Id That Amp! Plexi?
Todd Simpson
May 5 2014, 11:18 PM
GMC:er
Use your ears only, what amp is this?

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/vintage-amp-test-single-coil-pickups

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 6 2014, 12:12 AM
Hard to say.
Sounds too compressed to be an actual late 60s or early 70s Marshall Plexi w/single coils.
Maybe a JCM (hot rodded) or one of those little Class 5's?

*I'll assume there's no pedal in the chain and it's not a modeler, software or simulation of any kind - ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 6 2014, 01:27 AM
Trick question!!! It's actually the plexi (I've not tried it until this test) from my Eleven. I've never used an actual plexi so I wanted to see how it sounded on folks who know them well.

The eleven is much vaunted for it's "vintage" section which I don't get much use out of to be honest. It's got wads tweeds and other low/mid gain amps that I just don't use much. I'm one of the few folks actually using it for crazy high stuff for which it was not evidently designed or intended.

Do you by chance have a "PLEXI" and if so can you record a quick snip with some single coils? I'm using single coils in the my little test. I've got one guitar with actual single coils. My MIJ RG560. So I've been trying the "classic" amps with them.

The plexi amps are shockingly low gain imho, considering how much hard rock I've heard that was recorded with them, I was really underwhelmed by how little gain they appear to have?

Attached Image

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 5 2014, 07:12 PM) *
Hard to say.
Sounds too compressed to be an actual late 60s or early 70s Marshall Plexi w/single coils.
Maybe a JCM (hot rodded) or one of those little Class 5's?

*I'll assume there's no pedal in the chain and it's not a modeler, software or simulation of any kind - ?

+Quote Post
Socky42
May 6 2014, 01:43 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 6 2014, 01:27 AM) *
The plexi amps are shockingly low gain imho, considering how much hard rock I've heard that was recorded with them, I was really underwhelmed by how little gain they appear to have?

I love using Axe FX plexi models for metal; great clarity in big chords and smooth as hell for leads. Really weird how your clip sounds like that even though you have half the knobs on full?

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 6 2014, 01:47 AM
At present I have 'clone' of a 4 input 1968 50 watt plexi.
It's a Blankenship Variplex ... http://www.customguitargear.com/blankenshi...amplifier-head/

You know I'm generally a single coil guy. My 'plex' will not get that much gain w/o a pedal or unless using a variac (even with 'normal' humbuckers).

I'll see if I can rig it with the variac and get that much drive out of it.

*I've never encountered a non mv Marshall (non modded either) that had that much gain. Maybe literally everything on 10 and the speakers stressing as well - ?
In the 80s I had a 100 watt super lead. By today's standards you would call that a 'clean' amp. I sold it because it just wouldn't break up (and drive pedals back then weren't what they are today).

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 6 2014, 01:58 AM
The Plexi that it's based on is actually a LOW GAIN amp. You can get distortion out of them if you really boost the crap out of the input or VARIAC them like EVH smile.gif

But this model is evidently pretty accurate relative to the gain. Also, I"m using SINGLE COIL stock pickups on the recording so very little output from the guitar.

For me my fav model in the 11R is based on the MESA BOOGIE II+ (The lead channel) thank goodness that one is in there or I"d have no use for the 11R smile.gif

QUOTE (Socky42 @ May 5 2014, 08:43 PM) *
I love using Axe FX plexi models for metal; great clarity in big chords and smooth as hell for leads. Really weird how your clip sounds like that even though you have half the knobs on full?

Thanks much!!! smile.gif I've read about folks using wads of clean boost/variac and "jumpering"? their plexi to get it to having more gain for EVH style tapping working.

I guess back in the day this was about as gainy as amps got so EVH had to pull out all the tricks to get as much lead gain as he did.

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 5 2014, 08:47 PM) *
At present I have 'clone' of a 4 input 1968 50 watt plexi.
It's a Blankenship Variplex ... http://www.customguitargear.com/blankenshi...amplifier-head/

You know I'm generally a single coil guy. My 'plex' will not get that much gain w/o a pedal or unless using a variac (even with 'normal' humbuckers).

I'll see if I can rig it with the variac and get that much drive out of it.

*I've never encountered a non mv Marshall (non modded either) that had that much gain. Maybe literally everything on 10 and the speakers stressing as well - ?
In the 80s I had a 100 watt super lead. By today's standards you would call that a 'clean' amp. I sold it because it just wouldn't break up (and drive pedals back then weren't what they are today).

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 6 2014, 03:36 AM
I can't get that much out of mine even with the volume on 10 and my variac dropping the voltage to 75 volts.
The strat is a 1983 american standard with Fralin somethings (from the mid 90s) slightly overwound 50s style pkups.
Cabinet is a closed back Z Best cab http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_best.html and I recorded it with a Tascam DR-07 (hand held with stereo condensers)
I'm into what would be the 'high-gain' input of the amp.

