Greetings From New Jersey
skidmark
Mar 3 2007, 07:37 AM
GMC:er
Hey all, My name is Mark, been playing guitar on and off for 28 years. I picked up the guitar again after not touching one for a couple of years. It's funny, after not playing it for so long, it's like "where did all my timing go?" biggrin.gif And after an hour of playing with no calluses yet, your fingers feel like raw meat. blink.gif But that was last week, and now that I'm up to speed, I realize that I'm going to wind up playing the same old stuff with the same old problems. That's why I'm here. After surfing the net looking for answers, I found this site and got a HUGE revelation from Kris as to what's wrong with my playing. I don't do any alternate picking; it's all economy picking ( I remember it being called "slip picking" way back when). While it's great for full speed, anything less than full speed gets very sloppy. I always wondered why I can't play cleanly when going slow, it's the dreaded economy picking! A couple hours of alt picking and my timing increased dramatically. So now , like Kris, I have to undo years of playing like that, and it's gonna take a while. Another problem I have is that I get too much unwanted noise when playing, strings that I can't seem to mute. But..... it went away when I started
ALTERNATE PICKING!!! Alternate picking - 2 Economy picking - 0 tongue.gif

Looking forward to becoming a better player!

Oh, I read that a few guys pulled their SGs out of the closet,
so I pulled mine out and... uh oh Termites!Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 3 2007, 04:04 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi Skidmark and welcome! There are plenty of us older guys here trying to break the bad habits of a lifetime - its never too late to improve, and take it to the next level. After a month here I'm playing better than I ever have - still a long way to go to catch up with Kris and Pavel, but they are in my sights smile.gif

The SG looks like a long-term project sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Mar 3 2007, 04:04 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Mar 4 2007, 07:13 AM
Yep Andrew and I have be singing, playing the same tune and like him I see that it is working. Just work hard and it will pay off,
You might need a tad more than strings on your ax there.

Work hard sad.gif

Be Determined mad.gif

get better rolleyes.gif

have fun biggrin.gif

shred hopefully soon cool.gif

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
yell03
Mar 5 2007, 01:13 AM
Welcome aboard!

I also have been playing on and off for 30 years.

Learning how to shred is seriously helping my playing.

Even if I don't get it 100%, it has helped my speed, timing, and note selection when improvising.

I have actually had people walk by and say WOW! smile.gif

I also have LOTS of bad habits to break tongue.gif

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
edgor67
Mar 5 2007, 02:09 AM
Mark,

I grew up in SUSSEX County via Queens, NY. I have observed there are a bunch of us who are coming out of a guitar coma. Kind of like a SCI FI story. All these middle aged shredders are going to be on the scene in a year or two and be freeking the establishment out. Just look what Kris is creating. We'll all drive or fly Saabs! ROCK ON my brother.

+Quote Post
skidmark
Mar 5 2007, 05:59 AM
Hey thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

+Quote Post
yell03
Mar 5 2007, 12:37 PM
No Saabs here.... laugh.gif

Only Stangs or Vettes (great mid-life crisis cars), they are my weapons of choice at ATCO or E-town in good ol' NJ!

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:17 PM