What Side Are You On?
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 4 2012, 08:23 PM
Instructor
This is somewhat an awkward question, as all of us are musically inclined smile.gif but still, take a look at the picture below:

I was thinking about how we look at music - a neverending ocean of mathematical possibilities whose waters hide wonderful feelings smile.gif we perceive music with both our sides of our brain, the left one and the right one, BUT which one leads you when it comes down to music? Do you ever surprise yourself letting go or do you always think about what you are playing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Feb 4 2012, 08:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
Left in really a lot of things, so maybe the creativity could be better when it comes to my musical ideas

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 4 2012, 09:08 PM
Instructor
I use my right side most of the time, even more when I'm composing or improvising. I don't think to much on theory when it's time for creation, however I think that all that theory is connected in any way with our creations so in some point both sides are connected.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 4 2012, 09:10 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I am Brain, neither left nor right, cause take either part away and I am no longer whole.

Although, there are studies which show that surgeries which remove one hemisphere of a brain in young children (usually done for extreme seizure complications) the remaining hemisphere takes on the capabilities of both sides.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 4 2012, 10:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 4 2012, 08:08 PM) *
I use my right side most of the time, even more when I'm composing or improvising. I don't think to much on theory when it's time for creation, however I think that all that theory is connected in any way with our creations so in some point both sides are connected.

True that Gabe! Ain't it amazing how things intertwine? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 4 2012, 10:56 PM
Learning Roadie
LEFT I am very analytical. I overthink things. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bluelineman
Feb 5 2012, 01:45 AM
GMC:er
Mostly left but I am trying to approach the guitar this time around (recently came back after 20 year break) from the right side.

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Feb 5 2012, 01:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 4 2012, 04:56 PM) *
LEFT I am very analytical. I overthink things. biggrin.gif

Same here...funny I have to think about relaxing so I can be creative...such a struggle.

This post has been edited by Michael AC: Feb 5 2012, 01:49 AM

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Feb 5 2012, 02:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'd like to think I use my left brain most for music, but honestly for anything other than practice, I mostly use my right brain. As both Yngwie Malmsteen and Marcus Lavendell say: "If it sounds good, it is good".

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 5 2012, 08:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Feb 5 2012, 01:59 AM) *
I'd like to think I use my left brain most for music, but honestly for anything other than practice, I mostly use my right brain. As both Yngwie Malmsteen and Marcus Lavendell say: "If it sounds good, it is good".

+1 laugh.gif

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Feb 5 2012, 08:33 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Feb 4 2012, 09:10 PM) *
Although, there are studies which show that surgeries which remove one hemisphere of a brain in young children (usually done for extreme seizure complications) the remaining hemisphere takes on the capabilities of both sides.

+1, the idea of left and right brain is outdated science. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Feb 5 2012, 08:33 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 5 2012, 09:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Feb 5 2012, 07:33 AM) *
+1, the idea of left and right brain is outdated science. smile.gif

Uh oh, had no clue smile.gif will research some more

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 6 2012, 09:31 AM
Instructor
Things are never black & white like this, but I use both of these things. I'm very systematic in some of the things I do, and very artistic in some others, it just depends..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 6 2012, 07:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Left Brain for practice, Right Brain for composing and performing

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2012, 07:19 AM
GMC:er
Great thread smile.gif And cool pic! When I'm writing, I really try to turn my brain off as much as possible and sort of let it happen. The more I try to force it, the more forced it usually sounds. Same for solos. When I'm listening to solos/songs that other players have written, I can sometimes hear sections where it seems like they are almost fighting with themselves to push to the next bit. Tension and release are, of course, the underlying essence of nearly all good composition, but forced tension can really kill the vibe in a piece.

So in short, when writing anything, try to let go as much as you can. You might be shocked and amazed at the results smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 4 2012, 02:23 PM) *
This is somewhat an awkward question, as all of us are musically inclined smile.gif but still, take a look at the picture below:

I was thinking about how we look at music - a neverending ocean of mathematical possibilities whose waters hide wonderful feelings smile.gif we perceive music with both our sides of our brain, the left one and the right one, BUT which one leads you when it comes down to music? Do you ever surprise yourself letting go or do you always think about what you are playing?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2012, 09:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 9 2012, 06:19 AM) *
Great thread smile.gif And cool pic! When I'm writing, I really try to turn my brain off as much as possible and sort of let it happen. The more I try to force it, the more forced it usually sounds. Same for solos. When I'm listening to solos/songs that other players have written, I can sometimes hear sections where it seems like they are almost fighting with themselves to push to the next bit. Tension and release are, of course, the underlying essence of nearly all good composition, but forced tension can really kill the vibe in a piece.

So in short, when writing anything, try to let go as much as you can. You might be shocked and amazed at the results smile.gif

Todd

+1 Todd! I ALWAYS felt the bad mojo in the sections which were pushed just for the sake of showing something or implementing some passage or technique which had no place there. Well, in my opinion these things become smoother and smoother with maturity, so I guess we can just write as much as possible and allow ourselves to grow smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:45 PM