Daniel Realpe
Jun 25 2010, 04:36 PM
Instructor
Nocturnal Ballad Collab

No. of participants: 18

Attached File  Nocturnal__FINAL_MIX.mp3 ( 15.95MB ) Number of downloads: 384

These are some comments I made on your takes:

- Todd: 0:00 – 0:38

The use of harmony resembles 80’s metal quite a lot, so I love it!
I think you have develop a good musical sense for this type of music which is reflected in your take. I can tell you have a great technique, I also like that a lot. You have a great sense of melody!

One thing I would suggest is to improve the intonation on this one because I can feel it’s a little out of tune.

Thank you for taking part Todd!

- Skenn: 0:38 – 1:18

I love the beginning! Very thoughtful? Reflective? Are you a sensitive guy? biggrin.gif
You preserved the original idea throughout which is great on a solo and gives it meaning, good job!

On the harmony, I would say, at the end the 4ths or 5ths seem to be a little outside from the overall idea. At the beginning it sounds good to me but in the latter part it’s when it goes outside a little, imo.

I think your tone goes really well with the music,

Thanks for participating!

- Sirjamsalot: 1:18 – 1:57

I like the kind of rawness, visceral playing in your pentatonic run, I mean it! Don’t lose that! I mean it’s great to achieve a great technique but great feeling either happens or not, imo.

I like your tone, a little sharp but still not bright. There’s something about your take, I really liked it.
Make sure you edit the noise, or use a noise gate in your recordings.

- Keilnoth: 1:57 – 2:36

The feeling stands out in the simplicity of your take! Very expressive! I would say, thank you for that! The tone reminds me of a very classic sound, 70’sish?

The reiterative exposition of the same idea is a good thing in this example, imo. It gives it emphasis and makes it come out very expressive.

Thank you for participating!

- Ruben: 2:36 – 3:15

You start off with a nice clear idea that I really enjoyed. Half way you kind of let lose some tension. I would suggest that you use other rhythmic figures to add variation to the take. Maybe some triplets, maybe silences, jazzy 8th notes, etc.

The tone sounds good to me, very sharp, rocking!

- Kepler: 3:15 – 3:54

The melodic idea that you develop throughout the solo is awesome! Man, I’ll just say: Great solo!
I can tell you put an effort on it and thought,
That tapped part! Proof that a simple idea can move one’s guts, hehehe

Thank you for taking part!

- James T: 3:54 – 4:33

Another great job! You guys did great. I really liked the fast ascending scale.

The overall melodic direction is clear and meaningful, your bendings have great feeling, you have a nice tone.

- Berglmir: 4:33 – 5:14

A very rocking tone! It stands out! I can picture you in front of 50.000 people doing this solo with a flying V or something, heheh
Nice harmonics! Nice bendings! Oh, the repeated blues lick! I loved it, and then the minor lick.

I would polish the ending it sounds kind of “too” improvised. Overall, a great solo!

- DenisM: 5:14 – 5:54

Nice use of that major 7th in the middle! Gives it that neo-classical side. Nice use of passing notes also, you took some risks here and got away with it! A really nice take!

You organized your ideas quite clearly, created silences and all, started phrases at great points rhythmically, nice job!

I love the smoothness of the tone.

- Arctic: 5:54 – 6:33

I love the tone! Very sweet, goes along pretty good! Nice idea to start with those cut phrases, it’s a nice preparation. The fast ascending scale needs to be a little cleaner. I think that’s 3notes per string? There are plenty of exercises and lessons you can use to better that.

It was a good idea to use it there, imo. Nice ending, rounds up the solo pretty nicely.

- Gitarrero: 6:33 – 7:13

You used a flangerized distortion on this one, props for taking that risk!

I like the way you make stops and make clear where each phrase starts and ends. I would’ve added a little more bending and vibrato. If you notice, there’s not much of that. Try getting more aggressive with those two techniques and you’ll see your playing starts to sound a lot more expressive.

- Keep Rocking: 7:13 – 7:51

Nice harmony at the beginning! You picked the right notes and it sounds quite rocking! The blues licks are a nice contrast and are well executed. You even used arpeggios at the end! Nice!

