Problems with practicing.
The_Highlander
Jul 1 2006, 11:48 AM
GMC:er
Which is the best way to practice? Is it to learn new songs and play along with them(which is pretty hard some times) or should i stick to these masterclass lessons. The reason why I ask this is because my older brother thinks I have problems with my rhythm playing and that I shouldn`t play these masterclass lessons because it´s to early for me to play this kind of stuff. Unfortunatley he is discouariging me when saying so which is making me less motivated. Does anyone have any suggestion on what I should do?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 1 2006, 03:46 PM
GMC Founder
Welcome to GMC The_highlander!

This is a very motivated question - I have confronted the exact same problems many times.

When I started practcing seriously I went in 100 % for the solo stuff. This resulted in the fact that I became very strong at soloing - while my rhtyhm knowledge was strongly lacking.

Was this wrong? No, for me it was just perfect. If I had forced myself to play some rhythm stuff which [at the time]didn't interest me, I would have lost motivation emmidately. I caught up with the rhythm stuff later on - and so can you. Just make sure you practice with a metronome.

What you should do: Have your brothers comments in mind but don't let it bother you to much right now. Continue playing the stuff which interests you - within time there will be plenty of room to practice other stuff. The important thing is to stay motivated! If he continues to discourage you, you can tell him to p**s off from me (swe: be honom att dra!). :mad :!:

good luck smile.gif

Kris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
lespaulkevin
Jul 1 2006, 04:05 PM
just like kris said, great motivation same thing happened with me. My brother tried to play guitar and he couldn't and he always ragged on how hard it was and how i sucked. I gave it some intense practicing and now he wants me to play at his graduation party laugh.gif

+Quote Post
sanders4617
Jul 1 2006, 07:59 PM
I don't think it will matter too much right now.. but IMO, it IS important to learn rhythm. For me, I started off learning a little of both at the same time. My dad pounded that in my head.. that I needed to know chords and stuff first.. and that when he picks, he picks out of those chord shapes all over the neck.. and I guess that is why he was strong on learning the chords and stuff.

Whatever you like.. play.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lezenko
Jul 8 2006, 01:37 PM
I think the best way, is to to try different practice methods and see which one you feel improves you the most for example

When i first started i was more concerned about playing other peoples songs and not really concentrating on scales, alternate picking and making my own songs and stuff

I think scales are most likely teh best because apart from learning theory, they build your fingers up for speed and also strenth without the worry of messing up

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 24 2011, 01:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
I just thought it would be fun for people to see just how far GMC has come and just how it stays th same

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 24 2011, 08:34 AM
When you listen to music there is an underlining pulse we call the beat. It's what you naturally tap to.

However, when playing music, lots of people are focusing on the next note rather than timing it and keeping both hands in sync.

Say the music is in 4/4 times, slow it down for starting off and count out loud, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Work along side a metronome and tapping your foot can help. Wait till your got the timing down before you play.

You can start by just practicing notes on one string and then moving to power chords.

Whole note - hold this for all 4 beats. (count as 1 . . . )
Half notes - hold for 2 beats. (count as 1 . 3 . )
Quarter note - 1 beat. (count as 1, 2, 3, 4)
Eighth notes - two per beat (count as 1 eh, 2 eh, 3 eh, 4 eh)
Sixteenth notes - four per beat (count as 1 eh an ah, 2 eh an ah, 3 eh an ah, 4 eh an ah)

Quietly count inbetween.

The 'eh an ah' (after the number count spoken) is for good timing, just don't rush the count or get inbetween. When the speed gets up, your'll still count but probably remove the inbetween 'eh an ah' as the timing will still match after practice.

