Technical Difficulties!
Braer
Apr 17 2009, 07:56 PM
GMC:er
Hey all gmcers! I have been playing guitar for a half year now. When i started play guitar my goal was to play Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert. I have seen alot people on youtube playing it, and mostly kids. dry.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVpHLFfqwWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVpSn2nMcGA...feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiuOjSIqOA

And it goes on.

I have just learned Yngwie malmstens arpeggios from hell, do YOU think this should be harder? How long is normal time by learning songs like this? How should i practice it? tips?

In a scale from (easy)1 - 10(hard), how hard do you think it is?

Thanks.

(My english sucks, i know biggrin.gif)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Braer: Apr 17 2009, 08:08 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Apr 17 2009, 08:12 PM
I dont think that technical difficulties is a song that you learn in a year, it is very hard but I cant rate it but if you want to learn it you have to practice alternate picking, keep working and dont give up.

Good luck smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Braer
Apr 17 2009, 09:05 PM
Common guys!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Apr 17 2009, 09:18 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I have tried to learn it and it is pretty hard. You just need to have very fast alternate picking.

+Quote Post
Braer
Apr 17 2009, 09:22 PM
my alternate picking is pretty fast, it felt very naturaly to me when i started playing (i hope you understand what i mean). but i need to practise my fretting hand, anny tips?

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 17 2009, 09:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Technical Difficulties isn't just hard because of the fast alternate picking. To get the right PG vibe you need to put a lot of dynamics into the phrasing. That's what makes Gilbert so darn good. He's an expressive shredder
To do well and produce the perfect take, level 9/10 I'd say

QUOTE (Braer @ Apr 17 2009, 09:22 PM) *
my alternate picking is pretty fast, it felt very naturaly to me when i started playing (i hope you understand what i mean). but i need to practise my fretting hand, anny tips?

Legato practise will help your fretting hand and it will also help your alternate picking sound smoother/more natural

This post has been edited by Artemus: Apr 17 2009, 09:27 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 17 2009, 09:31 PM
Instructor
I'm not sure cause I haven't learned that song, and don't know what your level of playing is, but I do know that most of the time what we think is very far away technically speaking, it is just around the corned if you put your mind to it, and focus your practice sessions to achieve that goal. It's a painstaking process, but it really pays out when you achieve a goal, so I think you shouldn't worry about achieving anything now, and just play the music you like for fun of it. Don't chase the speed, it will come, and try to enjoy in the meantime or else you will loose all the motivation like this.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 17 2009, 09:35 PM
If you're new to playing Gilbert numbers, I highly recommend his instructional video series, Intense Rock 1 and 2
http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Gilbert-Intense...l/dp/B000IU3XYM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Matt23
Apr 17 2009, 09:35 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Lots of trills, if you want to get your left hand fast.

This is a trill based exercise I composed that has worked well for increasing my left hand speed.

Attached Image

If you decide to practice it, play it as fast as you can cleanly, as many times as you can. Also, make sure you use the fingers for each trill that I've written on the tab, and don't use a pick at anytime.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Matt

+Quote Post
Braer
Apr 17 2009, 10:38 PM
thanks all of you!

QUOTE (Matt23 @ Apr 17 2009, 10:35 PM) *
Lots of trills, if you want to get your left hand fast.

This is a trill based exercise I composed that has worked well for increasing my left hand speed.

Attached Image

If you decide to practice it, play it as fast as you can cleanly, as many times as you can. Also, make sure you use the fingers for each trill that I've written on the tab, and don't use a pick at anytime.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Matt

How much would you say i should practice it?

+Quote Post
Matt23
Apr 17 2009, 10:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Braer @ Apr 17 2009, 10:38 PM) *
How much would you say i should practice it?

Everyone is different so I don't know how long you could practice it without getting bored. If you practice well for half an hour a day, within a week you will nearly definitely see an improvement. The longer you practice it though, the faster you will improve.

+Quote Post
berko
Apr 17 2009, 10:53 PM
I don't think you should bother about youtube kids. They sometimes seem very professional and fast but many of these shredder boys end up being one sided or totally spoiled musically. You don't want to be one of them do you? It's alright that there is one specific solo/song that inspires you to push the boundaries further out but while you are getting closer and closer, you may (and you should) find new stuff that inspires you in another way. By the time you have the technical level (i'm sure you'll reach it with enough practicing) you will already have a huge repertoire of other songs and licks. Don't forget to jam a lot. Tackle some PG stuff later and put Technical Difficulties as a crown onto you hard work a few years later. Otherwise you'll just end up being totally frustrated.

Rock on man cool.gif

This post has been edited by berko: Apr 17 2009, 10:54 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Apr 18 2009, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Well everyone would probably give it a different number, I'd give it an 8, to sound like Paul Gilbert your Alternate Picking has to be fast but more importantly accurate, what makes Paul Gilbert an Amazing shredder is not his speed, there are others out there that play faster like Rusty Cooley and that Francesco Fareri guy, however I'd take Paul Gilbert over any of those guys, because I can hear every note clearly and he adds dynamics to his shred, much harder to do than simply playing fast.

It is one thing to tremolo pick (fast picking over a single note) and another thing to Alternate pick, requires perfect synchronization of left and right hand which is the hard part of this technique. By all means give it a try, you might be months away from doing it, but it is definitely a good tune to practice and achieve a good Alternate Picking Technique

I gave this tune a try with my brother, we were just having fun, solos were totally improvised and there are 100 mistakes, but we enjoyed it.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 18 2009, 03:11 PM
Jose and bro - that's awesome biggrin.gif
Turn your brother up next time, I couldn't quite hear his solo. He was smokin'.. you both were.
Things like this are great fun to play, even better to play with someone else.

This post has been edited by Artemus: Apr 18 2009, 03:11 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 18 2009, 03:28 PM
Jose and Bro...
Awesome!!!!!!
ohmy.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Braer
Apr 18 2009, 05:03 PM
awsome, how long did you use to learn it?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 18 2009, 07:47 PM
Instructor
Great take Jose, bro is awesome as well!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Braer @ Apr 17 2009, 08:56 PM) *
How long is normal time by learning songs like this? How should i practice it? tips?

In a scale from (easy)1 - 10(hard), how hard do you think it is?

Timing depends on you, how focused you'll be in learning/practicing,
rating this piece also varies a lot, some great players
have killer legato but not so great picking and vica verse,
you shouldn't be worried about rating imo,
if you want it, you go for it!
And as for tips I would recommend nothing new,
learn all notes correctly, start playing very slow to
hear all the notes loud and clear, then upgrade the tempo as you please. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Apr 19 2009, 09:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ Apr 18 2009, 12:03 PM) *
awsome, how long did you use to learn it?

When I first heard this tune was when I watched Paul Gilbert's Instructional video called Terrifyng guitar trip if I remember correctly, I had no tabs or anything but I was able to figure out some parts, this is more than 8 years ago, I never learned the whole thing.

Then a few days before we recorded that video I told my brother to do it for fun, and of course now there was guitar pro and made it much easier, so we learned the parts and practiced for a few days, each one of us on our own, and then we practiced a few hours together to record that video, you will notice we do not know every part, the solos are totally improvised, and some are played by ear.

I don't really know how to answer your question but I guess I had been practicing alternate picking for at least 5 years before attempting this tune.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:38 AM