3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Pod Hd500, How many of you own one - first impressions?
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 21 2012, 10:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
You really need two inputs to record it in stereo but that's a pretty resourceful way of using the pod, and re-amping in general is a cool technique!

I have my studio setup to do it using my audio interface and a DI box so I can always record the tone clean. Then I can reamp either in the box with gearbox, Pod Farm or Guitar Reg, or using hardware like the pod or a real amp using the mic to record the sound of the amp. I have enough ins and outs that I can leave them hooked up permanently which makes things a lot easier, plus I have a patch bay which makes things easier if i want to swap things around.

I also plan on using the Pod hooked up with a mic to add latency free delay and reverb to my tones when i am recording for monitoring purposes - I did a test run today in fact and it is working well smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jan 21 2012, 10:37 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 23 2012, 06:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Seems that for re-amping *anything*, not just POD, you could use a "Y" splitter and a DI box to record both a dry signal and the tone from your unit directly into your AI simultaneously - each to its own channel. That way if you decide the tone you recorded wasn't the best, you could always re-amp the dry signal onto a new track, or Main out during your mix down once you have the tone to your liking.

I saw a video or read a forum thread about this - if I'm able to find it, I'll post a link. I think that's generally the easiest and most used way.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 23 2012, 07:35 PM
Right - its a much used technique in professional studios. I fact most if not all DI boxes will have an instrument level input, an instrument level output and an impedance buffered mic level output all built in with no need for an additional Y connector. You feed the instrument out to the amp or pod or whatever, and the mic out to a spare channel in your DAW. Then it's just a question of recording the output of whatever you fed the instrument out into along with the dry signal for later revamping.

In general, unless you are going for a very specific effect it is best to record everything dry since its usually impossible to remove effects after the fact - doing it this way preserves maximum flexibility. In this day and age of 24 bit DACs there isn't even usually a need to use compression on input as headroom is no longer at a premium.
Reamping is the reverse of the above ... In the guitar world you generally need a revamping box to convert the line level signal to instrument level again.
To make all of this work smoothly it generally helps to have at least 2 input channels, 3 if you want to record the original signal along with a stereo signal such as the pod, then for reamping, a 3rd output channel is generally necessary to avoid having to rewire your main monitoring stereo pair.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 23 2012, 08:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 23 2012, 10:35 AM) *
Reamping is the reverse of the above ... In the guitar world you generally need a revamping box to convert the line level signal to instrument level again.
To make all of this work smoothly it generally helps to have at least 2 input channels, 3 if you want to record the original signal along with a stereo signal such as the pod, then for reamping, a 3rd output channel is generally necessary to avoid having to rewire your main monitoring stereo pair.

Thanks for the clarification on that - I kindof knew what you were talking about but had the opposite in mind when replying biggrin.gif

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 23 2012, 08:17 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey,

this reamping topic with the POD is very interesting. In a german music forum is also a discussion ongoing how to record the dry and the effect signal. They say that the POD x3 is able to record both signals at the same time (the driver settings must be adjusted for that)

They point out that the new POD HD is not able to record both signals at the moment (with adjusting the driver settings) therefore they use this trick I posted before.

Maybe the POD HD will be able to record both signals with a new firmware update.

I'm not experienced, so i hope it makes sense what I wrote smile.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 23 2012, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 23 2012, 02:02 PM) *
Thanks for the clarification on that - I kindof knew what you were talking about but had the opposite in mind when replying

happy to help - in any case theb2 things are very closely related since you need a dry signal before you can successfully reamp!

Maybe the POD HD will be able to record both signals with a new firmware update.

Interestingly enough, the older pods (I had an XT live before the pro) allowed you to pick the dry or effected signal to record but not both. This seems like the kind of thing that could be addressed in firmware depending on how flexible the DSP routing is in the unit.
The pro actually has a Dry Out on the back, potentially meaning that you don't need a DI box,although it comes out at instrument level rather than mic or line, and in any case I don't use the pro as my audio interface, it is mainly for noodling and monitoring of guitar when I record it. I usually rely on VSTs to add effects in the DAW, I used to be able to get the exat sounds from my XT live in the gearbox plugin but sadly there is no equivalent yet for the HD units, I really hope they release one as it was a really flexible way of working, kind of a virtual reamp without the recording part, I could change the tone all day as much as I wanted and hear it against the dry guitar with no need to commit to a particular effect until I liked the sound in the mix.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 24 2012, 10:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys,

i found some more "beef" for us POD users!

