Midi On A Guitar?, Possible or just a dream..
Nobody
May 9 2009, 09:12 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys :]
Long time no see, but i'm here again with a question that troubled my mind before going to sleep :]
How can a regular guitar be used as a midi interface? And triggered trough some kind of footswitch, to turn Midi controll on and off.
Is this possible and does a guitar need to have it when it is manufactured or it can be added on a regular guitar?

P.S. I know that Warr Guitars have Midi Controller installed but they don't have much in common with a normal guitar..

Cheers.
Hristiyan.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
jafomatic
May 9 2009, 09:28 PM
There's always the Parker Fly MIDI over which I've been drooling.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
skennington
May 9 2009, 09:30 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Check this guy out, he's been doing quite a bit with Midi and Jackson guitars..

+Quote Post
Nobody
May 9 2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah basicly that's what i'm looking for. I don't like Jackson guitars at all but is there some cheaper option for other guitars?
Also this Parker model is nice but is costs as much as a Warr Guitar and those are out of this world so it isn't much worth it.

And by the way Skennington, what is the name of this guy and what guitar is he using? Is it some custom?

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 9 2009, 09:56 PM
I don`t understand a bit, so it`s like synth and guitar in one? Anyways he ruined that Jackson =\

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 9 2009, 09:56 PM
QUOTE (Nobody @ May 9 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Yeah basicly that's what i'm looking for. I don't like Jackson guitars at all but is there some cheaper option for other guitars?
Also this Parker model is nice but is costs as much as a Warr Guitar and those are out of this world so it isn't much worth it.

And by the way Skennington, what is the name of this guy and what guitar is he using? Is it some custom?

The parker simply has a GK3 pickup built in for you. For just the midi pickup itself, the cost is significantly less.

Look for Roland GK3-Divided, I guess? There may be other models, but the roland was the brand I had an opportunity to play through back in the early 90's and it was a real blast. Even better now, from what I have been able to hear.

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
skennington
May 9 2009, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (Nobody @ May 9 2009, 04:50 PM) *

It's DK2M pro with a custom hardwired Roland GK3 into a Monkey pedal board. I think Trond has a lesson here where he uses one.

Here's the GK3.. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK3/

Trond's Lesson.. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/slow-soloing/

+Quote Post
Nobody
May 9 2009, 10:17 PM
Wow this Roland GK3 really looks nice. I can even use it with my regular guitar without having to frankenstein with it :]
Well I am definately going to give this a try and we hope I'll be able to hook it up on a Xiphos :]

Thanks a lot guys, I would've never though that there is such device :]

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 9 2009, 10:56 PM
Instructor
I thought you were asking about guitar that has
Midi controller on it so you could switch presets on amp/processor etc, my bad. biggrin.gif

Try this, no drilling, work very nice. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: May 9 2009, 10:57 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 9 2009, 10:56 PM
Instructor
You can also use the Sonuus G2M device.
No pickups to install and pretty cheap.
Only thing is that it is monophonic, no chords allowed!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 9 2009, 10:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ May 9 2009, 11:56 PM) *
You can also use the Sonuus G2M device.
No pickups to install and pretty cheap.
Only thing is that it is monophonic, no chords allowed!

laugh.gif I just putted link to Sonuus.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 9 2009, 11:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 9 2009, 05:56 PM) *
I thought you were asking about guitar that has
Midi controller on it so you could switch presets on amp/processor etc, my bad. biggrin.gif

Try this, no drilling, work very nice. wink.gif

Haha!
We're on the same page Muris! tongue.gif

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nobody
May 9 2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah actually i was looking also for a guitar that has one. Actually i didn't think it was possible because guitar as a midi interface looked too good to be true so i'm completely new to it :]

Ah.. Mono doesn't sound good :/ I'd really like to have a guitar with grand piano sounds and play with chords with ninths :]

And i thought of one more thing - if i actually get one of these and run it I can switch trough the normal guitar and midi guitar mode but how am I going to switch the different tones/vst's? I hope i don't have to hire someone to change VST's on a laptop. :]

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 9 2009, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (Nobody @ May 9 2009, 05:22 PM) *
And i thought of one more thing - if i actually get one of these and run it I can switch trough the normal guitar and midi guitar mode but how am I going to switch the different tones/vst's? I hope i don't have to hire someone to change VST's on a laptop. :]

