2 Pages V  < 1 2  
These People Give Gamers A Bad Name
The Uncreator
Feb 16 2008, 03:39 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I was born a gamer, I always will love games, but i can look at the clock and say, "Wow, ive almost been on here for 2-3 hours, Ill stop for today, I have to do homework, and then shred cool.gif "

Moderation flies completely over these guys head, I mean he chose a video game over his wife! dry.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 16 2008, 05:03 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Feb 16 2008, 03:52 AM) *
I played wow for like 12+ hours each day for a year or something, not because I was addicted, but because it was fun. Then, when I got bored with it, I just stopped playing. I think there might be some other reasons that they only play a game and not do anything else than addiction, it can work as somewhere to hide from "real" life, etc. I mean, you don't end up getting addicted to a game if everything else in your life is super, remember that.

Good point there

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 16 2008, 06:42 AM) *
There's a thread on a WOW forum somewhere saying "Yeah, these guitarists are addicted ... problem is you can never finish learning guitar it takes forever, its like a drug. I had a WOW buddy, we used to play together a lot. Since he got his guitar a year ago, I never heard from him"

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (at lights end @ Feb 16 2008, 07:10 AM) *
sad.gif i feel so sorry for her...

I feel more sorry for the dude.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 16 2008, 05:41 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 16 2008, 10:03 AM) *
I feel more sorry for the dude.

I don't feel sorry for him at all dry.gif Choosing a video game over his wife?- pathetic.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 16 2008, 05:44 PM
Get to da Chopper!
hmmm another thing to worry about is forum addiction unsure.gif

who keeps GMC constantly on in the background and constantly check for updats while working?

i think that can be me sometimes sad.gif - wouldnt go as far as saying its an addiction for me- but many suffer for it.

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 16 2008, 05:50 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Feb 16 2008, 08:44 AM) *
hmmm another thing to worry about is forum addiction unsure.gif

who keeps GMC constantly on in the background and constantly check for updats while working?

i think that can be me sometimes sad.gif - wouldnt go as far as saying its an addiction for me- but many suffer for it.

I'll be honest, I've been on here like 5 hours today... sad.gif

When my exams come I think I'll be talking with Kris to see if he can ban me for a few weeks so I cant get on at all tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 16 2008, 05:52 PM
I have had days where I've stayed on for like 3 hours, but that's not normally the case.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 16 2008, 06:29 PM
A bartender at a local pub says her husband is terribly addicted to WoW . Highest level, played for years and still doenst get sick of it . I was talking to her about it and she said " I love him so much that I ran the game over with my car, he reacted by going out and buying another one"

Couples these days wub.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 16 2008, 07:34 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 16 2008, 10:41 AM) *
I don't feel sorry for him at all dry.gif Choosing a video game over his wife?- pathetic.

You just stated the reason to feel sorry for him... huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joey van den bos...
Feb 16 2008, 07:54 PM
I play WoW myself aswell, but just when I realy have absolutely nothing else to do. In comparison to the hours I play guitar/do more importand stuff would prob. be around a 1:60 ratio, But I suppose that few hours won't get you into the super high-endgame stuff, but.. I couldnt care less. And by the way,, regarding addiction, any kind, its realy relative to the users, some people end up getting used by the game, and others just use the game like anyother thing in life.

--------------------
I ain't crazy,, I'm an Aeroplane!!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 16 2008, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 16 2008, 12:34 PM) *
You just stated the reason to feel sorry for him... huh.gif

I'm just saying that I really feel sorry for his ex-wife, and not for him, because he was such a douche and dumped her over a video game. Why should I feel sorry for him? He's probably just sitting at home right now, playing WoW. Just my oppinion anyways. wink.gif

