2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Jimi Hendrix
J.E.
Oct 20 2008, 06:55 PM
GMC:er
Hi im just woundering am i a bad person to not like Jimi Hendrix music, i mean i know hes a big pioneer and i feel kinda bad for saying this but i never got used to his music i dont know why i just dont like his music:( Please dont hate me i just wanted to take it off my chest. Im woundering if you guys ever had some kind of band or artist you wished/should like but just cant?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Can you imagine?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Oct 20 2008, 07:01 PM
QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Oct 20 2008, 07:55 PM) *
Hi im just woundering am i a bad person to not like Jimi Hendrix music, i mean i know hes a big pioneer and i feel kinda bad for saying this but i never got used to his music i dont know why i just dont like his music:( Please dont hate me i just wanted to take it off my chest. Im woundering if you guys ever had some kind of band or artist you wished/should like but just cant?

actually, this is exactly how i feel aswell. I know Jimi hendrix was a great guitarist although i think he's a little overated.
He's not "number 1" in my opinion.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 20 2008, 07:05 PM
I like his songs but they never blow me away. Back in those days they may have though but I wasn't alive back then.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 20 2008, 07:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Well, if you guys can think of another guitarist else that influenced more people, gave us more technological innovations, invented more now-cliche licks, and lived more of a rock and roll lifestyle than Hendrix, be my guest tongue.gif

I can understand people not liking his music, that is perfectly fine. Keep in mind though, more than likely your biggest influences were influenced heavily by Hendrix, and whether you know it or not we all owe a lot to him smile.gif

Not trying to sound nasty in any way, so apologies if I did, but I think the above is why Hendrix, even though not everyone likes his music, is probably the greatest of all time. In my book, anyway.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 20 2008, 07:10 PM
Learning Roadie
Man this is gonna run for ages we have had the I hate Jimi thread before LOL, just you wait till a fan sees this hang on I'm a fan I love Hendrix, laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Coldplay damm they make me mad mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 20 2008, 07:13 PM
JVM i get your point and i must say i respect Hendrix but my point is i think his music was to influenced by drugs(i know almost every song in the world is influenced by drugs) but my moral view and the fact that many of his live performances were "out of tune" and he missed alot of the strings doesent add up to the good he has done. I must admit some of the songs like Little Wing and voodoo Chile is very good but i have and will always see Hendrix music as Drug/jam music. I mean im the guy who like straight stuff he were about 15 to 20 minutes of jammin and well thats just my oppinion.

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 20 2008, 07:16 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Oct 20 2008, 02:13 PM) *
JVM i get your point and i must say i respect Hendrix but my point is i think his music was to influenced by drugs(i know almost every song in the world is influenced by drugs) but my moral view and the fact that many of his live performances were "out of tune" and he missed alot of the strings doesent add up to the good he has done. I must admit some of the songs like Little Wing and voodoo Chile is very good but i have and will always see Hendrix music as Drug/jam music. I mean im the guy who like straight stuff he were about 15 to 20 minutes of jammin and well thats just my oppinion.

Thats cool, if that is your take on it. I see it a different way though. To me, he proved that even through a haze of drugs, technical ability was nothing if you had no feeling, and he had spades of it. And I don't know exactly how much a spade is, but I'm going to pretend that its a lot.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 20 2008, 07:18 PM
I totally respect that and i hope you dont see me as a bad person, im sure if i had known hendrix i would have liked him alot more, maybe i will in the future im only 16(not a brat tho:P) maybe im not ready for his music yet

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 20 2008, 07:20 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm only 18 myself.

But I think you are a horrible person! mad.gif

laugh.gif Just kidding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 20 2008, 07:21 PM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Oct 20 2008, 07:10 PM) *
Man this is gonna run for ages we have had the I hate Jimi thread before LOL, just you wait till a fan sees this hang on I'm a fan I love Hendrix, laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Coldplay damm they make me mad mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
I dont hate Hendrix im just not comfortable with his music.

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Oct 20 2008, 07:36 PM
Instructor
I understand why some people feel this way about Hendrix, the problem is that guitar playing, guitar gear, recording, everything has evolved greatly since then. Overall, guitars now sound cleaner, bigger, pretty much however you want them to sound, so we compare this modern cleaned up perfected guitar tone to Jimi's sound and we might feel Jimi wasn't all that great.

But it was his experimentation and contribution that led sound engineers to move towards a certain direction. Yes it has been slowly shaped into something better, but he established the foundations.

Have you heard SRV playing Hendrix, or Vai, with an updated sound and yes maybe a cleaner performance I will not argue with that, however as JVM already said, if it wasn't or Hendrix there wouldn't be an SRV, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani.

