How Much Of The Actual Tone Is In The Fingers?
Daniel Realpe
Oct 25 2010, 10:01 PM
Instructor
I'm going to say it's 80%!!

Then comes the guitar and amp, and all the rest of stuff.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 25 2010, 10:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Holy crap - that's cool! So Vai helped that along with Ibanez's changes? coooooool cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 25 2010, 11:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Oct 25 2010, 10:13 PM) *
Holy crap - that's cool! So Vai helped that along with Ibanez's changes? coooooool cool.gif

yeah, I know, exceptional

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 26 2010, 12:05 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
A perfect example of this is SRV, there are many videos of him playing different types of Strats with different pickups and amps, but he always has the SRV tone.

Another good example is Dimebag Darrell - with Pantera he played Randall solid state amps exclusively, and with Damageplan he used Krank tube amps. Two very different setups, but still the same balls-to-the-wall Dime sound.

So yes Daniel, you're absolutely right, tone is mostly in the hands.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
RobK87
Oct 26 2010, 01:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
So he says he came up with the idea of a more 'sexy' look... I wonder how influential he really was for that development of that alongside Ibanez. Along with all the other things that make Ibanez guitars instantly attractive.
I mean damn... he has inspired me again.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 26 2010, 01:32 AM
Instructor
That's awesome, he was truly an innovator in those days! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JamesT
Oct 26 2010, 02:39 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
And to think I was around in 87 when Ibanez came out with the first Vai model. My pal Chuck bought one. I got the JS model. Both cool guitars and it's really cool to know that they're still around.

Great video! cool.gif

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 26 2010, 03:33 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Great video. It's always good listening to a Guitar Hero like Vai smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 27 2010, 07:34 PM
Instructor
yes, he's really genuine and doesn't hold back.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 27 2010, 10:44 PM
GMC:er
Daniel is right on with this. With many great players, and many players in general, much of their tone comes from the player, not the gear. The way you hold the pick, the type of pick you use, the guage of string, the way you strike each string, etc. There are so many things that go in to creating "tone". And much more than you would think comes directly from the artist playing the instrument.

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 27 2010, 11:37 PM
This video is great too. It shows many of the advancements that are considered almost standard today in Ibanez guitars that Vai helped to make mainstream. I have a 7 string Ibanez with the recessed floating whammy and 24 frets and the huge cutaway for higher fret work and I love it. It's my favorite guitar. It just plays like a dream. I like all my guitars, but this one is special. If you don't have a 7 string Ibanez with these features, go play one and see if you can stand not to buy it.

Attached Image
Todd

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 28 2010, 04:54 AM
Learning Roadie
Sweet collection there, Todd. cool.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 28 2010, 07:38 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
wow reading the comments I just felt, I have used 4-5 setups and I sound just like me, poor tone and trying to get more 'great' gears... too bad.. I need some volume, tone controls on my fingers.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Oct 28 2010, 08:14 AM
Learning Roadie
Marcus Lavendell is another great example of controlling the tone with fingers. It's not mostly in the gear, though the gear affects, too. smile.gif

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 28 2010, 09:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
Also fun to see this in real life action. Mattias IA Eklundh has a very unique tone. I played on his exact gear, exact settings, exact pick, exact room and everything was exactly the same. And my TONE (not playing style, but that also) was lighyears away from his. smile.gif

...Also, Marty Friedman can get a wahwah-like tone out of just his fingers.

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Oct 28 2010, 09:41 AM

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Oct 29 2010, 01:21 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Oct 25 2010, 11:01 PM) *
I'm going to say it's 80%!!

Then comes the guitar and amp, and all the rest of stuff.

True !

I wouldn't say 80%, 70% or 50%, but I know one thing for sure: All the greatguitarists have their own sound no matter what amp they play, you will recognise them . . .

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2010, 05:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very insightful video! I didn't know he was such a inventor smile.gif I was also wondering why the guitar had a "handle" in design and who's idea that was. Actually know when I think about it and hear his reasoning - it makes perfect sense ! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 31 2010, 10:47 PM
100%. Sort of like a woman. Makeup can embellish her beauty, but sooner or later you see her without her makeup, and that is what she really looks like.

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Nov 1 2010, 02:20 AM
Instructor
awesome!!! this vid made my day smile.gif thanks for sharing man.

@ Todd: I'm going to buy one of those in early future, I simply love them!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 1 2010, 12:26 PM
GMC Founder
Very cool topic!

I would say depending on the guitarist it's between 80-99% in the fingers. I agree with Sollesnes Marty example - through his bending, picking technique and choice of notes he does his unmistakable thing on a completely clean setup without effects.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:11 AM