3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
December Mtp Thread - Neurologi
Daniel Realpe
Dec 1 2009, 06:39 PM
Instructor
Hi Neurologi!

I'm glad we're gonna get started with the MTP program, let's make the most out of it,

First I want you to check out the basic guidelines of the MTP program in case you haven't:

* Weekly assignment: The student has one week to complete the assignment, and must then provide audio or video of how progress is going

* Monthly REC take: After one month of mtp, the student must submit a REC take. (This take doesn't necessarily have to pass)

* One new thread per month / per student: When the month is finished the instructor closes the mtp thread. The instructors' last post in the thread should be a summary of the student's four assignments and a link to the student's REC submission. If the student has failed to complete an assignment/progress report, or the monthly rec submission - he/she will not be able to continue with mtp (this rule applies for November as well!)

First I want to know a little more about your background, knowledge and playing abilities. We'll take it from there. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 2 2009, 10:25 AM
GMC:er
I posted my guitar CV at the root of the sub-forum here. Even though we have gotten to know each other a fair bit already over the last month or so, I spent quite a lot of time on it to give you an idea of where I am coming from.

As for my playing abilities, I could post links to some demos of when I last played seriously? Probably not relevant though as this was years ago and not really representative of the present situation. The only recent examples I have are those of your first collaboration which I participated in and a sound-byte I recorded for a thread I started a while ago asking about advice for retubing the Triaxis which was well overdue. I could link to the latter as well or do you have enough material to give you an indication already?

I will state it again for I truly mean what I say. It is both an honour and a privilege to have the opportunity to be under your tutelage.

Thank you and the powers that be.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 3 2009, 04:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Neurologi!

All right!

I'd like you to work on several things (from what you showed interest in) simultaneously which are intimately correlated:

- Rhythm
- Scale patterns
- Arpeggios
- Theory

and also: Sight singing and ear training,

First assignment: (due December 10th) Recordings can be posted on MP3 or video.

- Rhythm: Perform rhythmic figure attached on guitar pro file. First with claps and secondly with voice. The metronome must be under it. As you can see it has a count-in measure and the figure repeats twice. Record and post MP3 or video.

The vocal performance can be done with syllables such as "Pam" "Tam" "Ta"

- Scales: Let's start doing something different from Up and Down. Record and post exercise from guitarpro file attached.

- Arpeggios: Record and post figure attached on GP file. (Two string beginner arpeggio)

- Theory: Recognize what 3 modes are being used on the scales figure. (There are three phrases). Post your written answers in the order they appeared.

- Sight singing: I'm gonna start with a very basic exercise just to see at what point you are at.

Record and post the singing of this lesson:

C major

- Ear training: Identify the 4 intervals being played on the MIDI file. (Thirds, seconds, fifths, fourths, etc). Post a written answer of what intervals where on the file in the order they appeared.

* That's the first assignment, we'll see how we go from here, let me know of questions and comments.

For the REC lesson I think the "Timing exercise" by Muris Varajic will be great, which can be found here. And I think it's correlated with what we are doing on the exercises.

Due date for this lesson will be 30th of December.

great!

I know it's 6 assignments but they are not complicated. Anyway, let me know your thoughts. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Dec 3 2009, 06:51 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Arpeggios_Assignment_no.1.gp5 ( 1.95K ) Number of downloads: 165
Attached File  Rhythmic_Assignment_no.1.gp5 ( 1.59K ) Number of downloads: 104
Attached File  Ear_training_Assignment_no.1.mid ( 319bytes ) Number of downloads: 146
Attached File  Scales_Assignment_no.1.gp5 ( 1.73K ) Number of downloads: 152

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 3 2009, 09:39 PM
Initial reaction? Pretty excited. I didn't know what to expect but I must say that I am impressed. Your regimen fits perfectly with the desired direction I am hoping to go outlined in the oh-so verbose CV of mine which you kindly took the time to read. Many thanks for putting forth the effort to compile such a well-thought out plan.

Time to get cracking! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 4 2009, 01:39 AM
Instructor
I'm glad we are going in the direction you want,

This material will be very helpful for the benefit of ultimately, your playing,

If you want to start sending answers before, I can review them,

cool.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 4 2009, 02:39 PM
You will have to excuse in advance my responses for the Ear Training component of this week's assignment. I already know it is an area I will have to focus on in the beginning for quite simply I never got that far with it. Back in the day, I even purchased a complete set of David Lucas Burge's Relative/Perfect Pitch Ear Training Course but I learnt early on that to practise one needed a means of testing identification of pitches and intervals. There wasn't an option apart from having a friend play them at random which really isn't an effective way of developing these abilities. There are tests on the accompanying CD's but very soon the long-term memory kicks in given there are only so many permutations.

Things are different now with the advent of interactive tools to help get the job done. To that end, I obtained a copy of Sibelius Auralia some time ago but can honestly say that up till now have not used it. Well I just dusted it off today and started with Level 1 of the included "Interval Recognition" syllabus which drills you only on Perfect Fourth/Fifth and Octave intervals. At a 50% strike rate I have a lot of work to do! smile.gif I will do a little everyday from now on ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 4 2009, 08:09 PM
Instructor
all right! great! this course looks fantastic!

Then tell me where are you at and what topics are you practicing and I'll try to help you by evaluating your ear recognition abilities,

so if you are looking at 4th 5th and 8vas, you'll be able to write the intervals I put on the file

how about the rhythm?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 4 2009, 08:22 PM
Which course do you mean? Burge or Auralia?

Cool! I assume then that the "Ear Training" midi file in the assignment is only potentially one of those intervals you just mentioned (P4, P5, or P8)? I haven't listened to it yet as I have trouble identifying even those few with good probability let alone anything else! tongue.gif That is why I thought to do some basic drills to start with so hopefully my answers will be slightly better than a "pure guess".

