3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Ybritt's Bootcamp, Earn it and Burn it!!!
Ybritt
Sep 18 2019, 12:22 PM
GMC:er
Hi Sarge!

Ready for the first debrief on M#5.
To give myself some feedback when listening to the take I can maybe be a little softer on the string picking, I don’t know what you think? I try to work on this but sometimes I forget myself.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2019, 08:29 PM
Soldier you got this lick down, I notice that on the first lead in it takes a moment for you to lock step to the metronome, but that's ok. The point is you can play this and play it well. It's a "Stepping Stone" lick. It leads to many other licks that will follow which incorporate "PEDAL POINT" (Neo Classical) technique, as well as muted alternate picking which is the key to getting a "shreddy" sound. let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*ALTERNATE PICKING: Alternate picking is a tricky thing and you do a fine job of keeping it nice and TOIGHT!!!

*PACE:It's tempting to rush or lag these bits based on which sections feel easier or harder. You play very evenly which is what I like to see.

*ARTICULATION: You are not picking from the elbow which is great. It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habbit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well. I would suggest trying to reduce the overall range of pick motion just to keep things as minimal as possible which reduces the amount of time required to make the next pick strike.
You ticked every box I was looking for on this one. you just......

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

It's great to see you back in the fight Soldier!!!!!! keep it up!!! Try to incorporate all of these licks in to your soloing and your warm ups. Even if you just play each one once a day, over time it builds and you will have a huge lick library to pick from! Sometimes, players just play the Mission and forget the lick. Which doesn't help them that much as they forget the mechanics of the lick if they don't play it. It's "use it or lose it" So use it Soldier!! I see serious potential in your playing!
Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Sep 18 2019, 07:22 AM) *
Hi Sarge!

Ready for the first debrief on M#5.
To give myself some feedback when listening to the take I can maybe be a little softer on the string picking, I don’t know what you think? I try to work on this but sometimes I forget myself.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 18 2019, 09:41 PM

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Sep 18 2019, 09:17 PM
Sarge! Thanks for the feedback - and for believing in my playing. It means a lot. Especially when I, every now and then, feel that progress I weak and that I’m not able to practice as much as I want to.

Even though I levelled up, I noticed that what I thought was mission #5 actually is mission #6, and that I skipped the real #5! Not good! I will go back and complete my duty Sarge, rest assure!

Ybritt

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 18 2019, 07:29 PM) *
Soldier you got this lick down, I notice that on the first lead in it takes a moment for you to lock step to the metronome, but that's ok. The point is you can play this and play it well. It's a "Stepping Stone" lick. It leads to many other licks that will follow which incorporate "PEDAL POINT" (Neo Classical) technique, as well as muted alternate picking which is the key to getting a "shreddy" sound. let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: String Traverse is a tricky thing. It's easy to stumble on it. You play it clean and confident. Well done!!

*PACE:It's tempting to rush or lag these bits based on which sections feel easier or harder. You play very evenly which is what I like to see.

*ARTICULATION: You are not picking from the elbow which is great. It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habbit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well. I would suggest trying to reduce the overall range of pick motion just to keep things as minimal as possible which reduces the amount of time required to make the next pick strike.

You ticked every box I was looking for on this one. you just......

LEVELED UP!!!
[attachment=49143:5.jpg]

It's great to see you back in the fight Soldier!!!!!! keep it up!!! Try to incorporate all of these licks in to your soloing and your warm ups. Even if you just play each one once a day, over time it builds and you will have a huge lick library to pick from! Sometimes, players just play the Mission and forget the lick. Which doesn't help them that much as they forget the mechanics of the lick if they don't play it. It's "use it or lose it" So use it Soldier!! I see serious potential in your playing!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2019, 09:39 PM
Yup! I just noticed it as well. Just do the other one for next time smile.gif Your playing is getting more confident with each vid. Keep going!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Sep 18 2019, 04:17 PM) *
Sarge! Thanks for the feedback - and for believing in my playing. It means a lot. Especially when I, every now and then, feel that progress I weak and that I’m not able to practice as much as I want to.

Even though I levelled up, I noticed that what I thought was mission #5 actually is mission #6, and that I skipped the real #5! Not good! I will go back and complete my duty Sarge, rest assure!

Ybritt

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Oct 22 2019, 09:10 PM
Finally, here are the videos of the real number 5. Long time since last time but I have been practicing. Let me know your thoughts, Sarge.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 23 2019, 04:39 AM
Well Fought Soldier! I can tell you are pushing the edge of where you can still catch the metronome but you are keeping pace! Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: String Traverse is a tricky thing. It's easy to stumble on it. You play it clean and confident. Well done!!
*ARTICULATION: It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habbit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well. I would suggest trying to reduce the overall range of pick motion just to keep things as minimal as possible which reduces the amount of time required to make the next pick strike.

