Gas. What Next?
Phil66
Nov 1 2015, 06:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
OK,

I have all the guitars I want, (no more room sad.gif ) and apart from changing the Epiphones for Gibsons and the Peavey Tele for a Fender Tele I'm wondering what I should aspire to next??

I've been thinking about a tube pre-amp. Would one be ok with the Boss GT-001?

I don't really need another amp, I have 2 Blackstar 4x10 cabs, a Blackstar HT 1 R head and a Vox Lil Night Train head.

I have some Tannoy 402 monitors, a Boss GT-001 with Roland EV-5 and a 24" widescreen monitor.

No point suggesting an upgrade on my PC as that is what we class as household requirements wink.gif Don't know how I managed that one but I did smile.gif

Cheers folks. Bring on the suggestions smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 1 2015, 06:53 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
24 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Mudbone
Nov 1 2015, 06:57 PM
If you like to play with clean tones, I would recommend a Fender tube amp. There's nothing quite like playing a Fender through a Fender.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2015, 07:50 PM
Thanks, but as I said I don't really need another amp, I only have one Fender (Mexican HSH).
Here's the room

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 1 2015, 07:58 PM
GMC:er
Did you ever try an analog overdrive into the GT-001?

Since I've been using one I don't think I can go back to direct into soundcard for soloing, the guitars touch sensitivity increases greatly and I use much less effort to play the same thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2015, 09:03 PM
Interesting Mertay,

I've just sold an original pre 1978 Big Muff Pi because I never used it. I'd that the type of thing you mean?

How about one of THESE? I can get a used one.

Phil

UPDATE:
I've decided to go for a VDL Hotbird to run in front of the GT-001 smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 1 2015, 09:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 1 2015, 10:22 PM
The muff is more of a distortion/fuzz type pedal almost replacing the amps tone. Overdrive is like hitting 11 when the amp is already set at 10 if we're considering shred. But take example an ehx soul food, blues guys only use it for a hardly noticable boost to sweeten their amps tone.

To be honest as long as its analog and adds some dirt its hard to go wrong. For the sake of testing, I'd recommend something affordable like a used boss sd1, ibanez ts9 or new joyo, mooer...

That Nova should also work but I have no idea if you'll like it, also it might be a bit harder to sell it later. Thing is besides the pedals tone, an overdrive must be selected for the right amp/style etc. too...

I like this video as its educative, might help; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdKjhXWpjq8

For shred, Todd's channel is cool he recently tested the tightdrive from amptweaker and you can hear how it affects the tone.

I'm sure you'll get the idea quickly, but when deciding to buy the first overdrive be aware its almost impossible to nail the right pedal at first attemt. Everybody I know including me changed or are thinking to changing their first bought overdrive pedal smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 1 2015, 08:03 PM) *
UPDATE:
I've decided to go for a VDL Hotbird to run in front of the GT-001 smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Lol thats a super aggressive sounding pedal smile.gif What I ment was more like getting the clean tone the guy is using on the video, notice the subtle breakup of the amp. Not saying it won't work but situation is like this;

Using subtle overdrive pedals; the tone itself won't sound good or atleast amp-like, but it will work with any amp sim. as it isn't doing much to the tone so you get flexability.

Using strong overdrive/fuzz pedals; Software amp must always be clean to slight breakup, you can tweak the pedals tone but can't jump to alternative distortion tones.

Just give some thought into this, if you find yourself always using a similar tone (and its like the VDL sound) than cool I nowadays only use a metalzone thats boosted with a ts9 or bb9 for shred stuff. But if you still feel like there is some room to experiment then something that lightly drive might be better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks,
I've just been talking to Ace about the pedal, he says it's very versatile, use as drive, distortion or fuzz, lots of scope for variation. I've started thinking that maybe I could use it for drive tones, the GT-001 for chorus, delay etc and Amplitube for cab sim. Also I'm thinking when I have a blast on my tube head it will work well.

