Changing Strings On Floyd Rose
ElHombre
Feb 1 2013, 12:35 AM
Learning Rock Star
Its been a while I did this.
I changed the strings one by one, now the floyd is pointing up and I dont know what I did wrong.

How do I do to fix it and how to avoid it in near future?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Feb 1 2013, 01:50 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jan 31 2013, 11:35 PM) *
Its been a while I did this.
I changed the strings one by one, now the floyd is pointing up and I dont know what I did wrong.

How do I do to fix it and how to avoid it in near future?

Are your string guages the same, your tuning. You are going to have to loosen the strings and tighten the screws in the back on the bracket where the springs mount, and then retune to see if it's level. Do this a little at a time until it is level again.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 1 2013, 05:02 AM
Chris is right, if you have put a lighter gauge string on then loosen the two large screws in the back cavity at the claw which will help level the Floyd out. it may take you a few times, but Floyd's aren't for the impatient that's for sure. Oh and make sure you have the locking nut loosened. You may even have to revisit that process a little later once the strings stretch out a bit.

OR... You could even take the Floyd and strings off while you are that far and talk Chris into letting you ship the guitar to him to paint you a bad ass graphic on. smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Feb 1 2013, 12:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Same gauge! I dont know how this happend.

Well I tuned the guitar u know, and starting over on the E string it turned into a E flat! and again and again.
I was like, what is this im going to sleep. And then I noticed that I had "tuned" the floyd rose into pointing maximum up!

So I guess i have to loosen the strings and mess with the springs at the back?

Also 3/6 strings buzz like hell... what can that be, misplacement at the bottom?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 1 2013, 02:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 1 2013, 08:44 AM) *

Well I tuned the guitar u know, and starting over on the E string it turned into a E flat! and again and again.
I was like, what is this im going to sleep. And then I noticed that I had "tuned" the floyd rose into pointing maximum up!

Also 3/6 strings buzz like hell... what can that be, misplacement at the bottom?

Same strings brand?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Feb 1 2013, 03:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 1 2013, 02:39 PM) *
Same strings brand?

nope, cant be, I know that affects too.
But I will probably work it out now

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Feb 1 2013, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 1 2013, 11:44 AM) *

I may have misunderstood you first post. I thought the back was sticking up higher than the front. If the back is sticking down too low you are going to have to loosen the springs like mroberts70 said. Also if the back is lower it could be messing with your action which is causing the buzz. Leveling it out should bring you action back and the buzz should go away. Readjusting if the back is low I think is also easier than starting with it too high. Just loosen the screws and springs a little bit at a time retuning as you go until it's level again. They are definitely something you need patience for. That's why I don't have any, any more. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 1 2013, 03:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Posting a video might help.

Then maybe we can see the problem.

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Feb 1 2013, 03:43 PM
Adjust the spring tension on the back. Floyd Rose's are such a pain, I've used them for years but I've finally decided to move on. I've got a custom Suhr on the way, and have decided to put a regular strat style trem on it, purely to save me the hassle!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Feb 2 2013, 03:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
So fixed it and set it up.
Now one question, does intonation affect the balance betweern tension and springs?

just want to know if i have some additional spring set up to do when after I intonate it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 2 2013, 04:23 PM
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 2 2013, 02:56 PM) *
Now one question, does intonation affect the balance betweern tension and springs?

just want to know if i have some additional spring set up to do when after I intonate it!

I'm new to floyd rose systems, but I've learned that fixing the intonation must always come after adjusting the springs, tuning and stretching your strings. And I don't think it affects the balance of the tension on the bridge

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 2 2013, 08:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 2 2013, 03:56 PM) *

intonation changes will through it out of tune , but on mine don't require changing spring tension

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 2 2013, 08:38 PM
Well you do have to de-tune the strings to intonate them, so you'll have to re tune them anyway, but before de-tuning the strings, I suggest you block the tremolo with something so that it stays flush with the body or at least near flush with the body

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Feb 2 2013, 08:39 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 2 2013, 08:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Feb 2 2013, 08:38 PM) *
Well you do have to de-tune the strings to intonate them, so you'll have to re tune them anyway, but before de-tuning the strings, I suggest you block the tremolo with something so that it stays flush with the body or at least near flush with the body
tune it first then adjust intonation one string at a time and you won't have to worry about blocking it because each time you tune the string you just intonated, it will reset the bridge to the right spot

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:56 PM