13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Applied Music Theory Workout, for every level!
Lester
Jan 15 2016, 10:13 AM
Learning Roadie
May I also add that I think this format of theory learning is really useful!
So thanks Gabe, and good job for who came up with the idea (Phil, was it?) biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2016, 04:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2016, 06:26 PM) *
Ok another take, I think this is a good way of ear training too. As this is a new scale shape for me and for years I've used another pentatonic shape my fingers still go to the old places rolleyes.gif The thing is, I notice that it sounds off now smile.gif

It's just an improvisation, I find it hard to come up with different things for the same backing so this is good practise to overcome those chains wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-3

Thanks for this workout Gab, It's brilliant and a great pace to give us time to think and absorb what we are actually playing note wise smile.gif

Nice take mate! This is obviously having a good impact in your playing, phrasing and ear training thanks to the focus and analysis that you are doing while practicing.

You need to experiment with different rhythms to get new ideas. Even not sure if the phrase will be cool, try totally different rhythms and note lengths. I recommend an exercise:

- Limit your phrases to 4 notes and try all the possible rhythms that you can imagine over the backing track. The possibilities should be endless.

QUOTE (Lester @ Jan 14 2016, 08:10 PM) *
Allright, here is my jam in A major pentatonic, thanks for the feedback! smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/lester-moorman/task-2-jam-in-a-maj-pentatonic

Good job Lester! Your phrasing sounds tasty. You are going on the right track with this. Just keep on experimenting with this things in mind:

- Try more rhythm variation. Most of your phrases include 16th notes, try other note values.
- Incorporate some other technique to your phrasing: slides, legato, more bend, vibrato, etc.
- Give more dynamics to your phrases.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jan 15 2016, 04:40 PM
Learning Roadie
This time I only used the one A major pentatonic shape you gave us Gab and tried to stayed on chord notes if there is a longer note.

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt1-2

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 15 2016, 09:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Another one Gab, I'm amazed at my ears noticing when I play a "wrong" note. This workshop is great, pace is perfect for experimenting which = developing smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-4

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2016, 09:53 PM
Another one Gab,
Sorry for posting so many but I'm really enjoying this and want to hammer it into my head biggrin.gif Some of the playing is what I call "nursery rhyme like" from around 0:18-20 but I was just experimenting. I tried to bend to the next note in the scale in parts, I also added some high string double stops. If you get time it would be great if you could record a piece of your own with many different types of rhythm just to inspire us and give us ideas wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-5

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 18 2016, 09:02 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2016, 01:45 AM
Instructor
Well done Tom and Phil! Your takes sound very musical!

Tom, your improvisation has become much more musical now that you have worked in 1 part of the neck. I feel that your phrasing is more consistent now. This is something to have in mind for future soloing, maybe the necessity of moving can make you lose focus on phrases.

Phil, it's cool to see you experimenting with different elements and rhythms. Your soloing is also becoming more musical so you are on the right track.

I'll be back with news. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 18 2016, 08:19 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 18 2016, 12:45 AM) *
I'll be back with news. wink.gif

Intriguing smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 18 2016, 01:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi

i do a short video while jam on this backtrack, i do not try to do a perfect take.

these day i do not play as i can do, maybe a small guitar burn..... i'll take 2 days of "vacations"

this is the crime:

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2016, 02:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 18 2016, 09:16 AM) *
Hi

i do a short video while jam on this backtrack, i do not try to do a perfect take.

these day i do not play as i can do, maybe a small guitar burn..... i'll take 2 days of "vacations"

this is the crime:

Laurent

Cool phrasing laurent. You look comfortable with this backing track. My favorite section is the first half where your phrases are shorter and more defined. Then, I feel that you need more rhythm variation, and silences to let your phrasing breath in some parts.

Have a nice vacation!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 18 2016, 02:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Cool phrasing laurent. You look comfortable with this backing track. My favorite section is the first half where your phrases are shorter and more defined. Then, I feel that you need more rhythm variation, and silences to let your phrasing breath in some parts.

Have a nice vacation!

i don't kwno if i can have guitar vacation............. i'll try to do not touch any one

About his take, yes the first half is not bad, but i fill the other one with c***t

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Jan 18 2016, 05:58 PM
GMC:er
Here a bit of practice. I tried to stay with the given notes of the scale provided but I found it hard to use a major pentatonic and not a 3 note per string pattern, especially with timing, repeating certain phrases unconsciously, and getting a faster phrase in timing. I left the warts and all in instead of trying to overdub them out. I fell off time at times and lost it here and there.

