2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Stairway To Heaven, Dont Know Where Else To Post This
Paul Coutts
Jan 13 2008, 07:46 PM
GMC:er
I've had a problem with consistently being discouraged to challenge myself on guitar cause I always think everything is too hard. Today, I sat down, and I finally learned the Stairway to Heaven solo...and, honestly, for the first time in 7 years....I feel like a guitarist.
Let me tell you why, and it may be cheesy, lol
7 years ago, when I first starting playing guitar, my dad told me about Led Zeppelin and how it is his favorite band. Then he showed me Stairway to Heaven, and said he would be really proud if I learned it. It's been on my mind for 7 years, and I never "had the courage" to learn it. I thought it was too challenging etc...my dad left last year, and Í haven't seen him since June 07. The last conversation I had with him was how he respected me and my brother for sticking with music even though we taught ourselves....and that he really respects what we're doing.
Now after learning that solo....I've got this HUGE new energy for playing guitar...it feels as good as it did beginning...I haven't felt like this in ages, and I thought I just share this with everyone.
I know the whole story sounds really cliche and cheesy, even I think so....but it's true smile.gif
Cheers, guys....keep rockin'

(Even though stairway is played ALL the time, and has become really stale and cheesy....IT'S AN AWESOME SONG)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 13 2008, 07:49 PM
Lets go fishing!
Thanks for shareing !! You know every good guitar site needs a starway to heaven thread wink.gif - Its just not a guitar site without it biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
xucphra
Congrats man. Keep rockin' hard! biggrin.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Iluha
That's awesome man, I also find that getting closure, in this case it means learning a song I want to, is very motivating to push even further because it basicly shows you CAN do it!

I hope you continue like this and learn many many more songs and write you'r own amazing music wink.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jan 13 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys, I must admit I was a little nervous for posting this, cause it's a little personal etc...I thought people would read it and be like...wtf?! lol.
Thanks for replying, it means a lot.
Cheers!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Jan 13 2008, 07:56 PM
Gongrats m8 biggrin.gif I'm thinking of learning that solo too smile.gif keep rocking....

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 13 2008, 08:26 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thats great story man ! Its not cheesy at all..I'm very glad you accomplished one of your goals...Also I just love song Stairway to Heaven ... wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Jan 13 2008, 08:27 PM
Nice! I had a similar experience a few months ago with the Sweet Child Of Mine solo smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maxwelldewitte
Jan 13 2008, 08:28 PM
Make a recording biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 13 2008, 08:29 PM
Instructor
Congrats Paul!! smile.gif

Now go for further goals with new energy you've got! cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 13 2008, 08:34 PM
Get to da Chopper!
This is a kick up the bum for me i guess, my dad always wanted me to learn Apache by The Shadows. Not a hard piece but i never had the patience to sit and learn something i wasnt particularly interested in.

Thinking about it- it is a pretty cool piece of music....maybe some time soon ay wink.gif

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jan 13 2008, 08:39 PM
thanks guys,
Trust me...you think you don't have the patience, but get to it and it's easier than you think....and the reward after is so good. Don't wait around smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
777-HAIRMETAL4HI...
Jan 13 2008, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (Paul Coutts @ Jan 13 2008, 12:46 PM) *
I've had a problem with consistently being discouraged to challenge myself on guitar cause I always think everything is too hard. Today, I sat down, and I finally learned the Stairway to Heaven solo...and, honestly, for the first time in 7 years....I feel like a guitarist.
Let me tell you why, and it may be cheesy, lol
7 years ago, when I first starting playing guitar, my dad told me about Led Zeppelin and how it is his favorite band. Then he showed me Stairway to Heaven, and said he would be really proud if I learned it. It's been on my mind for 7 years, and I never "had the courage" to learn it. I thought it was too challenging etc...my dad left last year, and Í haven't seen him since June 07. The last conversation I had with him was how he respected me and my brother for sticking with music even though we taught ourselves....and that he really respects what we're doing.
Now after learning that solo....I've got this HUGE new energy for playing guitar...it feels as good as it did beginning...I haven't felt like this in ages, and I thought I just share this with everyone.
I know the whole story sounds really cliche and cheesy, even I think so....but it's true smile.gif
Cheers, guys....keep rockin'

(Even though stairway is played ALL the time, and has become really stale and cheesy....IT'S AN AWESOME SONG)

Thanks for posting.....
i love stories that turn out good
KEPP ON ROCKIN MAN laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Electrics: Paul Reed Smith Custom 22, color (Abalone)
Sqiure Telecaster, color (butterscotch)
Acoustics: Taylor 314e
1972 or 73' Alvarez
Suzuki 12-string
Amps: Fender Blues Junior (30 watts of bluesy goodness)
On the Floor: Boss pedal board
Boss DS-1 (California modified)
Boss Loop Station (stompbox)
Boss Chromatic tuner
Ibanez Phaser and Ibanez Chorus/Flanger
Crybaby Wah-wah
Boxers or briefs: ha ha just kidding

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jan 13 2008, 09:38 PM
congrats!
Im listeneing to the song right now when i read it.. laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/guitar4ace.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe><iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/major%20nelson.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 13 2008, 11:15 PM
Congrats man! Good to see you have a lot of moivation

I love Stairway to Heaven. Go Led Zep!!! Whoo!!!

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 14 2008, 12:27 AM
Instructor
Thanks for sharing that story with us man it really isn't cheesy at all - we've all been through some similar stuff in life. Just keep rockin at it will be fine. All the best! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 14 2008, 02:04 AM
Instructor
thenks for sharing, and congratulations, you must remember why you like playing guitar, try to learn tunes you like and not those you are "suposed" to learn. I wanted to learn guitar so I could play Wish you were here, and Is there anybody out there of pink floyd, I still enjoy playing them and people still like playing or listening bach or bethooven. Keep rocking my friend

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 14 2008, 02:08 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gerardo Siere @ Jan 13 2008, 01:04 PM) *
thenks for sharing, and congratulations, you must remember why you like playing guitar, try to learn tunes you like and not those you are "suposed" to learn. I wanted to learn guitar so I could play Wish you were here, and Is there anybody out there of pink floyd, I still enjoy playing them and people still like playing or listening bach or bethooven. Keep rocking my friend

Is there anybody out there is one of the first things I learned biggrin.gif I still don't play it exactly right, but its more that I just like the way I do it than because I can't play it.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Jan 14 2008, 02:14 AM
Mate that is a rockin solo and brilliantly constructed - kudos for getting it down biggrin.gif It can be so hard to get past those mental ceilings we put in place for ourselves.

It's funny how we love to impress our parents - I can play all sorts of hard stuff well and my Dad won't blink but the other night we were at dinner and I grabbed an old acoustic and played the fingerpicking part of "I'll Follow The Sun" by the Beatles (dinky little tune in my opinion and totally easy peasy) and my Dad gets all happy and chats away to everyone about what a great musician I am and how he loves that style of music. blink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
shammy
Jan 14 2008, 03:41 AM
Ironic, I just learned that solo this weekend myself, and it felt really good as well. I'm happy for yeah man, and how fun is it to play huh. Peace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:11 AM