Hufschmid 18th Anniversary Competition, Win a pair of Custom built pickups
Darius Wave
Jul 15 2014, 10:56 AM
Instructor
Hello fellows wink.gif

Me and Patrick have just launched a new competition. You can win a pair of handmade, Kent Armstrong pickups ( those really made in U.S.A by Kent himself - not the ones made by his son in England and not the Korean ones). All details in the video and it's description smile.gif

Pickups showcase here smile.gif

So....who is entering ? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Mith
Jul 15 2014, 11:18 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
nice sounding pups. I might have a crack at it if I get the chance but I'm sure there are many that will out do me .... Tho I could always do something whacky

this the same as the guys that make those picks out of all those crazy materials. Really gotta get around to trying those one day. Just seem strangely thick and over sized from the pictures but i'm sure they are different in real life

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 15 2014, 11:38 AM
Instructor
Yes that's the same guy smile.gif Go for it man! I mean it smile.gif You never know what kind of musical taste will the judges have smile.gif

Here's the competition backing track by the way wink.gif

http://soundcloud.com/dariuswave/hufschmid-18th-anniversary-competition-backingtrack

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Jul 15 2014, 11:54 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 15 2014, 12:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm not sure if I can manage something nice for the backing. If I not hear nothing in my head in the first 5 minutes it means that it's not an easy task biggrin.gif
Last year was much easy because the participants chose the backing and I made my take in few days tongue.gif
But listening carefully the backing I asked myself how do You think on this. Then a little light appeared in my mind smile.gif I will give You a tiny clue: structure- SD: SSL-52- Poulin - biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (I guess You get the idea wink.gif)
I will try something tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jul 15 2014, 12:05 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 15 2014, 02:48 PM
GMC:er
Tasty challenging progressive backing track biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 15 2014, 02:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 15 2014, 03:54 PM
Instructor
Monica - this time I cannot help You wink.gif

Mertay - Can I treat this as a participation promise ?biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 15 2014, 06:39 PM
ehhe let's just say I'm tempted for now biggrin.gif

Definitely not a backing track one can pull-off in a day or 2 to the point he/she is happy with the result (besides the competition factor).

I'll give it an easy day and just listen to see what plays in my head, but I think what makes it hard (and fun!) are the sections and how one can combine them with just melody.

By the way pickups look AWESOME! the cosmetic detail and engineering thought put in to them are stunning. You look pretty relaxed while playing them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 16 2014, 06:46 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 15 2014, 02:54 PM) *
Monica - this time I cannot help You wink.gif

I know that tongue.gif
Anyway I will stay away from contest. All day yesterday all I had in my head was: contest, contest, contest, contest biggrin.gif I lost all the night, thinking for an approach and finding the main idea (I found it) biggrin.gif Actually for first bars I have the most crazy and great idea that I ever had. But this distract my focus from our lesson and I can't let this to happen.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 16 2014, 08:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jul 16 2014, 05:46 AM) *
I know that tongue.gif
Anyway I will stay away from contest. All day yesterday all I had in my head was: contest, contest, contest, contest biggrin.gif I lost all the night, thinking for an approach and finding the main idea (I found it) biggrin.gif Actually for first bars I have the most crazy and great idea that I ever had. But this distract my focus from our lesson and I can't let this to happen.

Ha ha ha ! Monica! better get used to it! don't want to know how many opened projects I have at the same time. Distraction is something naturall in this business smile.gif That's because You can't predict how long the composing process will take smile.gif Music is not making a pie biggrin.gif

You cannot move things aside because of the lesson wink.gif You will learn all Your life so let's make some breaks for using some skills You got thanks to those lessons smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 16 2014, 11:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 16 2014, 07:45 AM) *
Ha ha ha ! Monica! better get used to it! don't want to know how many opened projects I have at the same time. Distraction is something naturall in this business smile.gif That's because You can't predict how long the composing process will take smile.gif Music is not making a pie biggrin.gif

You cannot move things aside because of the lesson wink.gif You will learn all Your life so let's make some breaks for using some skills You got thanks to those lessons smile.gif

Hahaha...You kidding... no acceptable breaks, not yet biggrin.gif
Remember You didn't wanted breaks when I wanted to make improv tongue.gif laugh.gif

I will try to get used with more things in the same time. I already work at many things and I have almost 2 improv done with all details from our work because I can't stop myself to improvise daily and I want to be sure that I can use all those details from lessons in my stuff (you know me) and our lesson "squeeze" me for any additional power biggrin.gif
I will think again and I will try to manage the time without any breaks from our work but it's not a promise. I will not fail a take just to done something wink.gif Anyway, next year will be another Hufschmid contest smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 16 2014, 01:28 PM
Instructor
No no....that's not exactly what I said about improv wink.gif Anyway....You should participate to get some new friends and share Your playing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Aug 7 2014, 03:17 AM
Hey Darius and fellow guitarists,

Here is a link to my entry

I'm a big boy and I can handle any criticism or compliments smile.gif

Pat

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 7 2014, 06:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Aug 7 2014, 02:17 AM) *

Pat

Awesome entry Patrick!!! I like all from your take: idea, tone, playing, everything sounds really great!!! smile.gif Best of luck!!!

