differently - so I carried on doing it to cement it. Its hard to explain ... I made a fist with my picking hand, and tried extending my fingers in the past but it didn't work because I wasnt truly relaxed. Now I am relaxing I find it more comfortable to extend my fingers slightly, sort of in a hybrid picking position, but that is really a product of the fact that I got this relaxation down.

I guess I had been concentrating on keeping the wrist relaxed, but there was still tension in my hand. At the same time I am hitting the strings very lightly and it just feels correct. I have changed my picking technique hugely since I joined GMC and I think I am finally seeing the benefit, or getting to the end of the road.

Its funny, I hold th pick really lightly but don't feel in danger of dropping it because I am brushing the strings lightly too - sorry I can't explain it any better than that!

A great illustration of this is Marcus' Winding Roads solo ... he wrings an incredible amount of emotion out of his guitar, but watch his picking hand - the movements are tiny and relaxed, looks like he is barely touching the strings.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 8 2007, 07:06 AM
Imo, Im going to boldly say that sweeping is one of the most difficult techniques on the guitar.

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 8 2007, 07:42 AM
I've been workin on Muris's Pentatonic Sub. lesson - I got most of the first video down (to tempo) and I can sorta do the triplets part. Still workin on it though.

also came up with a kinda cool riff and I've been tryin over the last week to come up with some chord progressions for it. I'm pretty sure it's in A major.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 8 2007, 02:21 PM
I'm starting to get the hang of Steve Vai like tremelo dips for expression

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 8 2007, 02:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 8 2007, 03:21 PM) *
I'm starting to get the hang of Steve Vai like tremelo dips for expression

Try to do it on your Variax biggrin.gif Just kiddin'! hahahaha Now you feel the taste of JEM, ha?

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 8 2007, 02:40 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 8 2007, 09:30 AM) *
Try to do it on your Variax biggrin.gif Just kiddin'! hahahaha Now you feel the taste of JEM, ha?

laugh.gif I was beaten before I started on the Variax - Jem tremelo ROCKS!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 8 2007, 02:40 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 8 2007, 02:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 8 2007, 03:40 PM) *
laugh.gif I was beaten before I started on the Variax - Jem tremelo ROCKS!

I'm glad you are not disappointed with your JEM! smile.gif

Ok - back on topic - something about my progress:

something clicked in my head and i started to mix sweeping and alternate picking in cool music pieces and also started to use 3-string sweeps starting from 6th and 5th strings which really adds a cool dimension in your playing. I already have a lesson to show you this stuff so i'll record it some time this week!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 8 2007, 03:16 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I got my 3 and 5 string sweeps at around 155 and 160 bpm this week, when i played along to a metronome i was quite amazed at this! smile.gif

And still....i suck at 4 string sweeps, cant get em for some reason, and 6 is tough as well, dont know why, 3 and 5 are failr easy for me.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 8 2007, 05:38 PM
Wow - good week for me - I have been working on a new song, trying to incorporate some new techniques:
  • I am starting to really get the hang of trem dips with combined pinch harmonics
  • My Legato is really coming along well
  • For the first time I am starting to incorporate some simple sweeps in my improv

Its all coming together in one place smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 05:44 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 8 2007, 08:48 AM) *
I'm glad you are not disappointed with your JEM! smile.gif

Ok - back on topic - something about my progress:

something clicked in my head and i started to mix sweeping and alternate picking in cool music pieces and also started to use 3-string sweeps starting from 6th and 5th strings which really adds a cool dimension in your playing. I already have a lesson to show you this stuff so i'll record it some time this week!

Im not all that great at sweeping, but i have tried to sweep in the middle , and start to sweep on the low E. Its pretty cool. And also add soem AP afterwards biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jul 8 2007, 06:25 PM
The Dark Canuck
Been a hectic week for me work wise so not much progress on the guitar front. I've been practicing Gabriels Rocker Riff...although still having problems with the artificial harmonics. Still practicing the first part of Pavels legato lesson...am seeing improvement there especially with my pinky. It seems to be getting better. But this is onging. And I' finally got the scratching solo in Bulls on Parade down to the point were i'm happy. Still some timing issues but it sounds pretty good. Actually I guess I got more accomplished than originally thought biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:16 AM