Double Locking Tremolo Problem
kerupt
May 13 2007, 12:08 AM
GMC:er
So discovered that the double locking tremolo on my new Ibanez was causing the guitar to go out of tune quite quickly. I went through and adjusted it so it was even with the body of the guitar, however now, when I try to tune it, by the time i've gone through all 6 strings and tuned each one individually, every other one besides the last one i tuned is out of tune. blink.gif
Confused and looking for help if anyone can! Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rvddps
May 13 2007, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (kerupt @ May 13 2007, 12:08 AM) *
So discovered that the double locking tremolo on my new Ibanez was causing the guitar to go out of tune quite quickly. I went through and adjusted it so it was even with the body of the guitar, however now, when I try to tune it, by the time i've gone through all 6 strings and tuned each one individually, every other one besides the last one i tuned is out of tune. blink.gif
Confused and looking for help if anyone can! Thanks!

Right, here we go, i don't have all night, but ill try my best.. anyway...

basically, the trem relies on a balance between string tension, and spring tension. You set your bridge to go parallel, thats only part of it. I don't agree with the people who say you should set it parallel, actually, mine is partially sunk into the cavity, but it keeps tune perfect, so dont go by perfectly parallel all of the time. that was my first point. anyway, since its all about balance, if you tune one string, naturally the others will go out. The way to fix your guitar is...

open the locking nut.
tune strings from low E to high E
repeat
repeat once again until all strings are in tune. This has given you balance. Now
look to see if it is close to parallel. is it? if its way off, adjust the screws, if its not, lock the nut and fine tune.
when its perfect, do a good number of divebombs and check tuning again. This is the worst part of all. Right, what will happen here is that you will have to make tiny adjustments to the screws in the back depending on whether its gone sharp or flat. For instance, if the string gone flat, you will need to tighten the screws, and if they're high, loosen them. Also, take note - say if the GBE strings are fine, but the others are high, then you will only adjust the thicker strings screw, in this case loosen it slightly.

right, i hope this has helped, i have to now, but tell me if it worked and if you understood it ok

Rv

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 13 2007, 12:27 AM
Yep that's the double locking tremolo blues. If you use completely new sets of strings you'll have to go through various tuning steps.

What happens is that you have 6 strings building pressure on one side and 2-3 springs on the other. Now if you tune a string a higher note you are increasing the pressure on that string (releasing some pressure on the other strings)
Until having the perfect balance (all strings with proper pressure vs the springs below) you'll have to go through multiple tuning stages. If your tremolo is well configured the best first step is to (without tuning) put enough pressure on all 6 strings that the tremolo is in a perfect straight floating position.
Then you'd usually tune 3 - 6 times until having it set.

Don't forget to lock the nut otherwise it's all for naught....

+Quote Post
kerupt
May 13 2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks! You guys really nailed it! Got it working perfectly now! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Speedeh
May 13 2007, 07:45 AM
So I've seen a lot of pain caused by these types of bridges and I must know: What are the playing/tone advantages of this Floyd Rose and his seemingly evil offspring (get it? spring - tremolo?? haha) if any?

This post has been edited by Speedeh: May 13 2007, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
ezravdb
May 13 2007, 10:16 AM
ok, but now the notes on the 12th fret on my guitar are why too high pithced for an 12th fret note, does that makes sense? the higher i play up the neck the notes are getting more off.
which screw do I have to adjust and which way?
I think I already know which screw but I haven't any experience with it please help!

thanks E.

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 13 2007, 11:10 AM
Instructor
Here is the Ibanez guitars manual. Your problem is INTONATION - it's explained there!

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/maintenan...e350d247947.pdf

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Rvddps
May 13 2007, 01:35 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 13 2007, 11:10 AM) *
Here is the Ibanez guitars manual. Your problem is INTONATION - it's explained there!

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/maintenan...e350d247947.pdf

aww, pavel beat me too it! but i warn you, adjusting the tuss rod is a bad idea if you don't know what you're doing, and you may break your guitar, so if i were you id take it to a tech.

oh, and im glad you got your trem working smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 13 2007, 02:37 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
And always make sure you tune starting from High E To Low E.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:29 AM