Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Keep Of Kelessin, Mr. Small's Theatre, Millvale, PA
steiner666
Apr 25 2008, 08:05 PM
GMC:er
I just got back from this concert this morning and my ears are still ringing and my neck is killing me!

Keep of Kalessin

I had never heard of these guys before... We showed up a little late to the show, and they were already on the stage shredding out some pretty decent riffs. Me and my gf and friends were pretty much busy their whole set getting our drink on and didn't get a chance to check them out as much as I would have liked to due to the fact that we couldn't leave the bar with our drinks! Nothing ruins a good time like stupid rules! So, I can't really give a legitimate review of their performance unfortunately. Perhaps another member will attend a show on this tour and fill in this blank.

Behemoth

Brutally insane! In my opinion they stole the show. I've listened to Behemoth for a few years now, and I've seen them once before at Ozzfest (if you can really even count that as "seeing" them when you're so far away and they had such a short set) and they definitely can shred through all of their songs live, no problem. I've never heard Mesa Boogie (couldn't tell if they were rectifiers or roadkings) amps sound so freakin awesome! It made me want to buy one. In my opinion, their sound quality was the best of the three bands

They put on one hell of a performance! They played pretty much all of my favorites, highlights being "Conquer All", "As Above So Below", and "No Sympathy For Fools". Inferno was INSANE on the drums, I really wanted to hear him do a solo, but no luck on that one. Every one of the band members really got into it with some insane windmills, and you could tell that energy was passed on to the crowd. The frontman, Nergal, did an awesome job off getting the audience pumped up, plenty of fist-pumping and shouting along. A personal highlight of the night was when Nergal was handed a bible (i think from someone in the crowd? not sure) and started tearing pages from it before the next song kicked in.

It was pure adrenaline, and I feel like i whipped my head right off my neck! This great energy, along with the insane drums, and vocalist also playing guitars (which always gets mad props from me) gives Behemoths overall score a 9/10... the only thing keeping them from the perfect 10 being the fact that I've been spoiled by the awesomeness and perfection that is Arch Enemy's live performances too many times. laugh.gif

Dimmu Borgir

The biggest band of the night, needless to say, since they were in the headlining spot. I've listened to them for the longest between the two bands, and I'd seen them on their previous headlining tour on 4/20 of last year (crazy show, needless to say) in Cleveland and I was just as impressed with them this time. Well, perhaps not QUITE as impressed. This showed lacked the insane amount of fog that was present at the last show, Hellhammer didn't do a drum solo, and they didn't play my personal live favorite "Kings of the Carnival Creation".

However, it's still Dimmu, so it was awesome. They had a significantly longer set than Behemoth (much to my dismay, because I would have liked to hear a few more songs from those crazy Pollocks!) and played some of my favorites including: "The Serpentine Offering", "Puritania", "Mourning Palace", "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse"... but really, how could they NOT play those hits?

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't say they put on AS good of a performance as Behemoth, but pretty close, in a different way. Where Behemoth was all head-banging energy and brutality, Dimmu was more like a slow, menacing evil. Pretty much all the bands members (except for Mustis and Hellhammer of course) had good crowd interaction, getting right down in ppls faces and stirring things up. Galder, of course, brought his best insane, evil grin that night... it just wouldn't be Dimmu without it! Vortex's vocal parts actually sounded even better than the last show I'd been to.

My final comment on Dimmu is on the sound quality. This is the biggest problem I have with this band. Both times that I've seen them live, their sound levels just didn't seem... quite right. Both times they were too loud (not something I complain about often), this time wasn't as bad because the venue was smaller. I'm not sure if it's the keyboards or just feedback or what, but oftentimes the songs would almost be indistinguishable and sounded like one, big, standing wave. If I didn't know most of the songs going into the show, I don't think I would have had much of a clue of what the music sounded like. Sometimes even the drums couldn't be heard, and it really just kills the energy of the show when you can't hear/feel the heartbeat of it all.

