Opeth Meets Porcupine Tree
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2012, 05:39 PM
Instructor
Hi guys! I just discovered this collaboration made by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth). Both musicians are so talented so when I knew about this project I decided to check youtube and this is what I found...

http://stormcorrosion.com/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2012, 06:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 14 2012, 03:26 AM) *
Thanks for sharing Gab. I knew about this collaboration and I have seen this clip the day it came out. I really like it. As you say both guys are very talented so it is not surprising that what came out is very interesting. The video clip is very original and the story is very nice in my opinion.

About Heritage, I don't understand the fuzz going on over the internet. Damnation was also without growling vocals and was quite soft. I really like it. I think this is what makes Opeth so unique, their diverse style. Many bands out there, that make great music, just keep doing the same album and it becomes very boring and predictable after a while. Opeth is one of the very few bands that I can listen to over and over again without being bored for this reason..

Opeth lovers maybe will hate me but Damnation is one of my favorites by them.

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jun 14 2012, 04:42 AM) *
I have to agree. I ----ing love that album to no end.

As for this song, I like the dark atmosphere, but I just can't seem to get too into any music that Steven Wilson writes. For some reason, I don't feel any emotion in his playing or writing. The only Porcupine Tree album I can really get into is 'Fear of a Blank Planet'. I did like the instrumentation and the overall Prog feel of this song, but something still felt amiss, which is what I usually experience with Porcupine Tree. I wish I knew what it was, because everyone keeps telling me that I am missing out.

This is curious mate! I really enjoy every Steven Wilson album... Pocupine, Blackfield, his solo albums...

These are my two favorite songs:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jun 14 2012, 11:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 14 2012, 05:53 PM) *
Opeth lovers maybe will hate me but Damnation is one of my favorites by them.

This is curious mate! I really enjoy every Steven Wilson album... Pocupine, Blackfield, his solo albums...

That second song reminds me quite a bit of the 'Fear of a Blank Planet' album.

To me 'In Absentia' has this "lifeless" feeling to it. It is something that I encounter a lot with modern Muzak(See what I did there?) and I think it might have to do with ProTools and extreme editing. It just doesn't sound or feel organic to me. When we compare it to something like Heritage(Steven Wilson did all the Editing and Production work for this album), it feels very much alive.

PS. Damnation is amazing. Every album by Opeth is amazing. Watershed is still my favourite though. They had a LOT of Psychedelic and Prog influences on it.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Gabriel Leopardi   Opeth Meets Porcupine Tree   Jun 13 2012, 05:39 PM
- - ringmar   I love Opeth, up to Watershed. Didn't like He...   Jun 13 2012, 08:53 PM
- - MonkeyDAthos   i totally don't understand the amount of disli...   Jun 13 2012, 10:02 PM
|- - Opetholic   Thanks for sharing Gab. I knew about this collabor...   Jun 14 2012, 07:26 AM
||- - Cosmin Lupu   It's atmospheric and maybe a bit..creepy? But...   Jun 14 2012, 08:34 AM
nnn
|- - Nihilist1   QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jun 13 2012, 09:02 ...   Jun 14 2012, 08:42 AM
|- - ringmar   QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jun 13 2012, 09:02 ...   Jun 15 2012, 02:58 PM
nnn
|- - Cosmin Lupu   I'll go for The Sound of Muzak anytime man I ...   Jun 14 2012, 06:55 PM
|- - Gabriel Leopardi   QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jun 14 2012, 07:41 PM)...   Jun 15 2012, 12:02 AM
nnn
nnn
- - DeGroot   Yes! I've been waiting for this one. He...   Jun 14 2012, 07:05 PM
- - Ben Higgins   i thought the song was pretty cool but the video ...   Jun 15 2012, 08:42 AM
|- - Opetholic   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 15 2012, 07:42 A...   Jun 15 2012, 09:28 AM
nnn
- - Todd Simpson   Very spiff video! I dig the shadow puppet look...   Jun 16 2012, 09:40 AM
- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 16 2012, 09:40 ...   Jun 16 2012, 12:56 PM
- - Gabriel Leopardi   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 16 2012, 08:56 A...   Jun 16 2012, 07:42 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:24 PM