Improving A Begginer Tone
Mario87
Jun 14 2009, 02:29 PM
GMC:er
Hi everybody,

The last christmas, I got a Yamaha starter kit wich included a Strato copy called "EG 012" and a little 15W Yamaha Amp. This pack (200 €) seemed enough because I didnt know if playing guitar was something for me. Half a year later, my amp doesnt inspire me really... it sounds dirty, poor, boring... probably because I love to play with max gain and treble

Sometimes I hire with my friends a small studio with big marshalls, vox, etc. I just plug my cheapy guitar on them and its like "Wooahaa!". Extremely cool tone compared with the one I get in my house.

Im just a student, so I cant spend 1000$ on a good amp rigth now, and I was thinking about buying a Pocket POD or a POD XT. I also like the idea of "testing" a lot of differents amps and effects so I can get an idea of what I wanna buy in the future. I could plug the POD to my crappy amp (clean channel), or to my 5.1 PC speakers system. I could donwload some instructor's tones here and carry on the POD to the studio with my favourite customized tones! And record some songs would be great too.

There is something else (300 € max) I could do to get an inspiring tone in my house?
Its the POD something that suits to my gear and to my skill? (What the hell is a flanger or chorus? lol... I always love to learn that kind of stuff anyway)

Im a bit lost, any help is aprecciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 14 2009, 02:41 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well I'm no gear expert but I can tell you a few things.

First, the bad sound of your amp may well be down to the speakers, so if you are planning to buy a pod to use with a cheap amp, that may not sound a whole lot better. I would recommend a pod though if you were going to use it by itself with headphones, or with some good speakers. You did mention your 5.1 PC speakers system, and that could work, but I'm not entirely sure that PC speakers sound good with a guitar as I think I once tried it.

Something else the POD is good for, is it can give you an idea of what pedals, amps etc you might want to buy when you upgrade your gear in the future, as it emulates common amps, cabs, and pedals. One thing with the POD though, you may look at the vast list of amps and FX it has, but most probably you won't use most of them.

If I were you, I'd spend as much as you're prepared to on a decent amp, and unless you're playing gigs, try to keep it small as if you buy a big amp, you're just buying volume which you can't use.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Matt

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 14 2009, 02:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Starter kit amps suck, badly.

I suggest you find a good amp, if home practicing is what you'll be doing the Blackstar HT-5 is a great piece of equipment. You can even play with earplugs spite the fact it's a tube amp. The combo will be cheaper than head + cab.

Honor to POD and things like that but a real guitarist will need a real amp. POD comes second.

+Quote Post
Magnum
Jun 14 2009, 03:14 PM
Hi,

You should give this little AMP a try :

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2331100000

It's really a great amp for the money....

cool.gif

+Quote Post
Mario87
Jun 14 2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks all for your interesting and needed replys!

Yeah, I practice usually with headphones, so I guess I could get a decent sound from POD with that.

QUOTE (Magnum @ Jun 14 2009, 04:14 PM) *
You should give this little AMP a try

It looks like a nice amp Magnum, Ill think about it.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 14 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Honor to POD and things like that but a real guitarist will need a real amp. POD comes second.

Why is that? Its because of a simbolic or culture fact about guitar? or have it really objectives "pros" that I would missing with just the POD with headphones or PA speakers (for the future)? Anyway, I will not be doing gigs in the next two years probably.

If I buy a 300 euros Amp, I would loss tone of amps emulations, 60 effects and being able to record with USB compared to a POD

If I buy a POD, what features I would be missing instead compared to buying a 300 euros Amp?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 14 2009, 05:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
The thing is that pods are amp modeling and not actual amplification. It's emulating how a real amp would sound and react but that's all; modeling technology is getting better but it can NEVER beat the real deal.

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jun 14 2009, 05:40 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 14 2009, 05:51 PM
modeling amps are great fun!

heck, sometimes i get the urge to buy one just so i can have a billion effects and sounds at my disposal

but like zack said, it does not sound like the real deal.

if i was you, id try buying one of those new low watt less expensive tube amps like the ones vox is releasing. I might even buy one...(although i probably should save me money biggrin.gif)

with a 300 euro budget, you can get a 5 watt tube amp, and maybe have enough money for an overdrive, distortion, delay or other pedals of sounds you might wanna try (even a modeling amp pedal)

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:04 AM