3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Fender Vintage Radius 7.25
bleez
Aug 18 2016, 07:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Just curious but does anyone have any opinions on necks of the vintage styled fenders, like the 1960's series with the 7.25 fingerboard radius?
Generally speaking ( I know its subjective ) but are they 'easier' for playing 'thumb over' type Hendrix / Frusciante chords?
Are they noticeably different or awkward compared to a Les Paul?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 18 2016, 09:21 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 18 2016, 07:04 PM) *
Just curious but does anyone have any opinions on necks of the vintage styled fenders, like the 1960's series with the 7.25 fingerboard radius?
Generally speaking ( I know its subjective ) but are they 'easier' for playing 'thumb over' type Hendrix / Frusciante chords?
Are they noticeably different or awkward compared to a Les Paul?

They are 'easier' for that style of playing compared to an LP but that's more to do with the LP neck being wider across the Fingerboard rather than the Radius of it.
smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 18 2016, 09:39 PM
To me technically such radious is good for barre chord and as sensible jones comment the shape of the neck is nicely shaped according to it.

On the feeling side there are many who prefers them when standing as the wrist is relaxed...till now we basically explained why Strats are so commonly used on stage for various genres smile.gif

But right after playing one then picking-up a les paul, yeah you'll definitly feel the change. Although as an ibanez guy (even more dramatical feel change) I can see myself enjoying one if I had one in a collection, it wouldn't be collecting dust.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 19 2016, 01:27 AM
They're also a little tougher to bend, especially if you're used to the flatter radiuses (radii?) though Hendrix and SRV did OK.

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 19 2016, 06:54 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Interesting, thanks guys smile.gif
do they tend to fret out when bending, or is that a bit of a myth?

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 19 2016, 07:16 AM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 18 2016, 10:54 PM) *
Interesting, thanks guys smile.gif
do they tend to fret out when bending, or is that a bit of a myth?

They do when the action is too low and the strings are skinny - both relatively 'normal' now for modern rock. When the 7.25 was first used, strings were thicker (11 - 50 was normal) and action was a bit higher.

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 19 2016, 11:03 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 19 2016, 07:16 AM) *
They do when the action is too low and the strings are skinny - both relatively 'normal' now for modern rock. When the 7.25 was first used, strings were thicker (11 - 50 was normal) and action was a bit higher.

cool, a decent setup and youre good to go smile.gif Ken, what gauge would be you're preference for a 7.25 tele?

Im proper jonesing for one of the 1960 series tele's, probably a mex tbh although I'll try the US '64 version and hope it doesnt feel £800 more awesome than its mexican compadre.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 19 2016, 11:41 AM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 19 2016, 10:03 AM) *
cool, a decent setup and youre good to go smile.gif Ken, what gauge would be you're preference for a 7.25 tele?

Im proper jonesing for one of the 1960 series tele's, probably a mex tbh although I'll try the US '64 version and hope it doesnt feel £800 more awesome than its mexican compadre.

Nice! also investigate how much would be needed for a full electronics upgrade (PU's, cap. etc.) on a mexican before comparing to a USA made too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 19 2016, 01:06 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 19 2016, 11:03 AM) *

My own preference on my Tele's is 10-46. That's the same for my 72 Thinline, my G&L Asat and my MIJ Fender Standard. In fact it's what I use on all my guitars!!
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Aug 19 2016, 01:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 19 2016, 01:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Interesting! Had never heard of this before. Shows how little I know smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 19 2016, 03:07 PM
Like Jonesy, I wouldn't go lighter than a set of 10s.
*I personally use 11 - 50 on almost all my guitars. I'm not a 'shred' guy so that may not be practical for everybody. More importantly - I would set the action a hair above the factory recommended spec.

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 19 2016, 06:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 19 2016, 03:07 PM) *
Like Jonesy, I wouldn't go lighter than a set of 10s.
*I personally use 11 - 50 on almost all my guitars. I'm not a 'shred' guy so that may not be practical for everybody. More importantly - I would set the action a hair above the factory recommended spec.

That's interesting to know, Im not a shred guy either ( apparently! ) all being well and I manage to get the tele I might give the 11s a go. For some reason I thought a lighter gauge would have been more common rolleyes.gif Good to know coz I always find anything below 10s a bit weird.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Aug 19 2016, 01:06 PM) *
My own preference on my Tele's is 10-46. That's the same for my 72 Thinline, my G&L Asat and my MIJ Fender Standard. In fact it's what I use on all my guitars!!
smile.gif

I go for tens as well.... the gentlemans gauge biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 19 2016, 11:41 AM) *
Nice! also investigate how much would be needed for a full electronics upgrade (PU's, cap. etc.) on a mexican before comparing to a USA made too.

Good idea. What would be the most common upgrades that most folks do to mexican teles? I would be happy to shell out for some really good pickups if needed.
I actually really love the way a strat sounds but I find them quite awkward to play,

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 19 2016, 07:31 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 19 2016, 10:09 AM) *
That's interesting to know, Im not a shred guy either ( apparently! ) all being well and I manage to get the tele I might give the 11s a go. For some reason I thought a lighter gauge would have been more common rolleyes.gif Good to know coz I always find anything below 10s a bit weird.

