Jcm 800 Combos
Brandon Earman
May 4 2011, 02:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Howdy GMC..

Can anyone comment on the JCM 800 combos, compared to the JCM heads? I love that classic "JCM 800 tone" but the head and cabinet setup is a little out of my price range, plus I don't need that power and loudness. However the 1x12 or 2x12 would be more suitable for small gigs and jamming with friends.

Here's a link to one on eBay.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Marshall-JCM-8...=item2eb4f6a502

Any insight would be appreciated =)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 4 2011, 05:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I remember theres a reason why the combos are cheaper than the heads. I'm not quite sure, but there is a possibility it has a slightly different tone stack, don't quote me on this tongue.gif With that being said, it doesn't mean it sounds bad. On the contrary, it could sound even better. A good example of that is the Peavey 5150 II combo, some people claim it sounds better than the regular 5150 II because the gain channel utilizes the same tone stack as the regular 5150.

One crucial thing you have to keep in mind with old gear - the price goes along with the hype, not the actual sound quality. Theres some great gear out there that for the longest time was going for really cheap but had no hype. One such example is the Peavey Rockmaster preamp. They could be found for as low as $50, but now its difficult to find one for less than $200.

I'm actually curious about this JCM 800 combo now... I'm gonna look into it biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 4 2011, 07:08 PM
Instructor
That JCM800 combo will be just as powerful and loud as the head+cab, they usually feature same wattage, and 2 speakers will deliver considerable amount of dB. Only thing that will lack a bit compared to 412 cab is low end and punch (dynamics).

features on this amp are low as well. It doesn't have FX loop, so there is no way to utilize JCM distortion and add a delay or something similar.

In addition to that, this 212 combo is heavy as hell, so not very transportable.

However, it does feature great crunch tone, the best. Not sure about clean and hi-gain tho. Clean is not that great, and hi-gain possibly with some pedal.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
May 4 2011, 07:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow guys, thanks for the input. It sucks with no FX loop, a delay would be a must. I want that sweet Marshall crunch with smooth delay, to make the guitar really cry smile.gif

But it would still be a sweet amp regardless.

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2011, 09:07 PM
Instructor
I didn't try it but I always prefer the sound that you can get with a head + cabinet than a combo. However it depends on the place where you are going to play. If you have to play at a small bar you'll get a better sound with a combo than with a head + cabinet setup.
At the same time you could connect the combo to a 4x12 cabinet when you need it. So that's your decision. I think that both amps should sound very very similar. (talking about the amp, the cabinet is very important in the final sound that you get so you'll hear a big difference between a combo, a 2x12 cab and a 4x12 cab)

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: May 5 2011, 02:26 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 5 2011, 12:55 AM
GMC:er
A nice cabinet is hard to beat for tone/volume especially when jamming with your band. However, a nice Marshall combo will sound great and keep up with the drums and such for volume. If it's more for practice/home recording, you won't miss the cabinet as much. If its for live, you mostly end up sounding like the mic/pa rather than the cabinet as they mic one cone, not all four and you don't get any "room tone" as your playing through a PA. So live it won't matter as much. Jamming in a practice space, you'd notice the diff in tone not so much volume. Home use, probably fine.

Todd

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 5 2011, 09:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
All I can share in the matter is that a friend of mine had one, I never heard it since it was before we knew eachother. Early 90's maybe.According to him it sounded like crap. laugh.gif He's quite picky about his tone and actually prefered the grit of a 8080 (or whatever the model was called, preamp tube, stereo, 2x40 watts) before the jcm combo.
Idk, maybe it was different from the heads???

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 6 2011, 10:04 AM
Instructor
This amp is no doubt great, but one-dimensional amp. There is no other sound but Marshall crunch on it, so for any lead tones there would definitely have to be some pedals involved.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:43 AM