Good News And Band News
mattacuk
Jun 8 2007, 08:54 PM
Lets go fishing!
The good news is, the hours and hours spent practicing to a metronome is really starting to pay off. I feel very in control, my speed has picked up no end, and my tone is clean biggrin.gif My Alt picking and sweeping is really taking off the most.

The bad news, im getting some pain in my left hand index finger, in particular the middle joint. Usually if i warm up slowly this goes away while i practice. But today I did 2 hours sweep arpeggios and 1 hour Alt picking than my hand just felt to painful to continue on sad.gif

Advice pleae? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 8 2007, 08:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Is it just random pain? Or when you stretch your fingers, or what? Could it be unrelated to guitar (had to ask tongue.gif)?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 8 2007, 09:21 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Giiiihhh... Sorry, no replies to to the pain thingy. I though you had some info on a band you joined or something... that,s why I popped in here, after all the subject says "band news" unsure.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 8 2007, 10:52 PM
Lets go fishing!
oops i meant bad news! The pain happens after many hours practice! I warm up proprerly, and always sit correctly so i just dont know!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 9 2007, 12:36 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 8 2007, 09:54 PM) *
The bad news, im getting some pain in my left hand index finger, in particular the middle joint. Usually if i warm up slowly this goes away while i practice. But today I did 2 hours sweep arpeggios and 1 hour Alt picking than my hand just felt to painful to continue on sad.gif

Advice pleae? smile.gif

I experience the same thing, you beat me to posting it.
My observations are that I get that when I practise with stretches over more frets than usual. Like in Gabriels Iron Maiden like lesson. So my guess was that it's just from streching out tendons in a way they aren't used to. But thats my guess. Any input is welcome. I don't want to hurt myself and not be able to play.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jun 9 2007, 12:41 AM
Instructor
It's difficult to say exactly what's wrong since I haven't seen you play, but I can tell you this: If you feel pain - then stop immediately, coz something definitely is wrong! Playing guitar shouldn't be painful.

My best guess is that you're too tense, so try to shake the tension off every other minute or so.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 9 2007, 01:15 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (lavendell @ Jun 9 2007, 12:41 AM) *
It's difficult to say exactly what's wrong since I haven't seen you play, but I can tell you this: If you feel pain - then stop immediately, coz something definitely is wrong! Playing guitar shouldn't be painful.

My best guess is that you're too tense, so try to shake the tension off every other minute or so.

I think you may be right, I tend to go all out with metronome practice, for instance i will sit there and practing a certain sweep arpeggio for say half and hour without stopping. Maybe i need more breaks in between! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marraboy
Jun 11 2007, 12:38 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 9 2007, 01:15 PM) *
I think you may be right, I tend to go all out with metronome practice, for instance i will sit there and practing a certain sweep arpeggio for say half and hour without stopping. Maybe i need more breaks in between! smile.gif

I think you need to take more rests dude! It sounds like repetative strain injury to me (the same with PC keyboard use). If you don't take rests you WILL suffer in the long run.

All muscles need to rest - and if you rest more frequently they are likely to get stronger without damage.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 11 2007, 02:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Marraboy @ Jun 11 2007, 12:38 PM) *
I think you need to take more rests dude! It sounds like repetative strain injury to me (the same with PC keyboard use). If you don't take rests you WILL suffer in the long run.

All muscles need to rest - and if you rest more frequently they are likely to get stronger without damage.

yeah i have an itchy feeling its just a bit of RSi, but guitar is so addictive blink.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:32 PM