I go for tens as well.... the gentlemans gauge biggrin.gif

Good idea. What would be the most common upgrades that most folks do to mexican teles? I would be happy to shell out for some really good pickups if needed.
I actually really love the way a strat sounds but I find them quite awkward to play,

Depends on the model. The more vintage spec Teles i.e., the 'classic' series are pretty great as is ... http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guit...05.html#start=1

Common upgrades if desired:
1) brass 3 saddle bridge feet
2) boutique pkups (of which at this point there are literally dozens of makers and all are good) depending on what type of tele tone you're going for. *Slightly hotter 50s wind is popular.
3) maybe(?) better vintage style (kluson) tuners (you don't want them to heavy).
4) usually not necessary but you can upgrade the pots and wire.

*A Telecaster should be a light weight (and fairly balanced) electric guitar. 6 to 7.5 lbs (2.72 - 3.40 kgs).
Ideally swamp ash (or ash) is the preferred wood though Alder is also common. A lot of guys prefer pine (super light).

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 19 2016, 09:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Its this classic series 60s tele which Ive got my eye on. The closest US version is more than double the price sad.gif I dont know if the pups in the mexican one are anything vintage-y or just the ones which go in standard teles.
As long as it doesn't sound country wink.gif Im more looking for a older bluesy /classic rock type deal.
what would the brass saddle upgrade improve?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 19 2016, 09:32 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 19 2016, 08:03 PM) *
Its this classic series 60s tele which Ive got my eye on. The closest US version is more than double the price sad.gif I dont know if the pups in the mexican one are anything vintage-y or just the ones which go in standard teles.
As long as it doesn't sound country wink.gif Im more looking for a older bluesy /classic rock type deal.

A friend of mine has a USA tele loaded with Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele Pickups, they might be the most strat-ish sounding PU's out there. Still has that tele tone thing going on but not so traditional sounding.

Another friend has has 2 squiers one loaded with fender n3 PU and another with dimarzio noiseless PU's that I can't remember the models. There are ups and downs with noiseless but for the versatility (able to go higher gain sounds) they're very fun. The dimarzio's surprised me as I was expecting them to be harsher but they sound pretty good.

First time I got my hands on a Tele, I couldn't believe how often my hand would go to the tone knob. Nailing the higher freq.s can be hard when modifying a guitar as even new cables can make a difference when critical listening. After you select a pickup, its good to e-mail to the manufacturar to get spec.s before chaning pots and capasitor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 19 2016, 10:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 19 2016, 09:32 PM) *
A friend of mine has a USA tele loaded with Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele Pickups, they might be the most strat-ish sounding PU's out there. Still has that tele tone thing going on but not so traditional sounding.

oooh! I DO like the sound of that smile.gif the CS twisted tele set isn't really all that expensive either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 19 2016, 10:58 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 19 2016, 01:03 PM) *

That's basically the same one I linked to. I have one of those (in black). Great guitar. In fact, it's one of the best Teles I've ever owned (and I've had a lot!).

Brass saddles will give you slightly more sustain and a slightly darker (less super bright) tone. I will emphasize slightly. All manner of components contributing to a guitar's tone - you may not even notice it.

If you want more of a blues/classic rock tone I'd go for replacement pkups that are more like P-90s or just a hotter wind.

*With a Tele, you learn not to be afraid to roll off the tone control to maybe 6 or 7 when you're on the bridge pkup (amp dependent of course).

Creamery. These are British ... http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-p...ter-bridge.html

Lollar ... http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant....ecaster-pickups

Duncan ... http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/hot-tele-set

Bare Knuckle ... https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/picku...sub=vintage_hot

Zhangbucker ... http://www.zhangbucker.com/
I have a 'Paul Bunyan' bridge pkup in one of my Teles - very fat but still sounds like a Tele.
Here's a quick and rough vid (cell phone) of my Mex Tele w/Zhangbucker in the bridge position ...

I use a stock TS-9 and a clean Fender style amp to show that you don't need any 'special' gear to get a meaty tone from a Tele. A medium hot pkup and the most common of ODs will do it.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 20 2016, 03:44 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 20 2016, 07:53 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks for the info, Ken. Much appreciated. I'm going through all those links, some really nice sounding tones smile.gif
your tele sounds phenomenal! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 20 2016, 05:21 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 19 2016, 11:53 PM) *
I'm going through all those links, some really nice sounding tones smile.gif

Telecasters are probably 'the' most modified guitars, starting all the way back into the early 50s so there's gonna be a TON of options and info. The good news is is that most of the mods/options all sound really good!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 21 2016, 03:17 PM
One other 'upgrade' is to turn the Control Plate around so that you have the Volume Pot at the front, then the Tone and the Pickup Selector at the back.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:57 AM