2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Selling Mesa Buying Axe?
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2011, 03:44 PM
Instructor
hey guys! sometimes I do myself this question... Should I sell my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and buy the Axe Ultra?

Considering this items:

1. I'm not 100% happy with the sound I get from my amp.
2. I don't like to have lots of pedals on stage.
3. I like having a specific guitar sound for each song but I want top level distortions.
4. Both cost the same here in Argentina.
5. Everybody talks about the awesomeness of the Axe.
6. But I've never tried the Axe. (You have to import one if you want it here)

What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Aug 5 2011, 06:25 PM
GMC:er
Check this out, Gabe:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
ShredNChunk
Aug 5 2011, 07:53 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 5 2011, 04:44 PM) *
hey guys! sometimes I do myself this question... Should I sell my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and buy the Axe Ultra?

Considering this items:

3. I like having a specific guitar sound for each song but I want top level distortions.

What do you think?

Hey, if your not completely happy with your tone, why not just sell it? You shouldn't keep it, just because of it's name. But, yeah i would definately sell it for the AxeFx Ultra, if you have that option. Check Ola's videos, as linked above, it really puts things into perspective.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 5 2011, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Pros:

- Top emulations
- Bunch of different other sounds
- All in one place pedalboard

Cons:

- Big and bulky pedalboard which is not cheap
- Rack with AxeFX and poweramp which will not be easier for transport then the tube head
- Digital device that is going to be outdated in several years

Choice is hard, although i would choose AxeFX any day now. I had Hiwatt DR103 head, and for that kind of money AxeFX would do the job 2000x better (nobody in the audience notices the difference anyway). There are simply so many good features with AxeFX, it's hard to beat it. If you can get used to having slightly digital sound (it will sound digital no matter what they say), then it's OK in my book smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 6 2011, 03:48 AM
Instructor
"1. I'm not 100% happy with the sound I get from my amp."

you know your answer then gab, the axefx is the best solution for live and prob the studio too, nobody in the audience wil notice, you have stereo patchs, wonderful sims, effects, etc.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 6 2011, 08:11 AM
Instructor
I would NEVER trade a tube amp for a digital thing that tries to emulate 1000 other things smile.gif maybe I would seem a little bit 'inside the box' on this matter, but, I jammed on an axe fx a few days ago and all the tones felt like they gave me the same dynamic response and a lot of effects, parameters and details which are somewhat useless to my needs. I am convinced that nothing will offer the same response as a good old tube amp and as Ivan said, any digital device will be outdated in a few years. I also tried a small 50w (I think) Blackstar amp...wow biggrin.gif holy cow, it sounded huge and so rich in everything, even though it was just a little combo..!

My advice would be, stick to the Mesa for a while and in the mean time, make some research on tube amps which could fit your needs smile.gif I'll never go back to digital anything, regarding amplification, but that's a matter of personal choice - you do what you think is best for you and you alone! wink.gif

Anything which states 'emulating' is artificial, why not NATURAL smile.gif I love organic sounds and devices which are built to do one, maybe two things which can't be done better by anything else!

For the pedals, buy a midi controller if you have a a lot of them - I made a simple setup for myself, in order to be able to perform with a few stomps and get everything else I need from the amp itself and the tone/ volume of the guitars.

In fewer words, my general mentality is - keep it simple, organic and honest - it will never go wrong smile.gif if it works for you too, great! If not, keep searching and find the tools which are best at helping you achieve the full potential of your sound!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2011, 08:23 AM
Instructor
Thanks guys for your great feedback! Many of the things that you are saying are the things that are always resonating in my head...
I will continue thinking on this.. nowadays I'm playing frequently live with my band and Mesa is doing a good job.. but you know, we are always looking for that dreamed perfect tone... I 'll check that video comparison tomorrow at the studio... thanks for the link and the replies!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 6 2011, 08:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You'll probably regret getting rid of the Mesa, and you might not get the sound you're looking for from the Axe Fx. However, sometimes you can't progress if you're not willing to take chances. In the meantime you could always try throwing a parametric EQ in the fx loop of your Mesa to get a different tone. It worked for Dimebag wink.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Aug 7 2011, 10:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 5 2011, 04:44 PM) *

Considering this items:

What do you think?

Wait, I think.....

..YES !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2011, 05:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 6 2011, 04:07 PM) *
You'll probably regret getting rid of the Mesa, and you might not get the sound you're looking for from the Axe Fx. However, sometimes you can't progress if you're not willing to take chances. In the meantime you could always try throwing a parametric EQ in the fx loop of your Mesa to get a different tone. It worked for Dimebag wink.gif

I've never tried using a parametric EQ... I'm now curious to know how much I could change my sound with it...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 7 2011, 05:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 7 2011, 11:22 AM) *
I've never tried using a parametric EQ... I'm now curious to know how much I could change my sound with it...

A TON biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 7 2011, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 7 2011, 12:22 PM) *

It takes A LOT of tweaking, but the possibilities with it are endless.

Here is a pedal version of a parametric EQ. I don't know if its a good one or not or how much tweakability it has. But if it works anything like the one thats on the Boss GT-10, it will offer loads of tones.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BOSS-PQ-4-Parametri...a#ht_500wt_1156

Heres a good example of one to find, because you can:

- Sweep the through the frequencies
- adjust the width of the frequencies
- and boost the frequencies

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parametric-EQ-3-bands-...#ht_3338wt_1185

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2011, 10:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 7 2011, 06:29 PM) *
It takes A LOT of tweaking, but the possibilities with it are endless.

