Cant Learn Songs Anymore?
Rob_g
Sep 6 2007, 10:13 AM
GMC:er
Its been a recent problem to me that whenever I try to learn a new song I learn a bit of it then I kinda just say to myslef this is quite boring and this wont teach me anything i dont already know. I kinda think learning songs are getting useless. Is this just a phase? I'm always thinking of new music to create all the time though, thats basicly all the motivation im getting to play guitar right now. Should I just focus on making
something new? or creating my own style?

Anywho kinda making me think a little. Has anybody had an experience like this?

Rob

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Ryan
Sep 6 2007, 10:17 AM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Sep 6 2007, 04:13 AM) *
Its been a recent problem to me that whenever I try to learn a new song I learn a bit of it then I kinda just say to myslef this is quite boring and this wont teach me anything i dont already know. I kinda think learning songs are getting useless. Is this just a phase? I'm always thinking of new music to create all the time though, thats basicly all the motivation im getting to play guitar right now. Should I just focus on making
something new? or creating my own style?

Anywho kinda making me think a little. Has anybody had an experience like this?

Rob

Learning songs from my personal experience is a beginner thing really so they can get the feel for the guitar. I dont learn anymore more songs, i jsut try and incorporate what i learn here, into my own playing!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 6 2007, 06:11 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I try to learn new songs all the time, well that comes with playing covers, but there's two ways here.

First, learn in quick and simple and play the song using the techniques you already know. Meaning it gets close but not perfect and doesn't add to your knowledge of technique.

Second and more interesting, analyse a song and learn to play it properly. Meaning you have to adopt the technique used in the original. This takes quite a few hours, days even to get it proper and this adds to your playing quite a bit in my opinion.

I can understand if you learn it quick and dirty it's not really learning, it's a sloppy look alike version and may seem less meaningful. Pretty much what I do in the rock coverband. If you on the other hand try to learn it note for note that's something else, if you don't learn from that you're already a complete player biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Sep 6 2007, 06:13 PM
+1 on what MickeM said.

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 6 2007, 06:43 PM
Also learning a hard song is no different from learning a lesson from here. For example take a had song which has lots of fast picking. That would be a alternate picking lesson giving the same benefits as a alternate picking lesson on this site. There is nothing special about alternate picking lessons here they just have lots of alternate picking which make them usefull so if you take a song with lots of the things you want to improve on it will the the same as a lesson.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 6 2007, 06:57 PM
Lets go fishing!
When i first picked up guitar i wanted to learn songs, but now i just practice GMC techniques, and techniques of my fave guitar players and its a FAR better way to go IMHO smile.gif

That said, playing your fave songs can be a good way get you started so whatever it takes to get someone playing is good smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Sep 6 2007, 06:57 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 6 2007, 07:53 PM
Dont forget that you might get some new ideas of how to make music while learning songs.

This post has been edited by Robin: Sep 6 2007, 08:06 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 6 2007, 08:00 PM
Instructor
Learning music and tunes from other artist will spread your views,
upgrade your technique and theory knowledge.
This all shall help you to make better music of your own smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 6 2007, 11:21 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 6 2007, 11:11 AM) *
Second and more interesting, analyse a song and learn to play it properly. Meaning you have to adopt the technique used in the original. This takes quite a few hours, days even to get it proper and this adds to your playing quite a bit in my opinion.

+1. To use Vai as an example (As lots of people like Vai) - he pretty much started his career transcribing, analysing and playing Zappa.

Once you've learnt a song try transposing it to other keys try changing the time signature and so on; take riffs and ideas and analyse them to see what scales/modes, arps and so on are being used and possibly why; look at when and how legato etc are used: then decide how you can incorporate them into your playing and so make them useful to you.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 7 2007, 04:45 AM
I kind of think of it in some stages.

1. Beginner- You just pick up the guitar. You want to learn anything thats anything song wise to play in front of peers and what not.

2. Intermediate- You still like playing some songs but are working on technique and some theory to start to develop your own musical ideas. This is also a stage I feel most of your improvision starts.

3. Advanced- Youve mastered quite a few techniques and your doing really good on theory. You can improv on must of the fretboard in a good amount of different keys with different scales and box shapes.

4. Pro- Youve mastered every technique you get your hands on. You wrote the book on theory and you can seemlessly go all over the fretboard and know where you are .

- Ok so thats like a rough outline of what you can be at skill level. I believe songs only help inspire musical ideas, learn different techniques and help develop ones tone as a guitarist. So playing songs wouldnt be a bad thing but dont let that be your main focus smile.gif

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Sep 7 2007, 08:39 AM
thnks guys for all your input.

Exactly what I needed to here.

+Quote Post
kebsis
Sep 8 2007, 02:02 AM
Well the most important part about learning the guitar is to have fun so...if it is boring, don't do it and find something you enjoy practicing with.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:49 AM