I will not argue that Hendrix wasn't as technical as a Paul Gilbert, but nowadays I try to think what it would take for a guitarist to just blow you away the way Hendrix did back then, and cannot think of it, Hendrix probably took the biggest step into evolving the way guitar is played today.

And yes, I myself would rather listen to Stevie Ray's Version of little wing, but we cannot take the credit from the song's creator, its pure Genious.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 20 2008, 08:49 PM
Hendrix was a great song writer and amazing ryth and chord voice player.I think his solo lines left a lot to be desired but that doesnt stop me from having an oil painting of him playing his strat in my music room-every time I look at it I am reminded to tune my guitars before recording tongue.gif

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 20 2008, 08:59 PM
Instructor
It's perfectly fine not to listen Hendrix, because if you do you will sound like - Hendrix smile.gif

Just kidding a bit, but it's a fact that his style is so distinct you can't copy him a bit without sounding just like the him. His music is great, and if you go back in time in 1960s, you will see that back then there were no music like that, and nobody played guitar like that, there were only blues, surf music, beat, pop, soft R&R and all that. And imagine how must have they felt back then when they heard his stuff! Are you experienced record was a revelation for many people back then and guess what - after nearly 40 years it still is. You can still listen to that today, and say OMG this is excellent stuff, it was raw, pure, and soulful, cause Jimi was that kind of a guy. This is just the tip of the iceberg story tho, his legacy is what lies underneath the surface so to speak, and that legacy enabled him to be considered as one of the top players of all time.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 20 2008, 09:02 PM
I think to really get Hendrix you had to be there.

Otherwise most of it is heresay. (sp?)

I'm 35. Hendrix was all before my time too. I cut my teeth on Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Its tough to go back to something like (insert Hendrix song here) and be blown away by it. The guitar hero age was ramping up when I was growning up.

Eddie, Joe Steve, Reb, George, Paul, Warren, Vito etc... They just started coming out of the wood pile by the dozens.

Poor Jimi got left behind QUICK. (IMHO)

Maybe he allowed the lead guitar idea to be the next BIG thing in rock music. I dunno.

To me if my first car was a 2008 Porsche 911 turbo I wouldnt really be feeling any automatic love for the Oldsmobile Cutlass Jetfire and Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder. (first cars with turbos according to wikipedia)

Know what I mean?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Toroso
Oct 20 2008, 09:11 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 20 2008, 02:05 PM) *
I like his songs but they never blow me away. Back in those days they may have though but I wasn't alive back then.

sigh... dry.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Hilajo
Oct 20 2008, 10:44 PM
Hi I like Jimi Hendrix but you have to get into the music if you realy wanna to feel what his songs say.
I oftn listn to him when ieI wanna hang out with some frnd of mine and even if it is not legal when I'm stoned he is the best you can listen to.
He isn't the number one he was good and his music will survive us all because he played with so much heart and feelings that was impossible. Thats my opinion smile.gif

Please don't mind failures in the text i'm not so good in english wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitar: LTD EC-1000
Amp:Line 6 Spider Valve 112

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 20 2008, 10:55 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 20 2008, 11:08 PM) *
Well, if you guys can think of another guitarist else that influenced more people, gave us more technological innovations, invented more now-cliche licks, and lived more of a rock and roll lifestyle than Hendrix, be my guest tongue.gif

Lemmy Of Motorhead laugh.gif

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 20 2008, 11:27 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 20 2008, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE (VinceG @ Oct 20 2008, 11:55 PM) *
Lemmy Of Motorhead laugh.gif

He's on bass btw wink.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Oct 20 2008, 11:39 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 20 2008, 11:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 20 2008, 06:27 PM) *
He's on bass btw wink.gif

I think he was mostly referring to the last bit tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 21 2008, 01:14 AM
Instructor
I had been thinking for years why Hendrix was everyone's hero and I just couldn't find anything impressive in his music. The moment I played his "Voodoo Chile" and "Red House" on a jam session I figured it out. I never felt stronger energy and power in any other live performance I've done (I have played about 1000 shows). His playing was so expressive and powerful and not many guitarists can feel that way when improvising. Just because he felt so "free" on stage, he was able to deliver that energy. At that time no other guitarist played with such attitude which rocks 100%. That's exactly what inspired many modern players. I could compare Malmsteen with that type of personality on stage. To me his shows are more about the energy delivered than the quality of his songs (I prefer to listen his songs on albums than live). That kind of energy is something I have never spoted when watching Petrucci and similar players (even Joe Satriani). You might dissagree but that's just what I see. They all play Jimi's songs live because they want to feel the same way on stage but I don't think they have as much fun as he had smile.gif

here is the legend Live At WOODSTOCK

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IHC9bxQkLCQ

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Oct 21 2008, 01:16 AM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:20 AM