Tone Of "dear God", How to get it?
djohnneay
Nov 21 2009, 05:02 PM
GMC:er
Dear fellow GMC-ers,

Today, I have a question. I've been trying to play "Dear God" by Avenged Sevenfold.
Already got the intro down, seems like it is in Em (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm rather a newbie to learning songs by ear). Anyway, the tone used for the lead guitar is very nice, but I have not idea how he gets it.
I've got a Kustom Arrow 16 amp, and a Silvertone SIK1 guitar. It's probably not possible to really get the tone like it is in the song, but I'd like to come as close to it as possible anyway.

Here's the song :

Hoping for some helpful replies, and thanks in advance!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by djohnneay: Nov 21 2009, 05:03 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 21 2009, 05:19 PM
That's a slide. Glass or steel (I suspect steel bar on an actual lap slide guitar) on the frets. Might be some auto-swell or volume pedal in use as well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Nov 21 2009, 05:26 PM
Wow... I've never listened to this band before, they've got a great sound! This song seems to have some "country" sounds. The guitars have almost a pedal steel guitar sound? I almost think of Shaina Twain... for some of the guitar parts. I don't think the sound is too elusive, but I may not be the best person to help. Some of the lead tone sounds are high but not too bright... and distorted, Bridge pick up... maybe active/high output... roll back the tone on your guitar just a bit... and I think I almost hear a tremelo effect? It almost seems to swell? Anyway Good Luck.. cool.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Nov 21 2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! Seems I need to purchase some gear in order to get that tone. Well mayby I'll be able to get a slide somewhere, and then just play with the volume knob a little. Besides effects, any idea what kind of settings he uses ? I thought some kind of neck pickup, with a little distortion and tone knob a little drawn back.

@Hammerhead : Avenged Sevenfold is a metalcore band, but they blend multiple styles into their music. This is one of those songs that has multiple styles to it, and in which metal is not thát representative. I would definataly recommend you to them, as they are an awesome band, but if you don't like metal, you might not like their other songs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 21 2009, 08:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
Schecter Mahagony body guitar (Sinyster Gates Signature) with Seymour Duncan Sh-8 Invader pickups and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Amp (at least that is the lead guitarist live rig)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 21 2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Nov 21 2009, 05:26 PM) *
Wow... I've never listened to this band before, they've got a great sound! This song seems to have some "country" sounds. The guitars have almost a pedal steel guitar sound? I almost think of Shaina Twain... for some of the guitar parts. cool.gif

I recently got into Avenged sevenfold, they are mostly known from their metal material. Check out their self titled album, I love the guitars in it,

I agree with jafo on the sound, for the lead it's done with a pedal steel guitar, you could get a similar sound with a slide,

Amp EQed with mostly medium range up not too bright and little gain and drive,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Nov 22 2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks guys... I will check out this band. I was into metal for a long time, but have a broad taste now in music. Since I have children, I try to keep the music... well not to loud wink.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:51 PM