I love the contrast you created between parts using different techniques and scales,

I would say that the tone feels too filtered, it’s nice because it’s very clear but it could use more presence or brightness perhaps, although that’s a matter of tastes too,

- Kaznie: 7:51 – 8:31

I like the way your started out, very expressive. You exposed a very clear musical idea. When you do the faster scale it sounds a little off rhythm, so pay attention to those types of runs. But then when you do the really fast scale, it feels more on time, so I would say that you should focus on mid-tempos first.

The use of delay goes along pretty good with your solo, so nice choice, and your distortion is clear and crisp. I would say that you take the risk and use more vibrato and bendings once in a while, to add more expression to the overall feel because I feel there’s a lack of that.

Thank you for Participating!

- Empantheboy: 8:31 – 8:56

Very cool blues sound! And the overall feel is very sentimental, imo, which is great!
You took your time and treated the notes very gently.

You didn’t render the whole thing! It’s abruptly cut at the end, make sure you do that right on future recordings, I say that from experience, been there,

Thanks for taking part!

- Leedbreak: 8:56 – 9:35

I like the way you arranged your phrases, I can tell you had it clear in your head what direction you wanted to take.
A couple things: Your timing feels a little insecure and rushed, it’s better to use simpler ideas that are very clear than trying to fill the time with many notes,

The timbre of the guitar feels small, I don’t know if you went for it intentionally but my preference would’ve been a big, grandiose style type of sound.

- MigeZ: 9:35 – 10:13

Lots of feeling in this one! You took the risk doing vibratos and bendings! Your take kind of has a direct-in your face attitude which I enjoyed very much. What kind of mood were you in when recording? hehe

I can tell you just let loose on this one! The tone is also very crisp and it stands out,

- JVM: 10:13 – 10:51

I read about your circumstances during the recording, which is quite obvious in the timbre, hehe
Let’s hope for next one you are able to run your guitar through an amp,

You went for the rocking route and then did a little minor reflective part, that can be a good contrast. I would say that you need to make it more clear where you are ending a phrase and when you are starting a new one. This is related to timing, be very conscious of timing in music!

- Daniel Realpe: 10:51 - end

I took a good hour to make this solo. I started with a very melodic idea but then I couldn’t stop from going the shred route, I made use of the tapped descending scale in the style of Steve Vai. Nevertheless I tried to make it very clear where every part fitted in within the solo. I even used a little harmony and a blues lick at the end.

I took the notes that were being played in the chords and built upon them!
I screwed up at the end so I kind of made fun of it with the bar, I just left because it felt very spontaneous.

Thank you everyone for being part of this collab, I had a lot fun doing it and listening and commenting on your takes! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Jun 26 2010, 12:04 AM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
TheKeplerConject...
Jun 25 2010, 04:52 PM
GMC:er
Thanks man. Your take was sick! Good job everyone!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 25 2010, 05:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TheKeplerConjecture @ Jun 25 2010, 04:52 PM) *
Thanks man. Your take was sick! Good job everyone!

thank you Kepler!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jun 26 2010, 03:06 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jun 25 2010, 05:36 PM) *
Nocturnal Ballad Collab

- Berglmir: 4:33 – 5:14

A very rocking tone! It stands out! I can picture you in front of 50.000 people doing this solo with a flying V or something, heheh
Nice harmonics! Nice bendings! Oh, the repeated blues lick! I loved it, and then the minor lick.

I would polish the ending it sounds kind of “too” improvised. Overall, a great solo!

WOW! What a nice thing to say - I´m honoured sir! wink.gif
Looking forward to your next collab & thanks for your effort!!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 26 2010, 04:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Jun 26 2010, 03:06 PM) *
WOW! What a nice thing to say - I´m honoured sir! wink.gif
Looking forward to your next collab & thanks for your effort!!

I t was nice to have you!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 26 2010, 04:30 PM
Turned out great! Good job everyone! I'm a big fan of metal and 80's metal so I usually put that in to playing. This track was perfect for it smile.gif A killer backing and very fun to solo over.

Todd

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 26 2010, 04:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 26 2010, 04:30 PM) *
Turned out great! Good job everyone! I'm a big fan of metal and 80's metal so I usually put that in to playing. This track was perfect for it smile.gif A killer backing and very fun to solo over.

