Blues Sound On Amp?
Icyflame
Nov 28 2007, 05:04 AM
GMC:er
I have a Line 6 Spyder III amp, and a Fender dlx strat (which i love) and i have been playing a lot of blues lately. I want to get a good blues sound, mainly for people like stevie ray vaughn and also some eric clapton.
My amp has a blues setting to it, but i want more then that. What else can i do to get the sound i want?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Icyflame: Nov 28 2007, 05:11 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
JVM
Nov 28 2007, 05:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Well, it depends. Personally I like a clean blues but some saturated stuff is awesome and fun to play as well. What does the setting on your amp sound like, ie, clean, saturated or in between? Ideally I'd have a setting that is clean but if you play hard enough you get some overdrive.

What do you mean you want more? More drive? A "better" setting?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 28 2007, 05:52 AM
I think boosting the bass and mid, and cutting the treble might help you out. I think this sounds good in general, but especially in bluesy stuff. Eric Clapton and SRV have very different sounds, though... what kind of tone are you looking for?

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Nov 28 2007, 05:53 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 28 2007, 05:57 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Nov 27 2007, 04:52 PM) *
I think boosting the bass and mid, and cutting the treble might help you out. I think this sounds good in general, but especially in bluesy stuff. Eric Clapton and SRV have very different sounds, though... what kind of tone are you looking for?

I agree, I usually start out with treble about 12 o clock, bass and mid around 3 or 4, and presence around 1-2 and a little reverb for a blues sound. I'll adjust from there.

This post has been edited by JVM: Nov 28 2007, 05:57 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Iconoclast
Nov 28 2007, 06:10 AM
Not only that, but theres also a blues driver pedal that boss makes, that works really well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bos...edal?sku=151392

+Quote Post
Icyflame
Nov 28 2007, 06:18 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Nov 27 2007, 08:52 PM) *

I will try that.. And i know that they have very different sounds, i want to try to get both eventually.. I mainly want a more saturated sound, almost rougher i guess. Also, what is prescense??

And to answer your question about how it sounds, it has a very clean sound to it.

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 28 2007, 06:23 AM
QUOTE (Icyflame @ Nov 27 2007, 09:18 PM) *
I will try that.. And i know that they have very different sounds, i want to try to get both eventually.. I mainly want a more saturated sound, almost rougher i guess. Also, what is prescense??

And to answer your question about how it sounds, it has a very clean sound to it.

Not all amps have a presence setting, I think it's the frequencies above the treble setting? I'm not positive, though, it doesn't have a huge effect on your tone, but it seems to slightly affect how bright it is.

+Quote Post
Icyflame
Nov 28 2007, 06:29 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Nov 27 2007, 09:23 PM) *
Not all amps have a presence setting, I think it's the frequencies above the treble setting? I'm not positive, though, it doesn't have a huge effect on your tone, but it seems to slightly affect how bright it is.

Yea, mine doesnt. My amp has drive, bass, mid, treble, chan vol (??), reverb, and master ofcourse.

+Quote Post
Icyflame
Nov 28 2007, 06:45 AM

i am now noticing a lot more the difference the pickups i use makes...... biigggg difference. lol.

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 28 2007, 06:52 AM
QUOTE (Icyflame @ Nov 27 2007, 09:45 PM) *

i am now noticing a lot more the difference the pickups i use makes...... biigggg difference. lol.

Oh, didn't even think about that... laugh.gif

It depends on the pickup, but usually the neck position is a lot fatter and warmer, but the bridge is crunchier and crisper.

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 28 2007, 06:56 AM
Learning Roadie
I like neck middle position on mine, but of course that depends on the guitar. It gets a really warm sound, but sometimes I switch to neck or bridge. Of course, bridge middle and middle have their uses too tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Icyflame
Nov 28 2007, 07:01 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Nov 27 2007, 09:56 PM) *
I like neck middle position on mine, but of course that depends on the guitar. It gets a really warm sound, but sometimes I switch to neck or bridge. Of course, bridge middle and middle have their uses too tongue.gif

I too, personally love the Neck and the Bridge, but the bridge is best on my guitar. It gives me a much bluesier sound then the middle but the neck is about the same, if only i could play on higher gaged strings i would sound like SRV..

This post has been edited by Icyflame: Nov 28 2007, 07:03 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 28 2007, 02:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Icyflame @ Nov 28 2007, 07:01 AM) *
I too, personally love the Neck and the Bridge, but the bridge is best on my guitar. It gives me a much bluesier sound then the middle but the neck is about the same, if only i could play on higher gaged strings i would sound like SRV..

My advice is that the neck pickup is the best way to go if you play SRV (or at least a singlecoil pickup). Try some 0.11 or 0.12 strings and tune them a halfstep down. THis will give you some "balls" but it is not enough to sound like SRV. He had some great chops and you must learn that also. Start with Muris`s In the style of SRV lesson. Nice and easy chops are explained there very efectively.
AS far as the sound on the amp, SRV used tube Fenders, but had a TS for boosting. You can emulate that by going on some crunch on your amp, and pick as heavely and precisely as you can on the strings. If you do use a neck pickup play with eq settings. Treble musn`t be too low because the neck is bassy by nature allready.
No effects in the blues, maybe some reverb here and there but try to play it loud and crunchy and off course get in that groove. SRV had a great groove felling and he was a fantastic rhythm player also. Try some of his scraching rhythm technique to really dig his style.

Clapton is another story, he often likes to use 2 and 4 positions and often middle and treble for leads. Using around standard to light gauge strings, he would dig in the to strings also, but not as heavely as SRV, and he didn`t have that scrachting sound. He plays very very clearly and with a great sence of melody. His chops are distictive and realatively easy to learn (but difficult to replicate in others solos) involving great interval slides, perfect chording and off course world famous blues licks among other things. He often uses the same setting on the amp, slightly dirty an trebly for leads, and ussualy rolls off the volume for clean.

I hope this helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Nov 28 2007, 02:43 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:24 PM