Looking For Some Classic Blues Music Recommendations, (Hope this is the right forum to ask!)
Fran
Dec 2 2007, 11:04 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hello all!

This is my first post in the forum, and I must say I'm glad I joined this site because so far I'm loving the lessons and the boards. Lots of interesting stuff to read smile.gif

I hope I'm posting this at the right place, if not please tell me where to post this kind of question in the future.

I'm a beginner guitar player, and so far I'm having fun doing some lessons on metal, but also getting to know the frets using the pentatonic scales, and practising over a shuffle backing from my Fender G-Dec Jr. amp.

It's great, I wish I had had this amp back in the day, 12 years ago, when I started playing. I quit for many many years, now I'm back with the 6 strings again.

The thing is that I'm beginning to feel comfortable playing these pentatonic scales, but I don't really know of any good artist to listen to that does blues. I usually listen to hard rock, metal, alternative and many other styles but not blues.

I can think of BB King, Gary Moore and maybe Eric Clapton, but maybe you guys can tell me some other famous artists which are important in the blues genre, so I can listen to them and see what they do.

Thanks in advance!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Robin
Dec 2 2007, 11:17 PM
GMC:er
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Johnny Winter are imo very important to listen to if you want to play electric blues guitar. Also Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Hendrix, ZZ top etc. etc.

I personally prefer older/acoustic stuff like Snooks Eaglin, Robert jr. Lockwood, Robert Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker and so on. I used to think it was boring, but now I like it much better than most modern electric blues players.

Check out GMC's blues lessons aswell.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 2 2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks Robin for the fast reply!

I'll look into all those and see how I like them.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 2 2007, 11:25 PM
Instructor
Sure man, check out Robert Johnson, SKip James, Bukka White, Lightnin Hopkins, Howlin Wolf from the classics... Try some BBking, Freddy King and ALbert King from the "new" ones. Also listen to SRV. Hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 2 2007, 11:38 PM
Nice, I have tons of research to do now.

I'll start with SRV, and follow with the rest.

Not that I will be able to play anything even close to that, that's for sure, but I guess I have to listen to them if I want to know what real blues sounds like.

This post has been edited by Fran: Dec 2 2007, 11:39 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 2 2007, 11:53 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Fran and welcome to the forums smile.gif .

Apart from those already mentioned I'd add Robben Ford and Scott Henderson - both fuse blues with jazz and so move beyond the pentatonic in some very interesting ways. For electric guitar blues Peter Green, Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher and Alexis Korner give a great British Blues vibe and Mike Bloomfield was a great US electric player - sadly often ignored - who played in Electric Flag. Otis Rush is also worth a look.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:35 PM