7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
My Amp Building Journey, Its a kind of blog ...
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 10 2007, 07:49 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
+1 for the chicken heads - more in keeping wih the vibe I think you are after.

As it's a low wattage amp personally I'd leave it as triode Andrew. But it's a matter of personal taste...

The only thing I miss on my tube amp is an effects loop. To compensate in part I use an external Radial Tonebone loop controller. But I kind of still would like to have a loop on the amp...

Cheers,
Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 10 2007, 08:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 9 2007, 12:47 PM) *
[attachment=1691:attachment]

Ohohoho...you've been busy Andrew,that's for sure!! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 10 2007, 09:23 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 10 2007, 02:49 AM) *
+1 for the chicken heads - more in keeping wih the vibe I think you are after.

As it's a low wattage amp personally I'd leave it as triode Andrew. But it's a matter of personal taste...

The only thing I miss on my tube amp is an effects loop. To compensate in part I use an external Radial Tonebone loop controller. But I kind of still would like to have a loop on the amp...

Cheers,
Tony

Well its a pentode design based on an EL34 for the power stage, but I was thinking of adding a triode switch to see what it sounds like (and make it quieter), although I should be getting the attenuator in a week or so ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
buttmonk
Sep 11 2007, 01:55 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 14 2007, 12:33 PM) *
Very interested andrew, I'm still going to be building my guitar

Sorry if bit off topic. Are u gunna do a totally custom build or base it on a kit? Just interested cos I completed a Carvin Bolt+ kit a few months back and am now just starting on a USA Custom Guitars based guitar (which will be the dogs danglies:) ). The neck will be USACG and finished by me, the body is a blank which I will shape myself.

After that I was thinking building a tube amp, and I guess that after reading ths thread that will now turn out to be 1 of the AX84 variants. Thanks Andrew, am looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished product!

This post has been edited by buttmonk: Sep 11 2007, 03:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 11 2007, 02:41 AM
QUOTE (buttmonk @ Sep 10 2007, 08:55 PM) *
Sorry if bit off topic. Are u gunna do a totally custom build or base it on a kit? Just interested cos I completed a Carvin Bolt+ kit a few months back and am now just starting on a USA Custom Guitars based guitar (which will be the dogs danglies:) ). The neck will be USACG and finished by me, the body is a blank which I will shape myself.

After that I was thinking building a tube amp, and I guess that after reading ths thread that will now turn out to be 1 of the AX84 variants. Thanks Andrew, am looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished product!

I based it on a kit from Doberman Amps:

http://dobermanamps.com/

Run by the guy that founded AX84.com. Its not a kit in the sense that there are exhaustive instructions - what you see on the website is all there is, its really just saving you the effort of ordering parts and drilling the chassis and making the board yourself. You really need to have some understanding of electronics if you want to build AX84 designs - although people are helpful on the forums there is a certain basic level of knowledge required. This was fine for me, and probably you too since you have built the electrics in your guitar at least, I didn't research more thorough options as I was happy with what AX84 had.

As you can see form my posts I have decided to dispense with the card anyway and make my own based on turret board - I'll let you know how that turns out.

I'd be very pleased if you decided to follow my example and build an amp as well smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
buttmonk
Sep 11 2007, 03:16 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 11 2007, 04:41 AM) *
I based it on a kit from Doberman Amps:

http://dobermanamps.com/

Run by the guy that founded AX84.com. Its not a kit in the sense that there are exhaustive instructions - what you see on the website is all there is, its really just saving you the effort of ordering parts and drilling the chassis and making the board yourself. You really need to have some understanding of electronics if you want to build AX84 designs - although people are helpful on the forums there is a certain basic level of knowledge required. This was fine for me, and probably you too since you have built the electrics in your guitar at least, I didn't research more thorough options as I was happy with what AX84 had.

As you can see form my posts I have decided to dispense with the card anyway and make my own based on turret board - I'll let you know how that turns out.

I'd be very pleased if you decided to follow my example and build an amp as well smile.gif

Sorry Andrew, I think I have confused things here. My last post was really asking JVM about the guitar he was gunna build but that was not clear in my post. Anyways, I will forget about that since this is a thread about amps. Thanks for the additional comments and info tho:)

This post has been edited by buttmonk: Sep 11 2007, 03:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 11 2007, 03:55 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 10 2007, 02:23 AM) *
Well its a pentode design based on an EL34 for the power stage, but I was thinking of adding a triode switch to see what it sounds like (and make it quieter), although I should be getting the attenuator in a week or so ...

