What Are Your Compressor Plugins Of Choise, when mastering?
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 3 2011, 10:22 AM
Instructor
Gab told me in previous thread about PSP OldTimer that he used VintageWarmer & Ultramaximizer for mastering, which is a very nice combo, I used L3 multimaximizer for quite some time too, which is very similar, transparent multiband compressor.

Let's share out compressor plugins for mastering here and some of the frequent settings that you start out with and tweak from there. It would be good what are the plugins you base your mastering method.
smile.gif

Possibly Tony could give us some insight on some plugins too, we know you're using professional gear and compressors, so you know how the "real" stuff works and possible ways to emulate the effects with software.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 4 2011, 10:26 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 4 2011, 04:39 AM) *
These are really two different worlds we are talking about. High end mastering, using pricey hardware is a different planet than home recording using software. Both have their place of course. For home recording/software mastering, I also dig the ozone plugin. They make some great stuff. Depending on who you ask, and which world they live in, you are going to get widely different responses.

Some folks feel the ozone is too heavy handed and tends to over do it. There is some truth to to this, and if I was paying top dollar for a mastering session and the guy whips out his laptop and ozone, I would probably walk. If paying for a session, I'm expecting gear that I don't have and wouldn't buy (cost/maintenance issues). But for home recording, and getting a decent result with a minimum of time and hassle, Izotope ozone on a laptop is really tough to beat.

Very true Todd. A couple of things to be careful of with Ozone is that the presets are all a bit too extreme for mastering and when Ozone is pushed it distorts and produces some odd atefacts. If you keep it within its comfort zone its ok.

Pro mastering sessions are not as expensive as people think btw. The main purpose of mastering however is not about effects and dynamics processing. It is more about quality control: ensuring that the project is coherent and consistent, and that the final audio is fit for purpose, and in particular, meets redbook. Most people don't think these quality controls are important - until the day when their 'premaster' is either rejected by the replication plant or worse still goes through a duplicator who leaves them with 1000s of unplayable CDs. Same for digital only - people wonder why their digital recording sounds rubbish on youtube, soundcloud, radio, digital download and so on and most of the time its because of poor control so the product is not fit for purpose.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:51 PM