Hotbird

What you reckon?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 1 2015, 10:48 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 1 2015, 11:38 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 1 2015, 09:34 PM) *
Thanks,
I've just been talking to Ace about the pedal, he says it's very versatile, use as drive, distortion or fuzz, lots of scope for variation. I've started thinking that maybe I could use it for drive tones, the GT-001 for chorus, delay etc and Amplitube for cab sim. Also I'm thinking when I have a blast on my tube head it will work well.

Hotbird

What you reckon?

As I only watched 1 video and never tried the pedal its a bit hard for me to comment much on it, but if its capable for subtle overdrive than it should work fine. Extreme settings never blend well, like if the amp is too cracked then a cranked pedal would make it fuzz or dull...its always about balancing where a majority of tone is coming and what is supporting it.

Yeah overdrive is very versatile for usage, since you have the gear can experiment with a lot of combinations (like wether the amp being analog or software). I don't know the vox but the blackstar has cab. outs so that might work well too.

The whole idea is either getting some or all drive tone before the soundcard to get a more organic experience. I still like digital stuff but slided to the analog domain simply because of the feel on the fingertips, some do it specifically for tone. I just select a cab., use some eq on computer and ready to rock as my base distortion tone is already setuped by pedals.

Like I said its really up to what budget you can use, just remembered for example Gabriel recently started endorsing Joyo pedals and he made a test video on husky drive. Joyo stuff is very affordable and good sounding for the price while that hotbird seems like nice boutiqe quality stuff.

If you check any stores avalible overdrive pedals menu the list is huge, I don't want to recommend anything specific as I can never be sure if you'll like it. Would be easier for me if you couldn't make up your mine between a few products, then I would listen to your current tone or ask what ou listen or do you aim for a specific sound in an album etc...since you're not in a rush, take some recommendation from here or your local guitar store to atleast know the popular options some I named earlyer and listen them on youtube to get some idea. If still then you'll be certain on the hotbird then go for it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2015, 07:22 AM
Thanks Mertay

I have to admit I hate trying lots of things. I always forget what the earlier things sounded like. Even written notes don't seem to help. It seems like a minefield with pedals which is why I went the multi fx route. I don't get much spare time so I try to make work what I've got or when I buy something I bite the bullet, buy something and get the best I can from it. My head is spinning just thinking of trying all the pedals wacko.gif
Cheers
Maybe I should get another guitar laugh.gif I'll find a way to fit it in smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Nov 2 2015, 07:22 AM
Wow Phil... congratulation to your guitar room... smile.gif I am envious...

... and my wife is angry because I want to buy me a second guitar!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2015, 10:06 AM
QUOTE (ChrisGLP @ Nov 2 2015, 07:22 AM) *
Wow Phil... congratulation to your guitar room... smile.gif I am envious...

... and my wife is angry because I want to buy me a second guitar!! laugh.gif

Cheers laugh.gif you need to educate her in the priorities of life wink.gif
When I got married nearly 25 years ago I didn't have a guitar. Now I have those and my wife has bought me three of them.
Maybe show her a picture of my room to show her how sensible you are. That might help persuade her wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 2 2015, 10:08 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Nov 2 2015, 10:47 AM
Thx Phil... smile.gif

I try it with the picture of your room and on the sensitive manner... laugh.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 2 2015, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 2 2015, 06:22 AM) *
Thanks Mertay

I have to admit I hate trying lots of things. I always forget what the earlier things sounded like. Even written notes don't seem to help. It seems like a minefield with pedals which is why I went the multi fx route. I don't get much spare time so I try to make work what I've got or when I buy something I bite the bullet, buy something and get the best I can from it. My head is spinning just thinking of trying all the pedals wacko.gif
Cheers
Maybe I should get another guitar laugh.gif I'll find a way to fit it in smile.gif

ok then I'll recommend a Boss sd1 smile.gif

Its affordable, very recognised, built like a tank, buffered and has a good drive range to be used with plug-ins (not too much or not too clean). Has good output so should drive anything, I think Zack wylde used it for shred and many used it for all eras of rock.

As said, its sound on its own might not please you but once you get a good sound from your amp or computer, adding this will enrich the sound.

