Gigging Abroad
Ben Higgins
Jul 11 2011, 10:03 AM
Instructor
I've never played a gig outside of England but I look forward to the days of catching the Ferry or Eurostar over to Europe and trying to find our way to the right city, the right venue, all whilst driving on the wrong side of the road ! laugh.gif Pulling in at service stations, buying strange food and laughing at funny place names on the road signs...... so much fun to be had.... biggrin.gif

How many of you have played gigs in a different country ? How was it and were there any strange culture shocks ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jul 11 2011, 10:04 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 11 2011, 10:06 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Not really on topic, but if You ever decide to play in Poland and inform me in advance, considering my financial situation won't drastically change, You will have a transport+translation+t-shirt selling help \m/ tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 11 2011, 10:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Jul 11 2011, 10:06 AM) *
Not really on topic, but if You ever decide to play in Poland and inform me in advance, considering my financial situation won't drastically change, You will have a transport+translation+t-shirt selling help \m/ tongue.gif

WOO ! Awesome !! We can live on cold tins of beans and water to keep costs down laugh.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 11 2011, 11:32 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I've been giging in Greece, Creete. Two weeks at the same pub, every night. So as you understand it was more of a trobadoure job, less of a tour wink.gif
We were two guys on electric guitars backed by a minidisc player witj MIDI songs.
A fun two weeks but I'd never do it again smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 11 2011, 12:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 11 2011, 11:32 AM) *
I've been giging in Greece, Creete. Two weeks at the same pub, every night. So as you understand it was more of a trobadoure job, less of a tour wink.gif
We were two guys on electric guitars backed by a minidisc player witj MIDI songs.
A fun two weeks but I'd never do it again smile.gif

Well that's definitely a different experience ! cool.gif

Going back to what I said about laughing at foreign place names, I always remember driving back from Germany towards Belgium and seeing a sign for 'Dong'. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Jul 11 2011, 01:21 PM
GMC:er
Never played a gig tongue.gif , but you can come to Denmark and play in my room, wouldn't that just be a dream come true? tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 11 2011, 01:53 PM
I'm going to the UK next week...hope i can catch some gigs overthere!
If i survive driving left that is......!!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 11 2011, 02:02 PM
Instructor
Let me see...
Austria, Germany, Italy, Swiss,Greece, Sweden, England, France, Czech Republic, United Arab Emirates.....can't remember, but surely there are more countries where I was playing ! unsure.gif

However, each state has different culture, behavior, food ..
Somewhere I was fascinated, somewhere disappointed, but invaluable experience in every way!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 11 2011, 03:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Jul 11 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Never played a gig tongue.gif , but you can come to Denmark and play in my room, wouldn't that just be a dream come true? tongue.gif

A dream come true for who exactly ?? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jul 11 2011, 02:02 PM) *
Let me see...
Austria, Germany, Italy, Swiss,Greece, Sweden, England, France, Czech Republic, United Arab Emirates.....can't remember, but surely there are more countries where I was playing ! unsure.gif

However, each state has different culture, behavior, food ..
Somewhere I was fascinated, somewhere disappointed, but invaluable experience in every way!

Wow, Sinisa.. that's some serious travelling you've done. The experiences are just priceless aren't they ? smile.gif I bet it was insanely hot in the UAE !!!

QUOTE (Bossie @ Jul 11 2011, 01:53 PM) *
I'm going to the UK next week...hope i can catch some gigs overthere!
If i survive driving left that is......!!! laugh.gif

I imagine roundabouts (not sure what they're called in other countries) to be very confusing driving on the other side... rolleyes.gif

Where in England are you going ?

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Jul 11 2011, 03:41 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 11 2011, 04:00 PM) *

For you! Just imagine it! "Playing in the coolest room in Denmark, after playing for 10 minutes, the neighbours will come over in rage, and kill you" isn't that just a beautiful dream? laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 11 2011, 03:59 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 11 2011, 02:00 PM) *

Wow, Sinisa.. that's some serious travelling you've done. The experiences are just priceless aren't they ? smile.gif I bet it was insanely hot in the UAE !!!

I imagine roundabouts (not sure what they're called in other countries) to be very confusing driving on the other side... rolleyes.gif

Where in England are you going ?

Especially the roundabouts!! last time i got the carhorn treatment for a couple of times..will go to Sheffield ..

