How To Approach Slides Mid-solo?
CianO
Apr 21 2010, 07:34 PM
GMC:er
Hey all,

I'm currently slowly tackling the Symphony of Destruction lesson, which has one of Marty Friedman's lightning solos in it, still only up to about half the pace on the solo at this stage!

I don't think I'll struggle too badly building up my speed along the bends, arepggios, hammer-ons and pull offs, but Im struggling with the high tempo slides in the middle of the solo.

The slides are executed over 7 or 8 frets in some cases, and only done with the fingers, no glass/metal slide is used. The problem I'm seeing, even at low bpms, is consistantly nailing the distance of the slide when way up the neck.

When sliding from e.g 14th fret to 21st fret (using little finger), even at low tempos, i'm only landing on the 21st fret 75% of the time. When under/over shooting it, its' very audible to the point it ruins the solo for me.

Anyone got any tips for nailing the right note every time?

Fast fret/new strings/solid calluses on fingertips/slow it down more/build up the pinky finger strength?????

Any help appreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by CianO: Apr 21 2010, 07:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
jstcrsn
Apr 21 2010, 09:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (CianO @ Apr 21 2010, 07:34 PM) *
Hey all,

I'm currently slowly tackling the Symphony of Destruction lesson, which has one of Marty Friedman's lightning solos in it, still only up to about half the pace on the solo at this stage!

I don't think I'll struggle too badly building up my speed along the bends, arepggios, hammer-ons and pull offs, but Im struggling with the high tempo slides in the middle of the solo.

The slides are executed over 7 or 8 frets in some cases, and only done with the fingers, no glass/metal slide is used. The problem I'm seeing, even at low bpms, is consistantly nailing the distance of the slide when way up the neck.

When sliding from e.g 14th fret to 21st fret (using little finger), even at low tempos, i'm only landing on the 21st fret 75% of the time. When under/over shooting it, its' very audible to the point it ruins the solo for me.

Anyone got any tips for nailing the right note every time?

Fast fret/new strings/solid calluses on fingertips/slow it down more/build up the pinky finger strength?????

Any help appreciated!

hope this doesn't discourage you
if you can't play it slow you won't play it fast
just keep practicing until you can do it every time
however some times you want to practice it faster then you can play it- but not for too long a time - just too get your ear hearing it fast
if you pratice faster then you can play it 100% for too long, you can actually start teaching yourself to make mistakes
and if you teach yourself how to make mistakes you will have a much harder time fixing that
speed will come with perfection but perfection will not come with speed
hope this helps

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 21 2010, 10:13 PM
Instructor
I don't know if you've done this but try doing the slide some hundreds of times by itself, the gradually add a couple of notes before it, and then other 2 and so on,

another thing is to practice one fret slides and get the feel of it, the 2 frets, get the feel of that, then 3 ...and so on

you'll soon have the feel of every interval in your fingers. Don't forget to do it on diferent sections of the guitar where frets are differently spaced

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 22 2010, 04:17 AM
This needs precision that only comes with practice. Don't hurry up, try to focus and practice first with 1 fret, and then, add frets gradually as you achieve correct slides stops

+Quote Post
Arrival
May 3 2010, 10:50 PM
Make sure your eyes are focused on where the slide will end. You'll get it eventually.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 4 2010, 01:45 AM
This is a great question and some great replies! One thing to try is always focus on the landing when you are sliding. The first finger that you plant on the fret board when you are sliding is critical. Focus on the first finger to land in each position. Even if you sort of mush up the rest at first, focus on landing one finger on the right fret. Eventually you can add the other fingers. It starts with being able to land in a solid way on your intending stopping point.

Try running some drills where you take a basic scale shape and land it at various frets at random just to see if you can plant it cleanly.

Practice!
Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:16 AM