> Ola Englund On Releasing An Album To Nobody
Todd Simpson
post Apr 23 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

In this FAQ one of the first questions is about releasing an album. Ola mentions that if you don't yet have an audience, releasing an album is sorta pointless. If you have no audience to release the album to, it's sorta going to be released to nobody. Instead, he suggests releasing one track at a time and building an audience as you go. Using each track to build up an audience.

He's got a good point here. I've seen folks actually press up CDs in the hope that an audience will just appear as if by magic. Most often, the audience does not appear as if by magic and the band ends up giving away the CDs to anyone that will take them. Some bands can sell them at shows, sometimes not. With Spotify, you don't really need to press up CDs anymore. But it's always an option once you build an audience up. Here is the vid.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Apr 23 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #2

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Yes - an album is a product.

If you do not have a plan on how to market / sell a product - there is no real point in producing the product.

Unless, of course - you enjoy doing it, just for fun smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Apr 23 2018, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

An almost worthless product even if successful biggrin.gif

I was thought back in the day an album realistically being a product but today I see it as part of a promotion tool. Its always about shows or merch. for whoever is famous today and will be forgotten a few years later (!)...

Online success is reality but I do advise local promotion, having a few copys of an album (cd) can be handy when used like a business card.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 24 2018, 03:10 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Wise words! That's why there are many guitar youtubers and instagramers that are now starting to release their own albums. They built their audience online before realising their original music

One good example of what Ola is saying is Mateus Asato. He became popular thanks to instagram videos, so he started to do guitar gear videos, and some songs that are only shared at insta and youtube. Nowadays he is giving masterclasses all around the world and working on his first LP.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 24 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

OLA IS THE NEW BIZ MODEL! smile.gif Build an audience online and then leverage it. OLA did the same thing. He built a HUGe youtube fan base and released his FEARED album complete with MIDI drums tracks and other files that were used in making it. That was very clever IMHO. Then he got so popular online that he got invited to go on a world tour with SIX FEET UNDER. He'd never toured anywhere before as his band FEARED is really just him. But he built an audience that SIX FEET UNDER needed BADLY. So he brought his audience with him. This is what made him a valuable commodity. Then he dropped six feet under and joined THE HAUNTED. By that point, he had world tour experience and was more than ready.

Now he can charge $2,000 per gear review (so I've heard) which is quite nice. Also he tours with a international band, and still does FEARED on the side. All from making gear review type vids on youtube. Not bad.

Not to mention he dropped his first endorsement deal with Strictly 7 and then got a better one evidently with Washburn, then dropped that after they made half a dozen versions of ola guitars, to start his own guitar company. It's impressive what he has managed to do, all from being a bedroom musician in Sweden.

Here are some of his own SOLAR guitars. Our very own KRIS DAHL owns one of these smile.gif

Attached Image
Krist Dahl on an OLA Solar

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 23 2018, 10:10 PM) *
Wise words! That's why there are many guitar youtubers and instagramers that are now starting to release their own albums. They built their audience online before realising their original music

One good example of what Ola is saying is Mateus Asato. He became popular thanks to instagram videos, so he started to do guitar gear videos, and some songs that are only shared at insta and youtube. Nowadays he is giving masterclasses all around the world and working on his first LP.

True smile.gif If you are releasing an album just for the joy of releasing an album, go for it!! If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, did it release an album?: Probably smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 23 2018, 04:09 AM) *
Yes - an album is a product.

If you do not have a plan on how to market / sell a product - there is no real point in producing the product.

Unless, of course - you enjoy doing it, just for fun smile.gif

True smile.gif It's almost like a biz card to give a way at shows to increase fan base etc. Charging for music is becoming more and more difficult as people consider it a free commodity despite what it costs to make.

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 23 2018, 04:41 AM) *
An almost worthless product even if successful biggrin.gif

I was thought back in the day an album realistically being a product but today I see it as part of a promotion tool. Its always about shows or merch. for whoever is famous today and will be forgotten a few years later (!)...

Online success is reality but I do advise local promotion, having a few copys of an album (cd) can be handy when used like a business card.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 24 2018, 07:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2018 - 01:14 AM