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 11 2011, 04:32 PM
Instructor
Ben, at Dubai airport we were welcomed by drivers with icy towels, wrapped in a roll !!! I have not figured why . The building is air-operated, and it was pleasant. But when we went out - Apocalypse !!! Average temperature was about 45C and 100 percent humidity, all 10 days that I was there ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
brandon
Jul 11 2011, 04:54 PM
I've never played outside of the US,...with that said, I HAVE played in almost every major city in the US. So, going from Wilmington, North Carolina to Los Angeles, California which is about 3,000 miles (a little under 5,000 kilometers) can seem like a completely different country. It's still a pretty big culture shock when the landscape, people, foods, businesses, and smells are completely different than what you're used to.
I wish I had a chance to tour Europe or Japan in my younger years,....not that I'm old (only 30), but my wife and I are having a baby in September so I think that ship has sailed for me. I've had a lot of friends that have had a chance to do it though and they all say it's an amazing experience. The guitarist for my last band is actually on tour in Europe right now until July 18th with his new band. They were lucky enough to play Hell Fest again this year and I think he's currently in Germany.
One thing that seems to be a reoccurring theme for friends who have toured outside the US is the amount of respect you get in other countries versus what you get in the US. People actually come out to see your shows and really get in to it. It's a lot harder to draw a crowd in the US and American audiences seem to be more fickle about bands. At least that's what I hear. My friend that's on tour in Europe right now is so excited because they always play sold out shows, have food for them at every venue, free drinks, and a place to stay at night. All of that sounds AMAZING! No more playing to 4 people including the bar tender, living off of cans of cold Spagetti O's, and sleeping in cold rest stop parking lots. But even with that I would just like people to come hear my music and give my band a chance. I don't mind eating cold noodles or sleeping in a parking lot, I've done it enough. Having your music heard is what's important....but the other stuff is nice too. Does anyone else have any experience with this or an opinion on it?

Here's a great video of my friend's band at Hellfest. I'm amazed at how many people are there and I think he said it was at like 10am...awesome:

http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Hellfest___Valient_Thorr/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 11 2011, 05:02 PM
Instructor
I've played in many parts of my country and it is amazing! I haven't played in other country yet... Can't wait to do it!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 11 2011, 05:02 PM
Instructor
I've never played outside Romania, but if chances will stand by my side, I will have 3 materials ready with all 3 of my bands by the end of November this year and I'll send them across the world until all the promoters will run and hide in fear of the 'crazy Wolverine guitarist dude that bombards us with cds' biggrin.gif well, there is a possibility that we shall take the Mozart Rocks! concert to Ukraine, but I have no news yet.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 11 2011, 06:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (brandon @ Jul 11 2011, 04:54 PM) *
I've never played outside of the US,...with that said, I HAVE played in almost every major city in the US. So, going from Wilmington, North Carolina to Los Angeles, California which is about 3,000 miles (a little under 5,000 kilometers) can seem like a completely different country. It's still a pretty big culture shock when the landscape, people, foods, businesses, and smells are completely different than what you're used to.
I wish I had a chance to tour Europe or Japan in my younger years,....not that I'm old (only 30), but my wife and I are having a baby in September so I think that ship has sailed for me. I've had a lot of friends that have had a chance to do it though and they all say it's an amazing experience. The guitarist for my last band is actually on tour in Europe right now until July 18th with his new band. They were lucky enough to play Hell Fest again this year and I think he's currently in Germany.
One thing that seems to be a reoccurring theme for friends who have toured outside the US is the amount of respect you get in other countries versus what you get in the US. People actually come out to see your shows and really get in to it. It's a lot harder to draw a crowd in the US and American audiences seem to be more fickle about bands. At least that's what I hear. My friend that's on tour in Europe right now is so excited because they always play sold out shows, have food for them at every venue, free drinks, and a place to stay at night. All of that sounds AMAZING! No more playing to 4 people including the bar tender, living off of cans of cold Spagetti O's, and sleeping in cold rest stop parking lots. But even with that I would just like people to come hear my music and give my band a chance. I don't mind eating cold noodles or sleeping in a parking lot, I've done it enough. Having your music heard is what's important....but the other stuff is nice too. Does anyone else have any experience with this or an opinion on it?

Here's a great video of my friend's band at Hellfest. I'm amazed at how many people are there and I think he said it was at like 10am...awesome:

http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Hellfest___Valient_Thorr/

That's a really cool and interesting post Brandon and I really enjoyed reading it ! It's funny to hear that it's like that in the US because we feel like that's the case over here too, especially in bigger cities like London. I think people are almost spolit for choice so they become complacent about live music.. either that or the venue is charging way too much on the door. I don't blame people for staying home when they haven't got enough money to get through the door let alone buy a drink wink.gif

I'm totally with you on the cold spaghetti and parking lots.. whatever it takes to get it done. It's either live your dream or work in a job you hate. The luxuries would be nice but the best reward is getting the music out there to loads of people who are really enjoying it ! smile.gif

Loved the footage.. Marshall stacks and vintage rock guitars do it for me cool.gif Btw, you're noway near too old.. those guys in that band aren't exactly teenagers ! wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:50 AM