You can loop practice with anything you like, here's a basic example (with half, quarter and whole notes):

E ------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
B ------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
G ------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
D ------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
A --2----~------2----2--|--5-----------7--------|--2----2------2----2--|--5----7-----------5--|
E --0------------0----0--|--7-----------5--------|--0----0------0----0--|--7----5-----------7--|

(Beat count 4/4)
--- 1 --- 2 ---- 3 --- 4 --- 1 --- 2 ---- 3 --- 4 --- 1 --- 2 --- 3 --- 4 --- 1 --- 2 --- 3 --- 4 --

E ------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
B ------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
G ------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
D --9--------------------|--5-------------~------|------------------------|--5-------------7------|
A --7--------------------|--3---------------------|--5-----------7--------|--7-------------5------|
E --0--------------------|-------------------------|--7-----------5--------|------------------------|

Sometimes you might see a rest, which looks kinda like ~ (spos to be on it's side). Pad the strings with you fretboard hand and stop them ringing out for that count.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 24 2011, 08:51 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 24 2011, 09:02 AM
This is a great post Azza! I think it should be included in the Wiki! Actually, I'd like to copy it and put it in my bit LESSON NOTES thread near the top where we talk about working with a Metronome, if your cool with that smile.gif I'd give you credit of course!

Todd

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 24 2011, 02:34 AM) *
When you listen to music there is an underlining pulse we call the beat. It's what you naturally tap to.

However, when playing music, lots of people are focusing on the next note rather than timing it and keeping both hands in sync.

Say the music is in 4/4 times, slow it down for starting off and count out loud, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Work along side a metronome and tapping your foot can help. Wait till your got the timing down before you play.

You can start by just practicing notes on one string and then moving to power chords.

Whole note - hold this for all 4 beats. (count as 1 . . . )
Half notes - hold for 2 beats. (count as 1 . 3 . )
Quarter note - 1 beat. (count as 1, 2, 3, 4)
Eighth notes - two per beat (count as 1 eh, 2 eh, 3 eh, 4 eh)
Sixteenth notes - four per beat (count as 1 eh an ah, 2 eh an ah, 3 eh an ah, 4 eh an ah)

Quietly count inbetween.

The 'eh an ah' (after the number count spoken) is for good timing, just don't rush the count or get inbetween. When the speed gets up, your'll still count but probably remove the inbetween 'eh an ah' as the timing will still match after practice.

You can loop practice with anything you like, here's a basic example (with half, quarter and whole notes):

D ------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|
A --2----~------2----2--|--5-----------7--------|--2----2------2----2--|--5----7-----------5--|
E --0------------0----0--|--7-----------5--------|--0----0------0----0--|--7----5-----------7--|

(Beat count 4/4)
--- 1 --- 2 ---- 3 --- 4 --- 1 --- 2 ---- 3 --- 4 --- 1 --- 2 --- 3 --- 4 --- 1 --- 2 --- 3 --- 4 --

D --9--------------------|--5-------------~------|------------------------|--5-------------7------|
A --7--------------------|--3---------------------|--5-----------7--------|--7-------------5------|
E --0--------------------|-------------------------|--7-----------5--------|------------------------|

Sometimes you might see a rest, which looks kinda like ~ (spos to be on it's side). Pad the strings with you fretboard hand and stop them ringing out for that count.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 24 2011, 06:30 PM
Sure, just trying to help, hopefully it makes sense smile.gif

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2011, 01:04 AM
HIGHLANDER:

Some great advice so far smile.gif The guys have a great point. Try to focus on things that you really want to play. If you could play anything, any song, any solo, what would it be? Well, learn that! No matter what it is or how hard, you can break it down in to smaller chunks and play it bit by bit. Put the chunks together and BAM!

So try to find stuff you REALLY want to play. This could mean creating your own stuff, but at first it will probably be learning stuff by your fav groups/players. Which is a great way to stay motivated to learn smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (The_Highlander @ Jul 1 2006, 05:48 AM) *
Which is the best way to practice? Is it to learn new songs and play along with them(which is pretty hard some times) or should i stick to these masterclass lessons. The reason why I ask this is because my older brother thinks I have problems with my rhythm playing and that I shouldn`t play these masterclass lessons because it´s to early for me to play this kind of stuff. Unfortunatley he is discouariging me when saying so which is making me less motivated. Does anyone have any suggestion on what I should do?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:05 AM