I also made a small edit to the backing track. I added four measures of the backing to the front end as a rhythm intro rather than trying to start immediately or starting a 4 measure section off and being somewhat out of sync with the drum loop as far as phrasing goes.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/amajor1

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Jan 19 2016, 01:47 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 18 2016, 09:11 PM
Take 6.

I was feeling happy and I think it comes through as good as it can with my current skill set.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-6

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2016, 02:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Jan 18 2016, 01:58 PM) *
Here a bit of practice. I tried to stay with the given notes of the scale provided but I found it hard to use a major pentatonic and not a 3 note per string pattern, especially with timing, repeating certain phrases unconsciously, and getting a faster phrase in timing. I left the warts and all in instead of trying to overdub them out. I fell off time at times and lost it here and there.

I also made a small edit to the backing track. I added four measures of the backing to the front end as a rhythm intro rather than trying to start immediately or starting a 4 measure section off and being somewhat out of sync with the drum loop as far as phrasing goes.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/amajor1

Good job Gene! This exercise is a very good training for your ear as well. It can be tricky to create interesting lines with a few notes and staying on the same part of the neck but it's an interesting exercise for our mind to try all the possible variations.

There are some elements that you can try:

- String skipping: Create phrases and melodies skipping strings. You'll get new ideas.

- Practice sequences and then create phrases that combine them with other melodies. Be creative.

Sequence examples:

Attached Image

Attached Image

- Use arpeggio shapes to find to runs into the scale:

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 18 2016, 05:11 PM) *
Take 6.

I was feeling happy and I think it comes through as good as it can with my current skill set.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-6

Well done Phil! This is much more musical and has more rhythm variation! You are definitely on the right track with your practice. Check out the ideas I've just shared over this post.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 19 2016, 10:06 PM
Thanks Gab,

I've been working for only a short time tonight as I got stuck late at work sad.gif I have been trying the sequences, they are unfamiliar at the moment so I need to get familiar with them. I think it is going back a string that confuses my fingers at the moment, when you play scales you go one way across the fretboard then back but not up a few notes and back one, but I do understand the idea smile.gif

I don't fully understand what you mean when you said "Use arpeggio shapes to find to runs into the scale:"

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Jan 20 2016, 01:02 AM
I am totally jumping on this. My soloing and theory know-how definitely need some work.

I haven't been on GMC since 2008, learned a lot back then and now I want to clean up what I've learned since! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Jan 20 2016, 02:30 AM
1st shot at wingin' it! Bring on the pain!! blink.gif biggrin.gif

XD A MAJOR!!!

https://soundcloud.com/cavan-w-short/gmc-a-minor-jam-1-19-15

This post has been edited by GuitarsANDtattoos: Jan 20 2016, 05:36 AM

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 20 2016, 04:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GuitarsANDtattoos @ Jan 19 2016, 10:30 PM) *
1st shot at wingin' it! Bring on the pain!! blink.gif biggrin.gif

XD A MAJOR!!!

https://soundcloud.com/cavan-w-short/gmc-a-minor-jam-1-19-15

Hi and welcome to this workout! smile.gif

Your take shows that you are doing an interesting search with this task. You tend to be melodic and seem to be always searching for clear phrases and the use of different elements to make them sound always unpredictable. This is definitely the right track in this work.

I recommend you to continue exploring and experimenting with this, trying different rhythms and note lenghts. You can also check this suggestions: LINK

And then share a new take. Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 20 2016, 06:02 PM
Hello Gab ,

Can you explain what I mentioned in my last post here please.

Thanks buddy

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 20 2016, 11:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 19 2016, 06:06 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I've been working for only a short time tonight as I got stuck late at work sad.gif I have been trying the sequences, they are unfamiliar at the moment so I need to get familiar with them. I think it is going back a string that confuses my fingers at the moment, when you play scales you go one way across the fretboard then back but not up a few notes and back one, but I do understand the idea smile.gif

I don't fully understand what you mean when you said "Use arpeggio shapes to find to runs into the scale:"

Cheers

Shapes like arpeggios, triads or other stuff like that can make you play scales in different ways, and notes in different orders (different combination of notes). That what I mean by that phrase, does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 20 2016, 11:30 PM
Thanks Gab
It doesn't really make sense to me but it's not you, it's a language thing. I'll have a good think about it wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:48 AM