Despite the issues with not being able to distinguish the music at times, Dimmu Borgir still gets an 8/10 from me for the great atmosphere/stage presence they always have, and for those awesome moments when you actually COULD hear the music.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by steiner666: Apr 25 2008, 09:46 PM

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2008, 09:51 PM
Instructor
Great review!! I use to listen to Dimmu Borgir albums and I think that it must be very difficult to make it sound good in the places that they use to play. They have very distorted guitar, ultra fast drums, a symphonic Orquestra and scream/gutural voice. However if they control the volume level they would sound better off course.

thanks for the review!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
steiner666
Apr 25 2008, 09:58 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 25 2008, 04:51 PM) *
Great review!! I use to listen to Dimmu Borgir albums and I think that it must be very difficult to make it sound good in the places that they use to play. They have very distorted guitar, ultra fast drums, a symphonic Orquestra and scream/gutural voice. However if they control the volume level they would sound better off course.

thanks for the review!

Yeah, I think that the problem with the sound really lies with the keyboards. My ears really don't like too much high frequencies (like, the sound of a CRT monitor/tv being on without any signal to it drives me crazy!) I think I'm just more sensitive to those higher frequencies. When you have all of these really loud instruments - drums, bass, guitar - which sound great loud, and then you throw in some vocals on top of that... you've got a fully loaded low and mid frequency range, then you want to add some violins and cellos and all that (which is what really attracted me to Dimmu in the first place) and have it actually be heard over the mess of everything else in the mix, you gotta have it louder than it should be... and it just doesn't work live, IMO.

Behemoth are tuned all the way down to B, and I know they use 7 string/baritone guitars at least sometimes. Their music just slams you live, the only higher frequencies being the vocals (which are still pretty low) and guitar solos (which have some very good, melodic moments), and those take turns in pretty much every song so it never gets overloaded or muddied up. Then there's Inferno's very crisp, hi-hat and cymbal work going on over-top of the blast beat and double/triple kicks... so their music is just a bit more dynamic in ranges and that's what I really like in a band... maybe that's why I've always enjoyed low-tuned death metal more than black metal, especially in a live setting.

This post has been edited by steiner666: Apr 26 2008, 12:50 AM

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Apr 26 2008, 01:30 AM
Instructor
what can i say?

great review!

here we have one of my favourite bands! DIMMU BORGIR

see u!!!

my lessons

+Quote Post
stratman33
Apr 26 2008, 05:22 AM
those guys are creepy blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 26 2008, 09:48 AM
Singing Instructor
Great review!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 26 2008, 12:58 PM
Instructor
Great review smile.gif
I like Dimmu Borgir alot, esepcially the Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Spiritual Black Dimension albums.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
Apr 26 2008, 01:03 PM
Nice review!, would love to see Dimmu and Behemoth live!

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Apr 26 2008, 11:14 PM
Instructor
GREAT REVIEW!!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Apr 26 2008, 11:19 PM
sounds pretty sweet, but you might want to get your ears tested after that! tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Mark.
Apr 28 2008, 10:00 AM
I never listened to Dimmu Borgir before, got to check them out ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Apr 28 2008, 10:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mark. @ Apr 28 2008, 06:00 AM) *
I never listened to Dimmu Borgir before, got to check them out ohmy.gif

take a few minutes and you will have a new favourite band! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

my lessons

+Quote Post
Mark.
Apr 28 2008, 11:06 AM
I checked out some songs, and I think they rule!
They have many albums, which is a good one to start with ohmy.gif ?

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 28 2008, 06:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mark. @ Apr 28 2008, 12:06 PM) *
I checked out some songs, and I think they rule!
They have many albums, which is a good one to start with ohmy.gif ?

Spiritual Black Dimension and the Puritanical Euphoric Misantrophia albums are good entrypoints i think.

Or Stormblåst (not the remake) and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant if you prefer more classic blackmetal.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Apr 28 2008, 06:30 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:33 AM