Actually with the rhythm I did have a question I forgot to ask. The basic counting system I have always used is that of for instance:

Eighth Note: 1+ 2+ 3+ 4+
Eighth Note Triplets: 1ea 2ea 3ea 4ea
Sixteenth Note: 1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a

I hope that is all right? It would be quite difficult for me to adopt a new one ... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 4 2009, 09:06 PM
Instructor
Counting system seems fine, if you want to record the exercise with numbers, go ahead, but I think that'll make it a little harder,

just try both ways

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 4 2009, 09:20 PM
True. The numbers do make it harder which is why once I have a feel for a basic rhythm I don't actually count it anymore and just feel or tap it with my foot if the tempo isn't too fast. I might have a look into alternate ways of counting like the one you suggested.

I assume you would mean Auralia since you just mentioned it in Mirko's post ... smile.gif If so, I just started with "Interval Recognition" and "Scales" lesson sections. The latter seems a lot easier to recognise at the moment than the intervals themselves. What is nice is that you can enter your answers on a guitar fretboard. So it helps to remember them in that context also which I have a problem with doing at speed in the real world. For instance, an octave on the very next string is the doozey at the moment but getting faster as I go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 4 2009, 09:41 PM
Instructor
Man, that program really sounds good,

good choice,

I mentioned it because you recommended it smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 4 2009, 09:43 PM
Haha! Glad I could be of some service! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 9 2009, 05:12 PM
Greetings!

Ok. This is Part One of this week's assignment. I will finish the rest tomorrow.

Attached File  Arpeggios1.mp3 ( 338.71K ) Number of downloads: 202

Attached File  Scales1.mp3 ( 333.2K ) Number of downloads: 202

Bar 2 is B Aeolian
Bar 3 is F# Locrian or Phrygian
Bars 4-5 are G Ionian

I hope it is to the master's satisfaction? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Dec 9 2009, 05:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 10 2009, 12:52 AM
Instructor
Hi Ken!

Before I comment on your takes, I have to apologize for an error I commited on the theory question, because there are only two phrases on the scales figure not three.

The first one is a minor (Aeolian) and the second a major (Ionian). The second was the "tricky" one because the shape suggests a Lydian mode but the ending note stablishes the major mode.

So you got it right. I see your knowledge on modes is good. Let's keep on identifying the rest.

- Arpeggios: I can hear that you have a good picking. Did you do AP or sweeping?
Notes sound clear and even.

There's a problem when you start each lick if you notice. The first note happens before the click. Try to be locked as much as possible with the pulse. This is something that has a lot to do with the rhythm exercise. That's something to focus on.

Another thing I noticed is that on the second lick the first two notes ring together. Notes on an arpeggio have to sound separately. That interval (minor third) on the guitar is two frets before on the next string. We'll focus on that for the next assigment.

- Scales: Good picking. You have solid sync between left and right hand. Now we have to work on the muting of strings. Notice at the end of every phrase, strings ring a little bit. You have to maintain the same technique until the very end of each phrase. You already have it, now you only have to be conscious of it. Let’s work on something more staccato on the next assignment so you can become more aware of this.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 10 2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks Daniel. Great advice and very perceptive. Bed time for me so I can't ponder on these points too much but will do first thing in the morning.

Cheers.

PS I alternate picked. I started to sweep but since the tempo in the exercise is rather slow (for eighth notes) I found it easier to pick it out! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 10 2009, 02:05 AM
Instructor
All right! I'm gonna focus on that second lick for the next assingment so you have it taken care of, nothing musical, but a great exercise, I'll post your next assingment soon,

For the rhythm exercise, upload the voice if you feel comfortable only (recommended though). The clappings are a must though. smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 10 2009, 07:53 PM
By the way, I really enjoyed the video chat. It was a fluke that I caught it though. I was to have my sauna at 7pm as no-one had booked themselves in when I checked a few hours earlier. I didn't put my name down as I wasn't sure exactly what time I would be ready. Well I was just about to go and in the meantime some DID book that time. So, I thought bummer I will just have it later. I checked "View New Posts" and BAM!! Your vid chat was due to start in a few minutes. Talk about perfect timing and sequencing of events!!! smile.gif

You will have to write down the fingering for that stretching exercise of yours. Everything blazed by so fast I didn't catch it all except that it will be useful for those more than four-plus-fret span pinky stretches for the pull-off section in almost every sweep shape I have come across so far. That is a weak area I feel to get it to flow together nicely.

I am sure I have some more questions related to sweeping but the only one that comes to mind right now is you know how the usual advice for regular picking is to angle the pick but I find that when sweeping it seems more natural to flat pick. Is that a valid assumption? Another is would you say the pick glides over the string as it passes or it makes more firm contact?

Yeah. I know. I can't help myself. I have become quite analytical in my old age ....

[EDIT] >> Gee. That didn't take long. Thought of another question for the maestro. After playing a note do you lift the finger off from the fret or just relax? I am thinking just relax .... The fingers have less distance to travel and can then more easily play at a faster speed.

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Dec 10 2009, 08:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 10 2009, 08:02 PM
Instructor
I'm glad you enjoyed the chat, I'll try to make it tomorrow and we can discuss this further with some examples

"the pick glides over the string as it passes or it makes more firm contact"

I think that's it, it feels a little more loose in the hand, not as hard as when you do AP

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 10 2009, 08:06 PM
Cool. Looking forward to it. In the meantime, I can think of more to hassle you with ... tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 10 2009, 09:59 PM
Instructor
hehe, no worries man, I'll be glad to help you with what I can

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:35 AM