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 16 2008, 08:02 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 16 2008, 12:58 PM) *
I'm just saying that I really feel sorry for his ex-wife, and not for him, because he was such a douche and dumped her over a video game. Why should I feel sorry for him? He's probably just sitting at home right now, playing WoW. Just my oppinion anyways. wink.gif

yeah, but look at it this way, his wife can find another person, and this dude... its not very likely, if he keeps like this. And yeah, he must be sitting right now playing laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 16 2008, 08:06 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 16 2008, 01:02 PM) *
yeah, but look at it this way, his wife can find another person, and this dude... its not very likely, if he keeps like this. And yeah, he must be sitting right now playing laugh.gif

Yeah, that is true...but I still don't feel sorry for him tongue.gif Now it would be different if he just couldn't get anybody, and if he wasn't obsessed with games. He's brought it on himself though laugh.gif

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Feb 16 2008, 09:50 PM
RPG's are designed to be addicting.. they are for people who are not content with their own life.. i mean.. whats more fun..

Scenario 1: Real Life- Wake up 6am, tired,, make coffee.. go to work.. work a 9-5.. come home.. deal with kids.. spend time with wife.. eat.. do dishes.. repeat... A boring nobody life.

Scenario 2: RPG - Appear.. join with raiding party and raid a village.. kill everyone.. no survivors.. have epic duels.. Gain experience which shows the world ur better than alot of them.. Get new threads without spending any money.. look wicked cool comapred to real people... makes you seem amazing...

Even though we are still talking real life vs a virtual life.. the virtual 1 can sometimes seem real to the beholder... if anyone wants to get into a epic discussion about quantum theories and alternate universes/ Virtual Relality theories of existance.. im down and time smile.gif... But this is the reason games are addicting.. People have more fun in their virtual life than there real 1. I had a hard time getting over Runescape a while ago just because when you get good.. people notice.. and its easier to get good then getting good at playing guitar.. When newer players would be like WOOAHH your lvl 50 thats amazing! it would just inspire you to play more.. Bf2 was another game i got addicted to.. just the idea of.. 20 more kills in a round and i get a new award! Now ive gotten myself unhooked from all games but i still sometimes play halo 3 online with friends.. just because it kills time and its fun.. doing things like video games as a group with friends for a few hours in some boring evening is never a bad thing ( example Rock band or Guitar Hero)

just my 2 cents smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Canis
Feb 16 2008, 11:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've played WoW on and off for about two/three years. At first I played a lot of hours every day for about 6 months, but got bored after that. Now I play for about a month, then take a month or two off, then play a month again. No raiding though, since personally, I really see no meaning or purpose with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 17 2008, 12:23 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Feb 16 2008, 02:50 PM) *
RPG's are designed to be addicting.. they are for people who are not content with their own life.. i mean.. whats more fun..

Scenario 1: Real Life- Wake up 6am, tired,, make coffee.. go to work.. work a 9-5.. come home.. deal with kids.. spend time with wife.. eat.. do dishes.. repeat... A boring nobody life.

Scenario 2: RPG - Appear.. join with raiding party and raid a village.. kill everyone.. no survivors.. have epic duels.. Gain experience which shows the world ur better than alot of them.. Get new threads without spending any money.. look wicked cool comapred to real people... makes you seem amazing...

Even though we are still talking real life vs a virtual life.. the virtual 1 can sometimes seem real to the beholder... if anyone wants to get into a epic discussion about quantum theories and alternate universes/ Virtual Relality theories of existance.. im down and time smile.gif... But this is the reason games are addicting.. People have more fun in their virtual life than there real 1. I had a hard time getting over Runescape a while ago just because when you get good.. people notice.. and its easier to get good then getting good at playing guitar.. When newer players would be like WOOAHH your lvl 50 thats amazing! it would just inspire you to play more.. Bf2 was another game i got addicted to.. just the idea of.. 20 more kills in a round and i get a new award! Now ive gotten myself unhooked from all games but i still sometimes play halo 3 online with friends.. just because it kills time and its fun.. doing things like video games as a group with friends for a few hours in some boring evening is never a bad thing ( example Rock band or Guitar Hero)

just my 2 cents smile.gif

Agreed. I also used to play Runescape, but i figured i wasnt doing anything productive with my life and i used to spent almost all day everyday on it. So thats why i grabbed my guitar. I am now in chase of my dream smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 17 2008, 03:03 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Feb 16 2008, 12:50 PM) *
RPG's are designed to be addicting.. they are for people who are not content with their own life

