Crackle In My New Guitar
Chokehold
Oct 5 2009, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
I just got my Schecter Hellraiser C-7, and after I played with it a couple of hours I start to hear crackle from the amp when I turn in the volume knobs. Any idea what the problem can be? It works perfect with my other guitar on the same settings.

This guitar is btw an replacement for the other one which I had to send back because of this same problem, Same guitar but with a Floyd Rose bridge.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 5 2009, 08:40 PM
Instructor
Could be that the knobs collected some dust/dirt and loosing contact, it's most likely that in fact. Don't worry, it's not a big problem at all, next time you want to swap the strings, take it to guitar tech (without strings, everything already unscrewed) and ask him to check it out (perhaps he won't make you pay even) The worst case scenario you will need new pots, and they are pretty cheap.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 5 2009, 08:40 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 5 2009, 08:43 PM
Learning Roadie
You can also get electronics cleaner which helps out with that. When I got my hot rod deluxe (that I no longer have) it made horrible noise when turning some of the knobs, my dad and I simply took the knobs off, used some of this cleaner and it cleared the problem right up. No idea what it's called though.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Oct 5 2009, 08:46 PM
But the guitar I sent back before I got this one were the same model, and the same problem, so can't it be something connected to the guitar or something?

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 5 2009, 08:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Chokehold @ Oct 5 2009, 09:46 PM) *
But the guitar I sent back before I got this one were the same model, and the same problem, so can't it be something connected to the guitar or something?

Check your cable... it's kinda weird if both guitars have it! For a perfect test, take two guitars, two cables and two amps wink.gif then try to play with a different amp, use a different guitar, or use a different cable!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Oct 5 2009, 08:56 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Oct 5 2009, 09:53 PM) *
Check your cable... it's kinda weird if both guitars have it! For a perfect test, take two guitars, two cables and two amps wink.gif then try to play with a different amp, use a different guitar, or use a different cable!

I have checked with different cables/the one I got with the new guitar and it still crackles.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 5 2009, 09:00 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Chokehold @ Oct 5 2009, 09:46 PM) *

Maybe that model features poor quality pots?

As Ivan said, if that's the problem, it isn't expensive to have them replaced.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 5 2009, 09:03 PM
If the problem is with the Volume Pots then you need to buy some 'Switch Cleaner'.
Carefully lift the Volume Knobs off the Guitar and spray some Cleaner down the edges of the splined shaft that's sticking out of the Body.
Wipe up any 'overspill' straight away.
That's all you need to do! If it still crackles then it's not the Pots!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 5 2009, 09:24 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 5 2009, 04:03 PM) *
If the problem is with the Volume Pots then you need to buy some 'Switch Cleaner'.
Carefully lift the Volume Knobs off the Guitar and spray some Cleaner down the edges of the splined shaft that's sticking out of the Body.
Wipe up any 'overspill' straight away.
That's all you need to do! If it still crackles then it's not the Pots!!
biggrin.gif

Thats the stuff!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 5 2009, 09:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
Also check the input plug if you haven't already. It sounds like it bad pots but it might aswell be a loose input jack!

If you are getting new pots, remember to buy 25k pots for active pickups!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 6 2009, 05:37 AM
QUOTE (Chokehold @ Oct 5 2009, 01:46 PM) *

If it's a bad batch of pots, they might have made hundreds of guitars with the same problem, so I'm not surprised that 2 in a row have the same problem.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 6 2009, 08:52 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Bad pots or bad soldering on them, leaning towards the pots though. You should return it, new things should function from day one.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Oct 6 2009, 10:49 PM
Instructor
Sounds like bad pots to me.

If it were from the same company, then maybe both those C7's might have been stored unboxed for quite some time.. or been played on alot in the store (if you ordered from a regular store).

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 8 2009, 05:04 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also guess it is the pots, I would either try this spray that somebody mentioned (yes, it can help) or immediately replacing the pots.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:00 AM