The GK3 has a switch that will mix the outputs between regular and midi. Further it has patch buttons (up/down) as well. You can also see them in the electronics, near the pots, on parker's midi model.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 9 2009, 11:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nobody @ May 10 2009, 12:22 AM) *
Ah.. Mono doesn't sound good :/ I'd really like to have a guitar with grand piano sounds and play with chords with ninths :]

There is hardly a guitar WITH sounds on it,
all you can do is to send midi signal from it and then
trigger sound using VST instrument, real keyboard etc. smile.gif

QUOTE (Nobody @ May 10 2009, 12:22 AM) *

That would have to be an advanced Midi interface on guitar,
it's not impossible tho I guess, to send just signal for notes
and more info to change preset on VST.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Nobody
May 10 2009, 01:05 AM
Hm.. The way I imagined it is some kind of footswitch that interacts with Cubase for example (not the guitar) to change presets and VSTs.

And actually i'm not pretty sure about the way this Roland GT3 works. Now I saw:

"Divided guitar pickup for use with Roland V-Guitar System, GR-20 Guitar Synthesizer, or BOSS GK Effect Pedals"

Does this mean I can't just hook it up directly to a laptop with Cubase and load VSTs from it?

Guys, by the way thanks for the help. I know i'm a nuisance at the moment but I really want to know how this works and google doesn't give me much info :/

This post has been edited by Nobody: May 10 2009, 01:10 AM

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
skennington
May 10 2009, 01:38 AM
Here's a really cool tutorial from Robert Marcello using the GK-3 and the GR-20 pedal. This set up may be what you are looking for.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 10 2009, 10:41 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
There have been a number of guitars made commercially (ie not individual luthier ones) that included a midi hexaphonic pickup.

Currently in production are the Midifly Parker, John Birch M3 and some Brian Moore i-guitars.

Discontinued ones - but you may be able to get on Ebay or similar - Roland made several back in the 80s GR30 etc. Fender made (now discontinued) a Strat with a Roland hex pickup. Godin made several synth access models and Kaman/Ovation had one. There was also the rather nice but very expensive synthax (cost something like 12000 pounds new back in the late 80s).

A few things:

If you intend to use Vsts then be aware that the GR20 is both the midi interface and contains a limited midi synth engine. The latter generates it's own on-board synth sounds - if you want only to use vsts you don't need this - Axon make a 'dumb' interface and Roland make the Gi-20 which is the 'dumb' version of the GR20. The 'dumb' (ie no inbuilt synth) versions may be a bit cheaper.

Roland V-Guitar - I may be wrong as I've never used one but whilst it accepts the Hexaphonic signal in I don't think it can act as a guitar midi controller for vsts at all. I don't think it does the guitar signal to midi conversion that the GR20 or Gi20 do. The V-guitar, I think, is more about using multiple guitar/amp voices/types.

I also use a Roland system mounted on an LP - there are alternatives to the Roland - Axon and the Yamaha G50 (a rebranded old model Axon). Many users say that you get lower latency from the Axon system then the Roland so it may be worth checking out smile.gif .

Midi guitar isn't zero latency - latency however is usually manageable but what most players actually struggle with isn't latency but altering their style of playing to suit the sound patch. If you use a sound which takes time to swell up and develop you can't play 200bpm 16ths and expect it to work. Similarly some sounds work with slides,bends etc and some don't.

If you want the system to track accurately then you need to be able to send a very clean signal to it. So you need to be able to play notes cleanly and distinctly. In some ways a midi system is a good way of forcing people to clean up their technique wink.gif.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 10 2009, 03:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 10 2009, 11:41 AM) *
Midi guitar isn't zero latency - latency however is usually manageable but what most players actually struggle with isn't latency but altering their style of playing to suit the sound patch. If you use a sound which takes time to swell up and develop you can't play 200bpm 16ths and expect it to work.

Very well said Tony, some samples just don't react as string on guitar
and we have to face that. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: May 10 2009, 03:53 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 10 2009, 05:53 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 10 2009, 04:52 PM) *
Very well said Tony, some samples just don't react as string on guitar
and we have to face that. smile.gif

For some of us, as in myself, reacts so slowly anyway that this isn't a problem laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:13 PM