Here is a pedal version of a parametric EQ. I don't know if its a good one or not or how much tweakability it has. But if it works anything like the one thats on the Boss GT-10, it will offer loads of tones.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BOSS-PQ-4-Parametri...a#ht_500wt_1156

You gave me the idea to experiment a bit with the EQs of my pod X3 live. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 7 2011, 11:16 PM
In short yes smile.gif

Mesa TR does have great tone but it's not that flexible. The AXE FX can do just about anything. Megadeth is using the axe
fx on the road. This vid goes through each guys setup. From what I hear, Dave Mustaine has abandoned the digitech
and switched to Axe FX as well.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipme...hris-axefx.html

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 8 2011, 09:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 7 2011, 07:16 PM) *
In short yes smile.gif

Mesa TR does have great tone but it's not that flexible. The AXE FX can do just about anything. Megadeth is using the axe
fx on the road. This vid goes through each guys setup. From what I hear, Dave Mustaine has abandoned the digitech
and switched to Axe FX as well.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipme...hris-axefx.html

yes, I knew that Broderick was emulating an Engl amp with his AXE in the Megadeth live gigs and using a Marshall tube power amp.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 8 2011, 10:14 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
No, I wouldn't. It's digital. I've been down that road many times. With the Zoom9002 - some things in between - and then the POD X3 and every time it's astonishing how well these digital boxes sound, but always in comparence to the real thing.
it's purpose is to imitate real tube amps. Which to me must mean that tube amps are worth to simulate.
It'll be judged by how well it can imitate a tube amp. They can never become better (then there wouldn't be anything left to imitate, right)
I'm sure the Axe 2 does a tremendous job imitating real tube amps. I'm sure it does the job better than the first Axe. And I'm sure Axe 3 will make an even better job than all it's predecessors.
My old Zoom 9002 that was a revolution by it's time. What'd it be worth today if I had kept it. Simple. Zero.
The risk is that an Axe, Digidesign 11, POD etc. will be bad investments, in terms of value. Unless history doesn't drasticly change all of a sudden. But as long as new digital inventions keep surpassing their predecessors that will always be.

I own a POD X3, it's a great sound interface. I also gig with a Blackstar Dual pedal into whatever amp the soundguys brought since I have a hard time transporting a head and a 4x12 cab in the tube. That's mostly being convenient. Any important gig I'm bringing the car and play through head and cab. Anything else is a compromise with sound.

Someone can tell me I won't even hear the difference between the Axe 2 and a real Mesa Dual Rectifier.
That may be true.
The same people will tell me, when the Axe 3 is released, that I won't even hear the difference between the Axe 3 and a real Mesa Dual Rectifier and that the new Axe is even better than the old one was.
Such is the case and it'll always be. The amps getting imitated stay the same.

I think it's impossible to beat the real thing. I think a digital unit can do a good enough job. "It almost sound real". And as a compromise to a real tube amp, for numerous reasons - tubes break on tour, heavy to move around, I think it can be just right.
Like I said, I compromise, I play gigs through a pedal since I'm too lazy to carry my half stack. It's good enough. But I never consider to compromise to get a better sound.

Then I'd start looking elsewhere, in the tube amp section.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 8 2011, 03:29 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 7 2011, 05:52 PM) *
You gave me the idea to experiment a bit with the EQs of my pod X3 live. smile.gif

Yeah theres a parametric eq in the Line6 UX1, so there should definitely be one in the X3.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 8 2011, 04:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 8 2011, 06:14 AM) *
No, I wouldn't. It's digital. I've been down that road many times. With the Zoom9002 - some things in between - and then the POD X3 and every time it's astonishing how well these digital boxes sound, but always in comparence to the real thing.
it's purpose is to imitate real tube amps. Which to me must mean that tube amps are worth to simulate.
It'll be judged by how well it can imitate a tube amp. They can never become better (then there wouldn't be anything left to imitate, right)
I'm sure the Axe 2 does a tremendous job imitating real tube amps. I'm sure it does the job better than the first Axe. And I'm sure Axe 3 will make an even better job than all it's predecessors.
My old Zoom 9002 that was a revolution by it's time. What'd it be worth today if I had kept it. Simple. Zero.
The risk is that an Axe, Digidesign 11, POD etc. will be bad investments, in terms of value. Unless history doesn't drasticly change all of a sudden. But as long as new digital inventions keep surpassing their predecessors that will always be.

I own a POD X3, it's a great sound interface. I also gig with a Blackstar Dual pedal into whatever amp the soundguys brought since I have a hard time transporting a head and a 4x12 cab in the tube. That's mostly being convenient. Any important gig I'm bringing the car and play through head and cab. Anything else is a compromise with sound.

Someone can tell me I won't even hear the difference between the Axe 2 and a real Mesa Dual Rectifier.
That may be true.
The same people will tell me, when the Axe 3 is released, that I won't even hear the difference between the Axe 3 and a real Mesa Dual Rectifier and that the new Axe is even better than the old one was.

I think it's impossible to beat the real thing. I think a digital unit can do a good enough job. "It almost sound real". And as a compromise to a real tube amp, for numerous reasons - tubes break on tour, heavy to move around, I think it can be just right.
Like I said, I compromise, I play gigs through a pedal since I'm too lazy to carry my half stack. It's good enough. But I never consider to compromise to get a better sound.
Then I'd start looking elsewhere, in the tube amp section.

great post! Can't agree more with everything...

this is so true!

That may be true.

and it's also true that getting a digital unit is a bad investment in the long term... it's not a minor detail!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 8 2011, 10:15 PM
Instructor
Glad you're deciding to stay true to the good ol' tube amps biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2011, 10:24 PM
Instructor
Tube amp will always be a tube amp, but it won't be anything else than that! wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:29 AM