The funny thing is that I'm almost ready with my take for the contest and our takes have something in common. Mostly at the beginning were I start in force and with the same "noise" biggrin.gif
Also your descending run it's in the same place with my ascending run biggrin.gif Overall my idea has the same scheme but with others notes and of course with a bad playing laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 7 2014, 08:19 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Aug 7 2014, 03:17 AM) *

Pat

a tasty solo from the P-Dawg smile.gif very cool indeed matey. good luck with the comp.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2014, 06:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Aug 7 2014, 02:17 AM) *

Pat

Hey Pat wink.gif I already sent you a PM on this one - but I will also say it here - nice lines and solid playing, although the vibrato and bending need a bit more focus as you are still using your fingers more than your wrist smile.gif Slowly but surely, you can overpass this issue and bring your articulation techniques up to the level of the others you are using. Let me know what your thoughts are after reading the PM wink.gif

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Aug 7 2014, 11:50 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 7 2014, 05:54 AM) *
Awesome entry Patrick!!! I like all from your take: idea, tone, playing, everything sounds really great!!! smile.gif Best of luck!!!

The funny thing is that I'm almost ready with my take for the contest and our takes have something in common. Mostly at the beginning were I start in force and with the same "noise" biggrin.gif
Also your descending run it's in the same place with my ascending run biggrin.gif Overall my idea has the same scheme but with others notes and of course with a bad playing laugh.gif

Thanks Monica, I look forward to hearing your solo. I don't think there will be any bad playing from you.

QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 7 2014, 07:19 AM) *
a tasty solo from the P-Dawg smile.gif very cool indeed matey. good luck with the comp.

Hey Bleez, thanks man. Rock on cool.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 7 2014, 05:02 PM) *
Hey Pat wink.gif I already sent you a PM on this one - but I will also say it here - nice lines and solid playing, although the vibrato and bending need a bit more focus as you are still using your fingers more than your wrist smile.gif Slowly but surely, you can overpass this issue and bring your articulation techniques up to the level of the others you are using. Let me know what your thoughts are after reading the PM wink.gif

Hey Cosmin,
Thank you for taking the time to analyse and respond with the PM. I've been trying to change my technique but I'm struggling a bit with trying to use the wrist. I really wish that I would have had a teacher all those years ago rather than just teaching myself. I will continue to work with the video links that you sent me.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 8 2014, 07:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Aug 7 2014, 10:50 PM) *
Hey Cosmin,
Thank you for taking the time to analyse and respond with the PM. I've been trying to change my technique but I'm struggling a bit with trying to use the wrist. I really wish that I would have had a teacher all those years ago rather than just teaching myself. I will continue to work with the video links that you sent me.

Howdy Pat!

Please keep me updated on your progress as I would like to help out, if it's ok with you as well and please send me a PM if you have questions about the recommendations I have sent!

+Quote Post
enlo22
Aug 15 2014, 07:18 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Darius you should make a lesson on the backing track or something. some chords in there sound really cool! i kinda want to get more into this type of metal sounds really nice

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 15 2014, 12:03 PM
Instructor
Nice to see sucha cool acitivity here smile.gif Competition is still opened smile.gif As for the backing track - it's more rock than metal smile.gif That's what comes when You listen a lot to Disturbed, Korn, Deftones, P.O.D etc... some of those where called nu-metal...but for me it always been...a kind of hard rock smile.gif This form of backing track is like...."Sit and play the most abused stuff ever to make the track nice and friendly for players at very wide range of skills" smile.gif That's how I see it. No matter how much we can complicate our compositions,,,for most poeple it will still be the best to keep things simple...and use something that has been used many times smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2014, 06:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 15 2014, 11:03 AM) *
Nice to see sucha cool acitivity here smile.gif Competition is still opened smile.gif As for the backing track - it's more rock than metal smile.gif That's what comes when You listen a lot to Disturbed, Korn, Deftones, P.O.D etc... some of those where called nu-metal...but for me it always been...a kind of hard rock smile.gif This form of backing track is like...."Sit and play the most abused stuff ever to make the track nice and friendly for players at very wide range of skills" smile.gif That's how I see it. No matter how much we can complicate our compositions,,,for most poeple it will still be the best to keep things simple...and use something that has been used many times smile.gif

I'm with Darius on this one smile.gif Why not simply go for what the ears tell you? Usually, getting lost into all the styles and denominations, will make take your mind away from the most important things:

- building a structured solo
- making it musical and catchy
- making it personal

I would start with these things in mind and see what's what from that point on wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:53 PM