Modal Madness - Zsolt Galambos, Question about descending parts beginning with downstrokes
Jose Soriano
Sep 20 2008, 06:11 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

I would like to ask Zsolt about the exercise, but you're welcome guys to leave your opinion.

My question is regarding the attack of the string when we move from one to the next above. When Zsolt is doing an ascending part he first attacks every string from below (upstroke), but when he is doing descending parts he attacks the next string in the same way (upstroke again). I don't know why but when I have to do the descending part my head tells me to attack the next string from above (downstroke), for me it's more "symmetrical" to the ascending part, nearer to a strict alternate picking, but in this case I would have to modify the exercise to apply this pattern of upstroke-downstroke for descending.

So my question is, should I work the exercise as it is even it costs me a lot to change my playing, or both ways of picking are good? I mean, will I take some advantage of doing as you do it Zsolt?

Thanks! GREAT, GREAT, LESSON!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jay R.: Sep 20 2008, 06:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 21 2008, 02:40 PM
Instructor
I think you should really practice the way you feel comfortable with, but in general it is always best to practice both alternate and economy picking patterns in your playing. It will mean a lot in a long run. The more combinations you cover, the easier it will get tomorrow to practice new stuff, because you systematically go over a wider range of techniques in the start. So, combine the most comfortable approach with a wider range of techniques approach if you ask me mate.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Nov 5 2008, 01:32 AM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 21 2008, 03:40 PM) *
I think you should really practice the way you feel comfortable with, but in general it is always best to practice both alternate and economy picking patterns in your playing. It will mean a lot in a long run. The more combinations you cover, the easier it will get tomorrow to practice new stuff, because you systematically go over a wider range of techniques in the start. So, combine the most comfortable approach with a wider range of techniques approach if you ask me mate.

I compeletely agree with the mentioned. This is just an exercise using alternate picking, and while doing this you'll
get familiar with the fretboard and you can start making your own licks in the modes. Another thing is that you can
actually practice it in every key, or when you practice, try to remember the finger patterns, not the dots on the guitar
so while playing in another key, you won't get lost.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
facjata
May 3 2009, 06:07 PM
Zsolt, have you got some other pattern like Modal madness lessons? could you show it? i don't mean doing a new lesson, could you just say, or show a tab of other stuff like that, please?

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 3 2009, 06:39 PM
QUOTE (facjata @ May 3 2009, 08:07 PM) *
Zsolt, have you got some other pattern like Modal madness lessons? could you show it? i don't mean doing a new lesson, could you just say, or show a tab of other stuff like that, please?

Ask him in personal board! I wouldn`t mind if he will do modal madness lesson about melodic minor smile.gif Extremely useful series!

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 4 2009, 10:37 AM

+Quote Post
facjata
May 3 2009, 08:57 PM
good idea:) sorry for mistake, i'm new to the forum, i can't use it right way yet:P

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:59 PM