Metronoming!
mattacuk
Dec 30 2006, 01:07 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi dudes,
I am keen to start useing a metronome daily. Currently i have just been doing patterns in the first Am pentatonic box to the metronom as per the lesson. My question is, what patterns would you guys recommend I metronom to daily?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Red Tie
Dec 30 2006, 02:19 PM
GMC:er
Practice anything you need to master, like a speedlick.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Red Tie: Dec 30 2006, 02:20 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 30 2006, 03:35 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Red Tie @ Dec 30 2006, 01:19 PM) *
Practice anything you need to master, like a speedlick.

Well currently im working through the advanced pentatonic positioning lessons, so currently id like to be up to speed on this!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 30 2006, 04:31 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 30 2006, 02:35 PM) *
Well currently im working through the advanced pentatonic positioning lessons, so currently id like to be up to speed on this!!

also, what note values should I be attempting on this??thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 30 2006, 04:52 PM
GMC Founder
Pick the licks in that lesson which are hard for you - see if they are dividable by four (sixteenth notes) ot three (triplet notes) and turn the metronome on! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 30 2006, 07:11 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 30 2006, 03:52 PM) *
Pick the licks in that lesson which are hard for you - see if they are dividable by four (sixteenth notes) ot three (triplet notes) and turn the metronome on! smile.gif

Thanks for your reply Chris! good stuff. Can you please tell me what model metronome you use in the video? Its nice and loud!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 1 2007, 06:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
Kris,

At the moment I daily practice all 5 Am pentatonic Boxes, Cmajor and Eminor scales. Should I play the entire boxes to the metronome or just small sections in order to bring my speed up? smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Jan 1 2007, 06:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 2 2007, 08:20 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 1 2007, 08:00 PM) *
Kris,

At the moment I daily practice all 5 Am pentatonic Boxes, Cmajor and Eminor scales. Should I play the entire boxes to the metronome or just small sections in order to bring my speed up? smile.gif

Why not start with small sections - and then gradually play the entire boxes as your speed increases? I use a korg metronome - but anything will do...

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 3 2007, 09:04 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 2 2007, 07:20 AM) *
Why not start with small sections - and then gradually play the entire boxes as your speed increases? I use a korg metronome - but anything will do...

kris, id like to take the time to personally thankyou for answering my questions! I really appreciate the guidance. I have decided to do small sections at a time, I still have a little difficulty on deciding if to play triplet notes (3 is it) or sixteenth notes (4 ??) at a time when playing for example, C major scale n sections. Please help!

matty

--------------------

+Quote Post
raqroso
Jan 3 2007, 09:35 PM
I didn't see you mention 16th note triplets (6 notes per beat or two triplets per beat )

I'd follow whatever Kris suggests for you -

but a lot of speed licks use that timing -I practice them a lot ...I like to think they improve my timing because there are more notes in between the clicks requiring you to stay even and steady without the aid of the constant click-click-click.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 4 2007, 08:44 AM
GMC Founder
I still have a little difficulty on deciding if to play triplet notes (3 is it) or sixteenth notes (4 ??) at a time when playing for example, C major scale n sections. Please help!

The scale does not determine whether you are to play three or four notes - it entirely depends on the pattern. The metronome and speedpicking lessons should hopefully clear this out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug
Jan 10 2007, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 30 2006, 10:52 AM) *

Hey Kris,

When you say dividable by four or three is it as simple as dividing by 3 and 4? like a lick with 30 notes is only playable in triplet notes and not sixteenth notes? I'm confused smile.gif

Thanks

Doug

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 10 2007, 08:54 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Doug @ Jan 10 2007, 03:04 AM) *
Hey Kris,

When you say dividable by four or three is it as simple as dividing by 3 and 4? like a lick with 30 notes is only playable in triplet notes and not sixteenth notes? I'm confused smile.gif

Thanks

Doug

Yes it's that simple.

However, if you have a 30 note lick - it is quite likely there are different patterns in there (unless Yngwie is playing wink.gif ).

If a run has different patterns you should firts find those - and then simply divide. Hope I am making myself clear... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug
Jan 10 2007, 07:20 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 10 2007, 02:54 AM) *
Yes it's that simple.

However, if you have a 30 note lick - it is quite likely there are different patterns in there (unless Yngwie is playing wink.gif ).

If a run has different patterns you should firts find those - and then simply divide. Hope I am making myself clear... smile.gif

I think I am understanding, though i think i should just shut up and play/practice smile.gif
Your LOTD from yesterday is below:
e|-17p12----12------------------------------|
b|------- 17----17p12-17p12----12------------|
g|------------------------- 17----17p12-17p12|
d|------------------------------------------|
a|------------------------------------------|
e|------------------------------------------|

e|--------------------------------------------------------|
b|--------------------------------------------------------|
g|---12---------------------------------------------------|
d|17----17p12-17p12----12---------------------------------|
a|------------------17----17p12-17p12----12---------------|
e|------------------------------------17----17p12-17p12-17|

If i count correctly, that's 33 notes? is that considered one lick that is only playble in triplets?

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jan 10 2007, 08:59 PM
QUOTE (Doug @ Jan 10 2007, 07:20 PM) *
I think I am understanding, though i think i should just shut up and play/practice smile.gif
Your LOTD from yesterday is below:
e|-17p12----12------------------------------|
b|------- 17----17p12-17p12----12------------|
g|------------------------- 17----17p12-17p12|
d|------------------------------------------|
a|------------------------------------------|
e|------------------------------------------|

e|--------------------------------------------------------|
b|--------------------------------------------------------|
g|---12---------------------------------------------------|
d|17----17p12-17p12----12---------------------------------|
a|------------------17----17p12-17p12----12---------------|
e|------------------------------------17----17p12-17p12-17|
If i count correctly, that's 33 notes? is that considered one lick that is only playble in triplets?

you can also count the last note is a guarter note and the rest 16th notes wink.gif

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Doug
Jan 10 2007, 09:26 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jan 10 2007, 02:59 PM) *
you can also count the last note is a guarter note and the rest 16th notes wink.gif

haha..thanks. I think I'm understanding now. maybe i should have stuck to video games wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 11 2007, 08:38 AM
GMC Founder
Yes - this should be practiced as eighth notes or 16ths.

Doug: thanks for bringing it up so we could clear it out!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:48 PM