In this clip I start with bridge and middle pkups. At 0:15 it's bridge only and at 0:29 I switch to a Strat that has an SD 'little 59' in the bridge (and only use the bridge pkup) - you can hear more gain and lower mids. Trust me this is LOUD in the room - you can't talk over it and non guitar players would probably run away.
https://soundcloud.com/klasaine2/variplex-with-singles

Just for some comparison, here's a mini clip with the same set-up: Variplex, Zbest cab, single coil Strat but with the variac out (so 115 volts) and the volume on the amp backed down to 3 (still plenty loud for most clubs). I love this clean sound.
https://soundcloud.com/klasaine2/variplex-sans-variac

*I usually play it between 3 and 5 depending and use an OD for high gain. These amps (non mv Marshalls) take pedals great.
It's a whole other level when you put a distortion box in front of these things. Also, depending on the gainer you use, the whole EQ curve can change which is why Ritchie Blackmore on a strat with a pre-amp in front and EVH (on a strat) with the variac and channels jumpered can sound so different through non mv marshalls. Speakers and cabs also make a HUGE difference. A closed back with 4, 25 watt greenbacks will break up more.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 6 2014, 04:42 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 6 2014, 04:59 AM
Thanks very much for taking the time to record these. They all sound quite spiff!! It's a great example of what an actual PLEXI sounds like which is great because I can't tell you how many posts I've seen with folks making reference to the "Plexi" sound. Now we have some actual plexi recordings we can link to.

So with an overdrive in front, it pushes the plexi up in to early EVH type of gain? Eg. Women and children first, sort of thing?

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 5 2014, 10:36 PM) *
I can't get that much out of mine even with the volume on 10 and my variac dropping the voltage to 75 volts.
The strat is a 1983 american standard with Fralin somethings (from the mid 90s) slightly overwound 50s style pkups.
Cabinet is a closed back Z Best cab http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_best.html and I recorded it with a Tascam DR-07 (hand held with stereo condensers)
I'm into what would be the 'high-gain' input of the amp.

In this clip I start with bridge and middle pkups. At 0:15 it's bridge only and at 0:29 I switch to a Strat that has an SD 'little 59' in the bridge (and only use the bridge pkup) - you can hear more gain and lower mids. Trust me this is LOUD in the room - you can't talk over it and non guitar players would probably run away.
https://soundcloud.com/klasaine2/variplex-with-singles

Just for some comparison, here's a mini clip with the same set-up: Variplex, Zbest cab, single coil Strat but with the variac out (so 115 volts) and the volume on the amp backed down to 3 (still plenty loud for most clubs). I love this clean sound.
https://soundcloud.com/klasaine2/variplex-sans-variac

*I usually play it between 3 and 5 depending and use an OD for high gain. These amps (non mv Marshalls) take pedals great.
It's a whole other level when you put a distortion box in front of these things. Also, depending on the gainer you use, the whole EQ curve can change which is why Ritchie Blackmore on a strat with a pre-amp in front and EVH (on a strat) with the variac and channels jumpered can sound so different through non mv marshalls. Speakers and cabs also make a HUGE difference. A closed back with 4, 25 watt greenbacks will break up more.

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 6 2014, 07:44 AM
Well Ed's tone is pretty unique to him but yeah, an overdrive in front of a good non-mv marshall, Strat with a humbucker and you're definitely in earlier VH territory. *EVH used primarily 100 watt heads (a slightly different animal than a 50 watter), jumpered the channels, used a variac and (by women and children first) was having his amps worked on and tweaked. So we're getting into hot-rodded Marshall territory.

These days everybody calls any non mv marshall a Plexi - it's sounds cool (it does, I admit it). The plexiglass front panel (it isn't even plexiglass, it's an acrylic) with lettering on the front and gold sparkle paint on the back were on the amps from 1965. This model, the 1959 'super lead' had 100 watts of power (they also made 50 watters), two channels, and four inputs (1959 is circuit/model #) and had four KT66 power tubes. In 1969 they went to a metal (aluminum painted gold) face plate. The actual amp - the stuff behind the piece of plastic - changed a bit from '65 to '72 (mostly the tubes) and they're all pretty cool.
Ed's first 100 watter is from '67/'68 - the beginning of the JMP series (EL-34s and different transformers). Technically the last Plexis were 68/69 but the early 70s amps still sound like 'plexis'.

A real Plexi (well maintained) is a loud, relatively clean amp by today's higher gain standards. You can play a jazz gig on those things and sound totally authentic.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 6 2014, 10:42 AM

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 6 2014, 01:58 PM
This is the plexi?

You've got some fx on or something right? Doesn't sound like any plexi I've played.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 5 2014, 10:18 PM) *

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 8 2014, 09:17 PM
It's got wads of fx on it smile.gif Actually it's all FX. It's the PLEXI from my 11 Rack with overdrive/phaser/etc.

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 6 2014, 08:58 AM) *
This is the plexi?

You've got some fx on or something right? Doesn't sound like any plexi I've played.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 8 2014, 11:28 PM
AH HA! Cheater. . . . .

mad.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 8 2014, 08:17 PM) *
It's got wads of fx on it smile.gif Actually it's all FX. It's the PLEXI from my 11 Rack with overdrive/phaser/etc.

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:21 AM