If you ever want to upgrade its relativly easy to sell but you can also use it too boost other pedals to like the hotbird if you ever want to buy it.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 2 2015, 04:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks Mertay,

I spoke to him again later on and I asked him, "Can the Hotbird do subtle breakup?" and his answer was "Totally. It can sound like a valve Channel"

That video is interesting, thanks.

The SD1 is so cheap I might get one too. It will be a couple of weeks before I get the Hotbird so I may get the SD1 in the mean time. I have to say, the Hotbird is a piece of art, it will look lovely on my desk next to the GT-001 smile.gif You must have bought something in the past just because, well, just because laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

If you watch the three video demos, the guitars all retain their character.

I need to go the the doctors, I have GAS bad rolleyes.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 2 2015, 08:46 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 2 2015, 08:51 PM
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2015, 10:54 PM
More info HERE

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 3 2015, 12:22 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 2 2015, 09:54 PM) *
More info HERE

smile.gif

I'm starting to get a better idea after watching 3-4 times the same pedal with different guitars.

My only negative comment would be that he drived the amp a bit too much for the demonstration although its a fine sounding pedal. Being a geek, I love stuff with lots of buttons/knobs smile.gif it is well thought though, even the light colors (my guess) represents inspired units from the past.

Fuzz although sounds like distortion is definitly a different fx for the player. I don't use it much, it has such a huge sound shred style simply doesn't go with it but a lot of blues guys love it. Its less depended/sensitive to picking articulation but when the backing track is right nothing sounds as huge as a fuzz.

I think you're going to spend more time on the afterburner. Still the stuff I said before applys as first you dial your amp tone then add and adjust the overdrive. Having lots of settings option on the pedal, might become a comfort to you as you develop a defoult amp sound (analog or software) setting and adjust from the pedal as needed (for backing tracks or gain adjustments). Options may look scary at first but are always nice to have.

I agree, a boss sd1 would be nice for you to experiment while waiting. It basically has 1 sound to it unlike the option loaded hotbird so until the unit arrives you'll probably setup/chain your gear to be ready to accept the hotbird.

Also, make sure to ask about the power supplys for the pedals (battery is a hassle for home usage trust me) and don't forget extra cables. Boss power supplys are easy to find as they're very universally used (for other brands too) but the hotbird may need something special as its a boutiqe unit. Let me know if you need and help smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2015, 07:20 AM
Cheers Mertay,
Glad you're warming to the Hotbird wink.gif
I agree it sounds too driven in the demo but I thought someone with his experience wouldn't do that and maybe the producer had got some recording input set too sensitive but I might be blowing outta my ass with that laugh.gif
Cheers again

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 3 2015, 01:37 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 3 2015, 06:20 AM) *
Cheers Mertay,
Glad you're warming to the Hotbird wink.gif
I agree it sounds too driven in the demo but I thought someone with his experience wouldn't do that and maybe the producer had got some recording input set too sensitive but I might be blowing outta my ass with that laugh.gif
Cheers again

Artistically actually he isn't doing anything wrong, soundwise he gets a nice sound from the rig and it can even be driven more depending what one is looking for.

My comment was more on the marketing side, to really have some idea of the overdrives character its better not to drive the amp much as we want to hear the pedal more. Most demo's aren't made with very clean amp settings for a good reason, most overdrives aren't designed to sound good on clean amp settings.

A common negative comment from beginers who bought their first pedal is that the pedal doesn't sound like the videos, this pretty much explains the importance why not to drive the amp much on demo's.

It will sound different with your amp or computer too specially the overdrive section, probably not radically but it will. I see this as a nice thing, everybody gets their own sound smile.gif

Update edit; This is a nice video, its the more expensive version of the sd1 which is non necessary for you but should give some idea on overall overdrive usage. Further in the video he always gives the amps sound first then engages the pedal. In my experience using with soundcard makes even more difference.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 3 2015, 01:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 9 2015, 11:52 AM
Hotbird ordered. Dispatch next Monday from Italy. I'm getting signed model number 8 smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

24 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:24 PM