So Your Guitar Won't Stay In Tune When You Use Your Whammy?, Here's my tip
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 17 2009, 03:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
I actually meant to write this some time ago, but never got around to it. I have seen several threads on people complaining about their whammy bar. Mainly that the guitar goes out of tune, when they're using it. I had the same problems some good time ago. It just didn't fall back in place correctly.

I tried a few things, and came up with something that works for me, and it may also work for you.

First thing I did was to get my floyd rose system to be a little below horizontal with the body of the guitar. Not very much, only 1-2 mm. I knew that when I'd use the floyd rose it would fall back into that position, it would be about horizontal with the body. I came to that conclusion after having had the floyd rose horizontal in the beginning, and when I used it, it would end up a little above horizontal.

First thing I did after having it a little below horizontal was simply to tune it perfectly to EADGBE. When I then used the whammy for a dive and it didn't go back into the same position, it was also out of tune, a little on the lower side. So I would tune it again, and maybe dive again and tune again a few times. Eventually it ended up with falling into that magical position, where it kept coming back to the same position, and kept staying in tune.

Of course now I can't use the whammy bar to raise the pitch or do an opposite dive, because then you would have the opposite problem with the whammy ending up in the first position where you initially had the problem. But as long as you only bang your whammy downwards, there seems to be no problems, and I haven't always been completely gentle with mine.

The guitar might need some minor intonation adjustments afterwards, but I never got around to doing that, as it wasn't that needed it seemed.

Might be a solution if you have the same problem, though a completely original floyd rose might work wonders too.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
ZakkWylde
Jan 17 2009, 03:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
Your tip is basicly how to set up a floyd rose style bridge in general!!! It should always be like this!

The problem most people have with cheaper floyd rose style tremolos is that even when they are set up right like you described, they go out of tune because of cheap quality parts. I had a Jackson with a licensed floyd rose that was set up perfectly but went out of tune even when I wasn't even playing it (was a very cheap guitar)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 17 2009, 03:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well, as said, it is not set up completely right still then, as if I do an opposite dive it goes out of tune as well. Whenever I did take it to a guitar shop (some with about 30 years of experience) they would set it up so that when I used it it would go out of tune, so I tried just using it, making it go out of tune then re-tune.

My floyd rose is just a cheap licensed under FR, by the way.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 17 2009, 05:15 PM
Instructor
Very useful post man.
Thanks!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 18 2009, 11:20 AM
Instructor
Thanks for the tip Caelumamittendum!

PS. your youtube videos are cool! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 18 2009, 02:01 PM
Instructor
Thanks for this useful tip Ben ! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:49 AM