You killed this one, you just......

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

[color=#FF0000][/color]Todd
QUOTE (Ybritt @ Oct 22 2019, 04:10 PM) *
Finally, here are the videos of the real number 5. Long time since last time but I have been practicing. Let me know your thoughts, Sarge.

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jan 17 2020, 10:49 AM
Happy new year Sarge!
It’s been a while, I know, but here I am, ready to continue my journey with a newly recorded take of Mission #7.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2020, 04:35 PM
WELCOME BACK!!!

THIS IS GREAT PLAYING!!!! I'm truly impressed. It's spot on, you are going to badge up on this for sure! But where is MISSSION 6? Did I miss it? Forgive me if I did.

Sarge
QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jan 17 2020, 05:49 AM) *
Happy new year Sarge!
It’s been a while, I know, but here I am, ready to continue my journey with a newly recorded take of Mission #7.

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jan 17 2020, 05:01 PM
Thanks Sarge!
Regarding mission 6 I think that it was the one I first posted as mission 5 (see post 21). Here it is again anyway

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 17 2020, 03:35 PM) *
WELCOME BACK!!!

THIS IS GREAT PLAYING!!!! I'm truly impressed. It's spot on, you are going to badge up on this for sure! But where is MISSSION 6? Did I miss it? Forgive me if I did.

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2020, 07:51 PM
Looking back at Mission 5 (Actually Mission 6 Pedal Point) Just noticed you are playing 3 notes in between the pedal tone instead of 2 on lesson 6 but honestly it's really not that important. The importan thing is to keep is nice and steady which you did so SCORE!@ Settled. Now let's move on to Mission 7!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
ALTERNATE PICKING MADNESS - Alternate Picking is the core of these drills. If your alt picking is weak, this will show it. Good news is your alt picking is quite strong. Nice!!

TRAVERSE IN STYLE - In addition to Alternate picking, this requires nearly non stop string traverse. Each time you switch strings, you risk missing the strike, or catching the pick on the string and missing a beat. Not you!! Licked it!

SILENT AS DEATH - Palm muting is always critical. Any gaps in the mute and string noise raises it's ugly head. Not here!! Quiet as a mouse!!
Score!!!!!
In other words you just ..
LEVELED UP!!!

Welcome back to the fight Soldier! I'm thrilled to have you back!!
Attached Image

Guitar Pro 5 File for Quick Licks 7Attached File  Mission_7fix.gp5 ( 2.29K ) Number of downloads: 68

Pic of SameAttached Image

Just for reference. I've created a new GUITAR PRO 5 file and pic of said file for reference. I was not using guitar pro at the time so I'm recreating all these in guitar pro so folks can open them. Any version of guitar pro 4 or better should be able to open these.

Sarge

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 18 2020, 04:49 AM

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jan 31 2020, 05:38 PM
Hi!

Time for Mission #8. I give you quite a long take. Some minor mistakes but you’ll be the judge if I pass or fail. 😊

Have a great weekend!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 31 2020, 10:29 PM
Well Fought Soldier! I'll use the take toward the middle as it seemed the most clean. I appreciate you pushing the speed on the last take. There is always a value in pushing to the edge. Even if there are some mistakes, it's the only way to push to a new level. It's in that spot where we are not quite sure if our fingers can keep up that we often make progress. let's use the middle version for our debrief. The first couple have a few issues but they can count as warmups. I'm impressed with your endurance as this is a non stop drill and you play it for quite a while!
let's Debrief!!1
MEDALS OF HONOR

TRAVERSE OF KINGS You may have noticed that these licks have a LOT of string traverse. This is a foundational skill that requires practice. We start with just a couple of strings to traverse. Eventually we will traverse every single string and back at speed. By then, you will be well prepped for such things. Good job on traverse here! It never lets up and you keep it steady.

SOLID PACING
Any looping lick like these is about pacing. It's really just bait to get your hand to let itself drift on pace. You hand stays on pace. Nice!

ALT PICKING FROM HELL Pretty much non stop alternate picking. This is a "shred lick" so it's a good one to work up speed on. You can try it in bursts or keep steady on. You are well on your way Soldier!!
This is a great hand drill. Good for warm up, good for building speed. Works on any fret/string. Put it in your warm up and run it a few times each session. You will noticed speed just starts to happen.
You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jan 31 2020, 12:38 PM) *
Hi!

Time for Mission #8. I give you quite a long take. Some minor mistakes but you’ll be the judge if I pass or fail. 😊

Have a great weekend!

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Mar 5 2020, 10:44 AM
Greetings!