My stupid Andrew - hadn't noted it was a pentode. Yes then pentode/triode and if it was me I'd keep it in triode rolleyes.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 11 2007, 04:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (buttmonk @ Sep 10 2007, 02:16 PM) *
Sorry Andrew, I think I have confused things here. My last post was really asking JVM about the guitar he was gunna build but that was not clear in my post. Anyways, I will forget about that since this is a thread about amps. Thanks for the additional comments and info tho:)

Well I'm going to order parts from a bunch of different places, so it won't be like I cut out the body myself (especially since I decided I want it to be a chambered body style - no way I'm attempting that on my own!) but it won't be a kit either. And I may eventually follow andrews amp building footsteps smile.gif

This post has been edited by JVM: Sep 11 2007, 04:07 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
buttmonk
Sep 12 2007, 02:37 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Sep 11 2007, 06:07 AM) *
Well I'm going to order parts from a bunch of different places, so it won't be like I cut out the body myself (especially since I decided I want it to be a chambered body style - no way I'm attempting that on my own!) but it won't be a kit either. And I may eventually follow andrews amp building footsteps smile.gif

Cool. Be sure to post a blog of ur build on the forum in the Cockburn style...smile.gif I will be doing the same, praps Kris should start a DIY forum... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Sep 19 2007, 01:48 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hows the amp going Andrew? any progress lately?

-Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Sep 19 2007, 01:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 19 2007, 04:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (benhowell @ Sep 19 2007, 02:48 AM) *
Hows the amp going Andrew? any progress lately?

-Ben

I think Andrew's amp is Nuclear Powered so he wants to make it a big surprise wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 19 2007, 06:14 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 18 2007, 11:51 PM) *
I think Andrew's amp is Nuclear Powered so he wants to make it a big surprise wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I'm on vacation in the UK at the moment so the next stages will occur when I return - maybe this Sunday or the weekend after depending on how things go, I'll keep you all up to date!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 19 2007, 06:55 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 19 2007, 06:14 PM) *
I'm on vacation in the UK at the moment

Hoorah !! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Sep 19 2007, 06:57 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Ha ha i see.

Hope your enjoying the UK's lovely weather!

Cant wait to hear the amp!

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 19 2007, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 19 2007, 11:14 AM) *
I'm on vacation in the UK at the moment so the next stages will occur when I return - maybe this Sunday or the weekend after depending on how things go, I'll keep you all up to date!

You mean you didn't take it with you to work on? What sort of holiday is that laugh.gif . Next you'll be telling us you left the Jem at home laugh.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

ps - hope you have great, and well earned, holiday

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 19 2007, 08:17 PM
Learning Roadie
..you didn't leave the Jem at home did you? ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 19 2007, 11:47 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Sep 19 2007, 03:17 PM) *
..you didn't leave the Jem at home did you? ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

Um, yes ... blink.gif my friend I am jamming with does have a really nasty fender strat copy copy (double word intentional!!) it sucks, but we are doing mostly acoustic stuff at the moment anyway, and he has a nice Takamine.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 24 2007, 09:36 PM
Update :

Ok, back from my vacation. While I was away, I took delivery of an oscilloscope and signal generator. Neither are essential for building an amplifier, but they can be useful for scoping input vs output, measuring gain and also for setting and checking tube biases. Besides, I wanted an excuse to get another Oscilloscope! The Scope was bought from a nice guy on AX84.com, and I bought the signal generator from Ebay.

Attached Image

Its fairly basic - only 20Mhz, which is great for audio but not up to digital and radio applications, but the price was right and it will do everything I need. Its used, but in good working order.

The other big news is that the cab arrived from Mojotone. It looks really cool, and seems to fit my chassis pretty well - I had a long email discussion with Mojo about dimentsions and they helped me to specify exactly what I want. The only slight issue is going to be travel of the knobs I think, but I might get away with it.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The next step was to mount the speaker ...

Attached Image

Looks good in there smile.gif

Now I need to get through this next week, and I have some more vacation time around next weekend. I am going to see Steve Vai in Atlantic City, but there will be a lot of other time to work on my amp. I have to build the turret board, solder in the components and hook it up to the chassis wires - then I will be into testing. I am hoping to get a lot of that done around next weekend.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 24 2007, 09:55 PM
Instructor
Nice cab Andrew,can't wait to see more!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2007, 10:14 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Sep 24 2007, 02:55 PM) *
Nice cab Andrew,can't wait to see more!! smile.gif

+1 - great cab smile.gif .

The scope kind of brings back (mostly good) memories of A level physics wink.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:24 PM