Strange Buzz/hum On E String
hostel
Jan 1 2008, 04:08 PM
GMC:er
When i am hitting the 6->24 fret on the high e string i get a strange guzz, like to tones. It is much clearer when i have much distortion.
Some of the frets works but not all.

With clean sound i cant here it.

Is it my guitar or my amp?

It could be that the string touches another fret but it is not that kind of sound. The tone still rings out and stays for awhalie but with like to different notes in it.

I have got an line 6 amp - spider series.

Thank you in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 1 2008, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Usually it's fret noise but also might be some sort of resonance,
like something touching speaker or amp and creates it,just an idea.
But since it's only on high E and you can't hear it on clean
than I suppose action of high E is bit too low.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 3 2008, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Try to raise the bridge of your guitar just a little bit from the low E-string side, see if that helps smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jan 4 2008, 01:35 PM
Instructor
first of all try to understand if you can hear the noise with the guitar unplugged, to discard resonance, vibration problem from other gear, anyway If this problem appeared suddenly, could be a raised fret duo to climatic change or moisture or heavy use of fretboard cleaner (mine rised at 13 fret after wiping the fretboard with lemon oil), look close to all the fret from the buzz area till the end, looking from both side of the fretboard, and try to spot a raised fret, if so, it will need some hammer fix from a liuther, try this before alter your current setting, because rising the bridge will alter intonation too!

Joe Kataldo

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2008, 03:44 PM
Instructor
Thats fret buzzing my friend, try to play dry, and if you hear it it is definately it. Some of the frets has been wared down. Try to polish them in the repair shop.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 4 2008, 04:05 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (hostel @ Jan 1 2008, 04:08 PM) *
When i am hitting the 6->24 fret on the high e string i get a strange guzz, like to tones. It is much clearer when i have much distortion.
Some of the frets works but not all.

With clean sound i cant here it.

Is it my guitar or my amp?

It could be that the string touches another fret but it is not that kind of sound. The tone still rings out and stays for awhalie but with like to different notes in it.

I have got an line 6 amp - spider series.

Thank you in advance

Like said before, fret buzz seems likely. That could be from different reasons like
- warped neck where the side the thing E string sits on has risen
- Banana neck, but not likely since that should affect all strings

What I think you should check right away is if the lower side of the bridge is sitting too low. The bridge is likely to have two screws to adjust the height, perhaps the upper one (thing E) is correct while the lower one is too low making the thin E buzz towards the frets.
So watch the bridge to see it it's in sitting in level, or just try raising it a little bit on the low end if you're unsure of how to see if it's wrong.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:16 PM