Back again after a minor absence. Mission #9 ready for review.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 5 2020, 08:43 PM
It's great to see you back Soldier!! It looks like you haven't lost a step which is great. I can see the practice in your playing and it's good to see this kind of precision along with a strong mute technique and solid hand synch. This drill is a good warmup to get your hands moving. Keep it in your bag of tricks!

Let's Debrief!!

SNIPER The first thing I'm looking for is SNIPER level precision. No missed notes, no rushing or laggin. You've clearly had sniper training!! It's good to see! Never hitting the wrong strike, always making a clean hit. keep that up!!
CONSISTENCY Secondly, as this is a loop, I'm looking at your consistency. Can you repeat a lick and not drop the ball at some point. This is the most important thing you can do and your doing it well. Being able to play with consistent pace, strikes, hand synch, is crucial. SCORE!!
MUTE TO KILL Lastly I need to see a good mute. Without a solid mute, string noise is a real problem. A good mute is one that covers the entire bridge so that you dont have to lean on the left hand for muting strings. This way you can play open string licks and wads of other things without worrying about string noise. Nice!!

You are clearly ready for the harder Missions Soldier. BTW NICE IBBY!!!!!!! Love seeing that thing in action.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Mar 5 2020, 05:44 AM) *
Greetings!

Back again after a minor absence. Mission #9 ready for review.

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Apr 4 2020, 11:44 PM
Sarge!
I do hope that you are OK during these hard times.
Here are two versions of Mission #10. I am not too happy with them but the will do. This lesson was the hardest so far.
Ybritt

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 5 2020, 06:23 AM
Well fought Soldier! I was about to send you back to the woodshed after watching the first vid but you redeemed yourself on the second vid. This is my favorite scale inversion. So I thought, hey! Let's run it up the neck just to make it crazy hard to play!!!! smile.gif I"ve recently found myself moving to florida in the middle of all the crazy virus stuff. They closed the state the same day and put sheriffs on the road to stop northerners. It's a bit nuts. I hope you and yours stay well and safe!!

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*SYNCH OR SWIM: First up I wanna see tight hand synch! Your second vid has very good synch and it's tight with the beat. Bingo!!

*MUTE OR DIE: Secondly I wanna see good palm mute! Otherwise string noise will be just insane. You keep a very solid mute the whole time!

*AGGRESSIVE STYLE:
This is meant to be hard. It's a road block that has to be pushed through with pure hostile intent. Well done!!

In short you KRUSHED IT!!! Onward!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Apr 4 2020, 06:44 PM) *
Sarge!
I do hope that you are OK during these hard times.
Here are two versions of Mission #10. I am not too happy with them but the will do. This lesson was the hardest so far.
Ybritt

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jun 5 2020, 04:25 PM
Finally I got my act together and recorded Mission #11. But I have not been inactive since the last post. Anyway it feel good to be back in the trenches.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2020, 05:49 AM
Welcome back Soldier!! I see you have not lost your touch!!!! This is a great looping drill that works well as a warm up or cool down. It works well pretty much anywhere on the neck that you want to give your fingers some time to get used to the fret board. Start it up past the 12th fret to get used to tight spaces. Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

LOOPY: You may notice that I have you play licks often in a "Loop". This is so that you focus on the lick itself. Also, it allows me to see your playing over a distance of ground. If you rush/lag, it will stand out. So I'm giving you plenty of rope to hang yourself with! The good news is you never waver. Always stead on and clean. Nice!

NON STOP TRAVERSE: As with a few others, this lick traverses strings and frets non stop. Partially to build endurance, partially to get your hands accustomed to playing long sequences of notes. Building endurance is key and being able to play at the same pace for long periods is a big part of being able to play extended scale runs in a controlled manner.

ARTICULATION: You are doing a very good job of articulating the pick and NOT picking from the elbow! it does however look like you may be going a bit deeper on each strike, past the plane of the strings, than you need to. Learning how to pick in a shallow manner is crucial to being able to shred. On the next mission, see how shallow you can make your strikes and still have them work.

You've clearly got this one sorted, you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jun 5 2020, 11:25 AM) *
Finally I got my act together and recorded Mission #11. But I have not been inactive since the last post. Anyway it feel good to be back in the trenches.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2020, 09:03 PM
It's great to see you back in the fight!!! I love that IBBY!! It's a treat to see it in action. I think you are more than ready for the next few lessons. I can't wait to see them!!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jul 1 2020, 01:06 PM
So here is M#12.
Can’t wait to hear your feedback in this one. I found it kind of hard to play this slowly so I hope I’m not doing it sloppy. Also I was uncertain on whether to use the metronome or not, finally I decided not to. Let me know if I should.
Brand new strings on the Ibby as well 😊
Cheers!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:51 AM