Todd

Thank you for sharing that great take dude!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 26 2010, 06:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Daniel,

Thanks for investing so much time putting together the final mix, adding comments and participating your self. It was a great exercise to hear all the takes alongside the comments for each take as it really helped to hear what the comments were aimed at. I'm very impressed with all the great playing - there's a lot great *feel* going on with many of the takes - the bar was set pretty high, imo, and you did a great job of hurdling it - job secure! wink.gif

Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 26 2010, 09:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jun 26 2010, 06:36 PM) *
Daniel,

Thanks for investing so much time putting together the final mix, adding comments and participating your self. It was a great exercise to hear all the takes alongside the comments for each take as it really helped to hear what the comments were aimed at. I'm very impressed with all the great playing - there's a lot great *feel* going on with many of the takes - the bar was set pretty high, imo, and you did a great job of hurdling it - job secure! wink.gif

Christian A.

Thanks a lot Chris!

It was great to have you!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 27 2010, 02:04 AM
Learning Roadie
Great job everyone! Another monstrous collab. Thank you for the comments Daniel, I think I am focusing too much perhaps on connecting all the phrases in a nice way, but I can definitely see now how that can be both good and bad, if they're all too well connected then it can all sound like a long run on sentence! Partly due to the rush manner in which I recorded it though, maybe next collaboration I'll sit down and compose a solo instead of improvising.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 27 2010, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 27 2010, 02:04 AM) *
Great job everyone! Another monstrous collab. Thank you for the comments Daniel, I think I am focusing too much perhaps on connecting all the phrases in a nice way, but I can definitely see now how that can be both good and bad, if they're all too well connected then it can all sound like a long run on sentence! Partly due to the rush manner in which I recorded it though, maybe next collaboration I'll sit down and compose a solo instead of improvising.

well, it can be a bad thing if you end up separating things too much, it's good to make it sound unified,

Thank you for collaborating!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
MigeZ
Jun 27 2010, 09:02 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jun 25 2010, 06:36 PM) *
Nocturnal Ballad Collab

- MigeZ: 9:35 – 10:13

Lots of feeling in this one! You took the risk doing vibratos and bendings! Your take kind of has a direct-in your face attitude which I enjoyed very much. What kind of mood were you in when recording? hehe

I can tell you just let loose on this one! The tone is also very crisp and it stands out,

Thanks for the comments man, much appreciated. Well I recorded this solo after having the most amazing one night stand ever in a party the day before, so you can pretty much guess where my inspiration to this came. And don't even get started about the mood laugh.gif The tone imo sounds better live while playing on stage etc than recorded but it worked out pretty well. Waiting for your next collab, they're the best.
Cheers mate

--------------------
MigeZ
What doesn't kill you
Will only make you stronger

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 27 2010, 09:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jun 27 2010, 10:23 AM) *
well, it can be a bad thing if you end up separating things too much, it's good to make it sound unified,

Thank you for collaborating!

True also, everything good in moderation, but listening to some of my solo, it probably could have benefited from some silence in a part or two.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
arctic1234
Jun 27 2010, 10:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks a lot for the nice comment! I really enjoyed this collab, and I believe everyone did an excellent work! When it comes to my playing, I have started exercising a lot on the fast runs, and I'm really making some progress. smile.gif

Anyway, thanks a lot for putting together this wonderful collab, and I'm really looking forward to do one more of these soon! smile.gif

--------------------

"Fake it ´til you make it"

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 28 2010, 01:51 AM
Learning Roadie
Awesome takes guys!! I wish I had been able to participate - but as I told Daniel, I let the date sneak up on me while I was away from my guitar on vacation! biggrin.gif laugh.gif Everybody did so well! Daniel, the ending made me smile!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jun 28 2010, 02:48 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks Daniel for putting this fab collab together!
I really enjoyed listening to this. All the takes were amazing! Even mine sounded pretty decent! laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 28 2010, 11:57 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you liked my flangerized distortion!
Cool collab once again, can't wait for the next one.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 28 2010, 04:38 PM
Instructor
thanks so much for taking part guys!

You really did good!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
Jun 28 2010, 05:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Congrats everyone and thank you for the feedback Daniel.
Now I'm gonna listen to this final mix in my car until my wife gets crazy biggrin.gif and yell to me.
See you on next collab.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 28 2010, 06:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keep_Rocking @ Jun 28 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Congrats everyone and thank you for the feedback Daniel.
Now I'm gonna listen to this final mix in my car until my wife gets crazy biggrin.gif and yell to me.
See you on next collab.

hahahah, that's gonna be a lot of fun for her

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:39 AM