Here is a nice clean sound preset which i found through this thread: click here

Here the preset:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/212138/

On the first page of this thread Shaolin posted a link to a cool in depth guide about creating tones with the POD (http://line6.com/support/thread/71651)

The author of this guide added all his tones on a site which I want to share with you here:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneDemo/

cheers

Roman

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 24 2012, 11:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 24 2012, 01:03 PM) *
Hi guys,

i found some more "beef" for us POD users!

Here is a nice clean sound preset which i found through this thread: click here

Here the preset:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/212138/

On the first page of this thread Shaolin posted a link to a cool in depth guide about creating tones with the POD (http://line6.com/support/thread/71651)

The author of this guide added all his tones on a site which I want to share with you here:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneDemo/

cheers

Roman

Awesome. Gonna check these out tomorrow!
Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Sep 2 2012, 04:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I got my HD 500 this week and I got a Tech 21 amp with it too. It is pretty amazing. Taking a little getting used to settings, but I am anxious to get tones dialed in.

Has anyone played live with it yet?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2012, 02:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Sep 2 2012, 12:04 AM) *
I got my HD 500 this week and I got a Tech 21 amp with it too. It is pretty amazing. Taking a little getting used to settings, but I am anxious to get tones dialed in.

Has anyone played live with it yet?

I use my pod live but only as a multiFx, I don't use the amp emulators...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
AdamB
Sep 3 2012, 04:13 PM
GMC:er
Yea I've played a couple of shows with a pod HD Pro rack unit. I just put the guitar into the rack, then the rack out into the effects return of a blackstar HT-5 (at line level) from the line out left channel (mono). Sounds really good, through a 2x12" cab it's plenty loud and the blackstar doesn't seem to colour the tone much - but I don't have a good ear for tone so I'm not sure how much my opinion counts on that.

Bad sound quality, but there's a video of me playing with it over here (I'm the creepy guy on the left with the sunglasses and the pink pickups tongue.gif ):

The most useful thing for me is that I can program each song in into the set list and at the end of each song just hit next preset and it even tells me on the display which song it is next, and has 4 slots for each song to program sounds in.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2012, 04:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AdamB @ Sep 3 2012, 12:13 PM) *
Yea I've played a couple of shows with a pod HD Pro rack unit. I just put the guitar into the rack, then the rack out into the effects return of a blackstar HT-5 (at line level) from the line out left channel (mono). Sounds really good, through a 2x12" cab it's plenty loud and the blackstar doesn't seem to colour the tone much - but I don't have a good ear for tone so I'm not sure how much my opinion counts on that.

Bad sound quality, but there's a video of me playing with it over here (I'm the creepy guy on the left with the sunglasses and the pink pickups tongue.gif ):

The most useful thing for me is that I can program each song in into the set list and at the end of each song just hit next preset and it even tells me on the display which song it is next, and has 4 slots for each song to program sounds in.

Did you use pod's amp emulations or just the effects?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
AdamB
Sep 3 2012, 05:39 PM
GMC:er
I used the amp emulation.

I had it still set to 'studio direct' mode too, which means it was doing cab emulation. Apparently this is a bad thing (you're meant to turn off cab emulation by setting the output mode to 'Amp something-or-other'), but it sounds fine to me setup this way. And if it's ain't broke...

I use a bunch of different amps in different presets, that's another cool thing is you can use radically different sounds for each song (and even within the same song) and it'll set it all up for you on 1 footswitch press. I find that very cool, using one amp and a few effects you have to dance over is very limiting for me.

The only downside for me so far is balancing patches with each other, so that when I switch to the next song I know the levels are right compared to the song before. Also I tend to add too much reverb to patches coz it sounds good through headphones, but in an open environment with the venue verb on top it's too much. I played 2 gigs outside with it, and it was fine as it was outside, but I played in a club with it once at a jam session and it was way too much reverb. It's be nice to have a 'reverb global scale' control to be able to set that up quickly depending on the venue conditions. But you can't always get what you want...

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 3 2012, 09:27 PM
Instructor
I just was talking to a friend of mine who owns one we will be comparing AxeFx and HD500 in a few weeks cause he is swearing by it and it would be very cool to hear if there is any difference! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2012, 02:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 3 2012, 05:27 PM) *
I just was talking to a friend of mine who owns one we will be comparing AxeFx and HD500 in a few weeks cause he is swearing by it and it would be very cool to hear if there is any difference! smile.gif

This sounds VERY promising! I'll be waiting for this comparison!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:01 PM