Thats a pretty broad generalization, I love RPG's and im thrilled with my life, its never been better. Some people (Like Me) play RPG's to just be entertained and experience an amazing story. Im quite content with my life, and im playing RPG's even now smile.gif

EDIT

I have to find it, but statistically people who play games like Final Fantasy and other RPG's, they are usually more adept to learn quicker (I noticed MMORPG'S were excluded from this article laugh.gif ). And RPg's (once again, not MMORPG's) help people who suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). I thought that was cool.

But even though single player RPG's like Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, Breath Of Fire, Legend Of The Dragoon, Mass Effect have elements that require more in depth thinking than online based games like WOW, They are still for some reason thought of as just as destructive, But people forget one thing, These games actually end! laugh.gif

EDIT 2

Oh man, did i misread what you said, were you talking just about Online RPG's, if so sorry if i sounded to offensive sad.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Feb 17 2008, 03:08 AM

+Quote Post
soulstone
Feb 20 2008, 01:40 AM
i played wow the first day it was released until december last year, i won't deny buying virtual gold online and game accounts when work kept me busy from making my ultimate character. i was once the first lvl 60 (was max lvl that time) on the first rp-pvp server, played mainly on three servers and once belonged to a top raiding guild. those achievements were not enough for me, i even bought an account with thunderfury (used to be the best sword in the game) for $1.2k, and a naxxramas (used to be the toughest instance) equipped rogue for $800. the game is really good that time its so much fun until you realize that everything is a major time sink. it became a job and not a game - the honor points, attunements, arena ratings, tradeskills, guild progression, etc. etc. it was no longer fun and i had to quit, so much time is wasted - it may be fun at first but it's better to look for fun elsewhere. there's no way of taking back those hours that you put into the game. i have 5 inactive accounts for almost 2 months now, i hope to keep it that way.

+Quote Post
glazmusik
Feb 20 2008, 04:16 AM
That is really just sad.

I love video games - though I've never played WoW. I have friends that are like that sad.gif

Still, I'm not going to blame the game. It's the damn person's fault for spending SO much time on it. I mean, if you don't have enough control to get up and spend time with your wife who you've been friends with since you were 13, there is something wrong there.

EDIT

Oh, but yeah, I totally agree: pick up a guitar and put those hours into something useful smile.gif

This post has been edited by glazmusik: Feb 20 2008, 04:18 AM

--------------------
"Nothing in this world worth having comes easily."

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 20 2008, 10:52 PM
I've never wanted to play WoW its never seemed like the sort of game that would appeal to me. Anyway i wouldn't want to get hooked on a game again, yes again.

Don't get a head of me i would never choose a game over anybody, a girlfriend if i had one, my family not even my friends. But i was quite into Counter-Strike a while ago. I agree with what's been said about people noticing that you're good. When i first started playing it i'd come home from school and i'd play it for hours. Then i discovered things called clans and clan wars and then eventually leagues and ladder. well at first i was not good enough for that, but over time i became better and joined a very good clan that got quite far and were well known in the CS UK scene. But anyway i eventually stopped playing and guitar took over. It was only really because i had nothing else to do. But this is ridiculous how can someone let their wife walk out on them because of some silly little game? :/.

I don't like the idea of a never ending RPG. Obviously CS is a never ending game but that's a different sort of game it's FPS. Give me Final Fantasy anyday i love those games but they have great stories to them and stuff but i don't like the sound of one that never ends. I'd have no problem with a long one, just as long as the story was good all the way through smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:39 PM